RIP Thatcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my very limited interest in politics what she did to the trade unions and particularly the NUM was long overdue.

He unions had too much power and were the architects of their own downfall.

If some on here are referring to the Falklands then once again she was not alone in 'creating' the right atmosphere to drive a country to conflict and she certainly doesn't sit alone on that table in this country.

Outside of stopping free school milk, I genuinely don't comprehend the OTT animosity towards her. I would genuinely like to understand it.
Haters gonna hate.

Then, with the most respect I can muster, try doing some proper research rather than expecting comprehensive answers on a football forum.

I wasn't expecting a thesis Maws, just as I did a couple (or however many are necessary) of bullet points to broaden the discussion.

I am not claiming to be an expert but I lived through this era and have some first hand limited experience on the effects of the miners strike.

If no one wants/can't be bothered or sees my question as ignorant than that is their prerogative.

Just asking like.

..didn't the pits around Coalville close because the coal ran out? Desford had geological problems and had to close.. then Bagworth was so efficient (think it still holds an efficiency record) that they dug all the coal out 3 years earlier than predicted.

Thanks Bob but not quite what I meant. I could and have read articles on MT, I was more asking what personally makes some posters angry on here as I would have thought that this hatred was and clearly still is driven from personal experience rather than an article.

No problem. It's always seems to me that a lot of what makes people hate Thatcher is their own impotence in fighting against her. She was all-powerful and got things done - and I say that as somebody who was against many of the things she did.

Bought the jelly and ice cream.

Any chance of George Galloway snuffing it before too long so I don't have to go out again?

To give Mrs Thatcher credit before she got into parliament she worked as a chemist and helped invent whipped ice cream.

Greece is what it is today as a direct result of the type economic and fiscal policies that she championed

No it is not. To grossly oversimplify a complicated matter the problem with Greece is that the weak economy of Greece shares the same currency as the strong German economy. Mrs Thatcher was against a common European currency.

Some of us don't have to, we lived through it. .

People who lived through the 1980s may understand their own period in History but if so they are the first generation that ever has.

There isn't a simple answer to your simple question, plus hatred of her isn't restricted to her domestic policies and wouldn't be the primary reason on my list.

Macky, over the years I have followed your coments on History with great pleasure but the first half of your sentence is the wisest thing you have written.

I am surprised that you concentrate on Thatcher's foreign policy I thought at the time that the two great themes of her foreign policy - encouraging democratic movements in Eastern Europe and trying to avoid the concentration of power in Brussels - were quite right.

I thought then that much of her domestic policy was sheer vandalism.Outsourcing in the NHS has been a disaster. The National Curriculum vandalised an excellent education system. Her attitude toward Scotland led to a process that may lead to the break up of the United Kingdom. She was extremely able but suffered from a lack of compassion. In the old cliche she knew the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Discussing Mrs Thatcher with a Conservative he compared her to Churchill I mocked comparing a tinpot little fascist like Galtieri with the problem of defeating Hitler. In retrospect I wish I had said that that I could not imagine Churchill saying that "there is no such thing as society".

Thanks Bob but not quite what I meant. I could and have read articles on MT, I was more asking what personally makes some posters angry on here as I would have thought that this hatred was and clearly still is driven from personal experience rather than an article.

I would say that this article is EXACTLY what you are looking for if you want understand why people hated this cancerous polyp on the anus of Britain. See the quotations taken from this report below:

'... as heavy industry closed...'
'... a more divided society and the destruction of traditional working-class communities...'
'...squeezing inflation and clamping down on public spending and borrowing - led to a far worse downturn...'
'...England's inner cities saw riots in 1981...'
'...more turmoil - including one of the longest and most bitter industrial disputes in British history...'
'...selling off nationally owned monopolies...'

This is certainly not an exhaustive list. Indeed, it is the poisonous tip on the proverbial iceberg. Less reliance of forums and more study of the history of your own country's politics may reveal more reasons why many of the more sensible posters on here will be losing no sleep as a result of the demise of such an odious, contemptible **** as Thatcher.

I would say that this article is EXACTLY what you are looking for if you want understand why people hated this cancerous polyp on the anus of Britain. See the quotations taken from this report below:

'... as heavy industry closed...'
'... a more divided society and the destruction of traditional working-class communities...'
'...squeezing inflation and clamping down on public spending and borrowing - led to a far worse downturn...'
'...England's inner cities saw riots in 1981...'
'...more turmoil - including one of the longest and most bitter industrial disputes in British history...'
'...selling off nationally owned monopolies...'

This is certainly not an exhaustive list. Indeed, it is the poisonous tip on the proverbial iceberg. Less reliance of forums and more study of the history of your own country's politics may reveal more reasons why many of the more sensible posters on here will be losing no sleep as a result of the demise of such an odious, contemptible **** as Thatcher.

Many thanks for your patronising post, much appreciated.

Your 'cut and paste' job clearly backs up my question for personal references as to why some posters on here hate MT so much.

To call someone on an Internet forum, and without humility, a **** completely waters down your argument let alone your cut and paste job destined to the electronic waste paper basket.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570