RIP Thatcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
One thing I keep seeing among all the legitimate criticisms is a very odd stick being used to beat Thatcher: that she called Nelson Mandela a terrorist. Now, if a founding member of a terrorist organisation responsible for a series of bombings and terrorist attacks resulting in the deaths of many innocent people isn't a terrorist, who is?

He was in prison when the deaths of innocent people happened. Was he responsible for things that happened when he was locked up?

Biffa Bacon

Then the people who are circulating it are morons as it isn't going to be a state funeral.

It may not be a state funeral but it is a ceremonial funeral with full military honours paid for by the state and held at St Pauls. Some people are having trouble seeing the difference.

spionfox

It may not be a state funeral but it is a ceremonial funeral with full military honours paid for by the state and held at St Pauls. Some people are having trouble seeing the difference.

In that case I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous comment :icon_wink

David Gwilliam

This is doing the rounds on social media:

View attachment 10330

Very good Biffa. One of the few good things about the present contoversy is that people are remembering Attlee although what a pity they did not bother to find out how to spell his name.

I do not think it is nostalgia that says that generally the Prime Ministers of both parties before 1979 were better than those since.

SJN-Fox

Very good Biffa. One of the few good things about the present contoversy is that people are remembering Attlee although what a pity they did not bother to find out how to spell his name.

I do not think it is nostalgia that says that generally the Prime Ministers of both parties before 1979 were better than those since.

You were saying?

Macky

Gruntled Member
I'd say he's responsible for the terrorist attacks he authorised, certainly.

The objection is the way in which she used the term 'terrorist' as a pejorative attack on a man who was a hero and a righteous freedom fighter.
Thankfully though I know that you are quite aware that the term 'terrorist' is entirely subjective and could equally be applied to Mrs T herself

popillius

-

I was talking about the posts in which you were bad mannered toward Camberwell and used an obscenity. I also believe that language like "cancerous polyp on the anus of Britain" damages political discourse.

Had I been involved in serious political discourse with others who understood the subject at hand fully, as opposed to responding to one or two ridiculous comments on a football forum, perhaps I would have chosen my words with more sensitivity.

I suppose calling soneone an 'arsehole' doesn't merit your metaphorical 'slap on the wrist' for bad manners? It isn't bad manners to suggest that someone should carry out proper research before posting nonsense....or to respond to those comments in the manner they deserve.

If what I write offends you, ignore it. If you choose to comment upon it, at least make more justified arguments having assessed the whole thread of a conversation rather than picking up on a line or two and making the rest up as you go along.

Your insistence that Thatcher did good for this nation doesn't make you a bad person or a Thatcherist I agree, but hating her and everything she stood for and losing no sleep over the death of a wicked, parasitic octogenarian who brought a nation to its knees, doesn't make me a bad person either or a 'Loony Lefty'. Another fairly offensive term (to some) that you have failed to comment upon in the same way.

I've said before, your posts are more often than not, insightful, well crafted and entertaining. I enjoy them. But just because I choose to use terms that may be more colourful or ardent than the linguistic choices you make, doesn't make them any less valid. Shall we put all of this behind us now and hug? See, I'm a nice person (sometimes).

Mawsley

Had I been involved in serious political discourse with others who understood the subject at hand fully, as opposed to responding to one or two ridiculous comments on a football forum, perhaps I would have chosen my words with more sensitivity.

I suppose calling soneone an 'arsehole' doesn't merit your metaphorical 'slap on the wrist' for bad manners? It isn't bad manners to suggest that someone should carry out proper research before posting nonsense....or to respond to those comments in the manner they deserve.

If what I write offends you, ignore it. If you choose to comment upon it, at least make more justified arguments having assessed the whole thread of a conversation rather than picking up on a line or two and making the rest up as you go along.

Your insistence that Thatcher did good for this nation doesn't make you a bad person or a Thatcherist I agree, but hating her and everything she stood for and losing no sleep over the death of a wicked, parasitic octogenarian who brought a nation to its knees, doesn't make me a bad person either or a 'Loony Lefty'. Another fairly offensive term (to some) that you have failed to comment upon in the same way.

I've said before, your posts are more often than not, insightful, well crafted and entertaining. I enjoy them. But just because I choose to use terms that may be more colourful or ardent than the linguistic choices you make, doesn't make them any less valid. Shall we put all of this behind us now and hug? See, I'm a nice person (sometimes).

**** yeh.

Macky

Gruntled Member
Shall we put all of this behind us now and hug?

Yeah, come on Mr G, let's all have a big, manly hug together. You know you want to really and I promise that I'll keep my top on.

MKFox

Yeah, come on Mr G, let's all have a big, manly hug together. You know you want to really and I promise you some tromboning action.

oof, ya beast...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670