RIP Thatcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would have been a clear signal to anyone so inclined that invading British territory would invite no repercussions. I'm sure you can see why that's dangerous.

To be honest, no I can't. I don't believe any state has the right to own colonies thousands of miles across the planet. I'm weird like that though.

To be honest, no I can't. I don't believe any state has the right to own colonies thousands of miles across the planet. I'm weird like that though.
I don't believe any state has the right to annex whatever the **** they want either. Don't even get me started on the concept of countries and empires, because before you know it I'll be talking about the illegitimacy of man-made laws and I'll forget my original point.

I don't believe any state has the right to annex whatever the **** they want either. Don't even get me started on the concept of countries and empires, because before you know it I'll be talking about the illegitimacy of man-made laws and I'll forget my original point.

Your original point was? :icon_bigg

Nothing wrong with being aspirational.

Except it completely ****ed around with the ideologies of social housing and getting people onto the ladder.

It could be strongly argued it created ghettos within estates and a hierachy within them. Therefore having a strong knock-on to social problems such as gang culture. Braunstone is a perfect example of an estate divided by those that could afford properties on one side of the park whilst those on the other side couldn't.

As such the selling of council/social housing now means that housebuilders have a set percentage of housing on each site that they have to 'donate'. Hence alongside a poor market, house builders just don't wanna bother build large scale sites and we have lots of social housing required.

I dislike Thatcher, I am not old enough to be born when she was around but the thing I despise the most about her reign as leader of this country is that she born an attitude which has led to Blair, Brown, Osbourne, Cameron and every other self-servicing, expenses-claiming bastard going. Thatcher showed a few how to profit from your power and now the feckers can't stop.

Will say the Miners Striker is correct on her behalf though. There are facts regards the mines which can not be ignored and they were coming to end. It appears once she got that position of strength however, she went power crazy.

Last edited:

Yea but I would say Thatcher had to make the decision on what actually happens in real life.

Yea but I would say Thatcher had to make the decision on what actually happens in real life.
And you could use the anti-colonial argument against the occupiers of Argentina, who got there after the indeginous population.

You may be right that the Falklands is big enough to go it alone maintaining trade missions, embassies a civil service etc . My guess is that as soon as Britain left Argentina would make the Falklands part of their empire. If you are wrong and the Falklands are not left to govern themselves is it better for them to be part of the Empire they choose or the Empire they do not choose.

Whoever had been Prime Minister would have gone to war over the Falklands as the war had the support of Labour, the Liberals and the SDP. Perhaps most importantly the people who lived in the Falklands supported the war..

So, you can see the bad she did now then? It seemed to be escaping you yesterday

I am glad to see you supporting the idea that people should emphasise both the good and the bad about Thatcher. You go on to ask about the laughable posters here - have you read Polyphus; he is the best poster since Syd.

It must be difficult for young people to understand why if she was as bad as the left make out she won three elections each with a big majority. It was said of Roosevelt that everyone hates him except the voters.
David Cameron called Thatcher "the greatest peace time Prime Minister (Peel? Gladstone?, Attlee?) it must also be difficult for younger readeres to understand why then it was the Conservative Party themselves and not the voters who overthrew her.

The truth is that the 1980s like every period and Mrs Thatcher like every leader was complex. There are no simple answers. Reading this thread you will learn little about Thatcher and a great deal about the prejudices of various posters - and I include myself. I will make one plea - if you are a Daily Mail or Guardian reader do read the other paper as well to get an alternative perspective on her.

Incidentally in "An Evening With Paddy Ashdown" (former LibDem leader) at the Little Theatrer he was asked why he as a leftwinger was a strong supporter of monarchy. His reply was "President Blair President Thatcher".

I wonder if you got an abusive PM from him in the early hours too?!!

You are thoroughly unpleasant. Thatcher your role model then?

As for an abusive PM given your ongoing snivelling attitude it would be well deserved. At least my PM is private but you have chosen to be public about your abusive and bullying behaviour towards me.

Finally as for the fact that the PM was "in the early hours", that has more to do with the fact that I have been having reconstructive dental surgery in South East Asia, including six hours of surgery under general anaesthetic. The time difference accounts for the lateness of the PM.

Given your ongoing whining and wingeing about your original infraction, I am even more convinced of the correctness of that original decision.

As for an abusive PM given your ongoing snivelling attitude it would be well deserved. At least my PM is private but you have chosen to be public about your abusive and bullying behaviour towards me.

Finally as for the fact that the PM was "in the early hours", that has more to do with the fact that I have been having reconstructive dental surgery in South East Asia, including six hours of surgery under general anaesthetic. The time difference accounts for the lateness of the PM.

Given your ongoing whining and wingeing about your original infraction, I am even more convinced of the correctness of that original decision.

Wow.

You may be right that the Falklands is big enough to go it alone maintaining trade missions, embassies a civil service etc .

The Islands were totally unable to maintain a viable population on the Island and it was artificially inflated by the UK in order to give the appearance of being sustainable. Through lack of anything other than farms, a pub and a chip shop meant that there was no draw for the young to remain on the islands.

Leading up to the war the population was in freefall because no one had given it a second thought, had Argentina held back for a couple of years I believe they could have simply started populating the rocks without any grief at all.

The war was caused by a weak dictator trying to appear strong and (I resist the temptation to insert a Thatcher joke here) a Prime Minister (generally loathed by the country) on a mission to regain face. All this against a backdrop of sudden predictions of vast oil reserves.

Given that Camp is now littered with landmines there is even less to hold people to the island - so the UK bribe them to be there. The contract I was offered to work there was obscene but still not enough to drag me across the water.

Remove the fading oil field potential and the Islands would be dropped like a hot potato by the UK. Its strategic military location is irrelevant in modern warfare, it only holds the potential for revenue for fuel products.

Gosh.

Excellent.

Excellent, excellent, excellent. Marvellous, wonderful, spectacular, tremendous hissy fit. Superb overreaction to absolutely nothing whatsoever. Maybe the anaesthetic is affecting your cognitive skills. Find your pants, step back into them and lie down for a bit. Or, you know, just grow up.

523631_543110859066165_1695707942_n.jpg

You may be right that the Falklands is big enough to go it alone maintaining trade missions, embassies a civil service etc

Why on Earth would a collection of bleak, windswept rocks in the south Atlantic, inhabited by a few penguins and some sheep need any of those things?

My guess is that as soon as Britain left Argentina would make the Falklands part of their empire. If you are wrong and the Falklands are not left to govern themselves is it better for them to be part of the Empire they choose or the Empire they do not choose.

Your's or my guess on the fate of those rocks is irrelevant. The point is, Thatcher didn't send your young soldiers to kill and be killed because of any noble ideas about whose empire they should belong to.

Whoever had been Prime Minister would have gone to war over the Falklands as the war had the support of Labour, the Liberals and the SDP.

Aah go away out of that nonsense David. Revisionism is the last thing I expected from yourself. Even senior members of the Tory party were advising against the war, right up until they day they set sail. It was only after they realised the jingoistic coup that she'd pulled off did they all jump on the bandwagon

Incidentally in "An Evening With Paddy Ashdown" (former LibDem leader) at the Little Theatrer he was asked why he as a leftwinger was a strong supporter of monarchy. His reply was "President Blair President Thatcher".

Ashdown is an imbecile relying on a specious argument. Bliar and Thatcher were both Prime Ministers, as you know, and it doesn't follow that they would've automagically become head of state if the monarchy were rightfully banished.

Last edited:
As a parting guesture, she managed to cause a fair bit of a rumpus. Division between friends on social media forums must have reached an all-time high yesterday.

I know that I may come across a bit middle-of-the-road with regards Thatcher but I actually hold some very strong opinions about her. What I found interesting was the age break - below it almost total indifference, above it almost universal black/white opinions. In-between trolling idiots for laughs, I found it very interesting to look at.

Wonder how the funeral is going to go. Snipers at a funeral? A first and new low for this country?

You are thoroughly unpleasant.

I'll take your word for that seeing as you know me so well.

Thatcher your role model then?

Not a role model but certainly I can see that she wasn't entirely bad. Misguided at times but not deliberately evil.

As for an abusive PM given your ongoing snivelling attitude it would be well deserved.

Care to give a few examples of that statement Steven?

At least my PM is private but you have chosen to be public about your abusive and bullying behaviour towards me.

You have a very peculiar definition of the meaning and concept of 'bullying' Steven.

Finally as for the fact that the PM was "in the early hours", that has more to do with the fact that I have been having reconstructive dental surgery in South East Asia, including six hours of surgery under general anaesthetic.

Somebody punch your teeth out in an argument? Perhaps the anaesthesia was to blame for your PM.

You mean the one where you tried to infract me for making a 'naughty' comment in a forum that actually lets you do that? The infratcion that got overturned because you cocked up? That the one to which you refer?

I don't know you in real life. You could be quite a decent bloke. You don't know me either. I could be OK too. Guess it's best if we just never get the chance to find out eh Steven? Agree to differ and all that.

To be frank, if you did that word-association thing with me and said "sniveling", "unpleasant" or "bully" my instant reply would most likely be "Spion".

Or "Thatcher".

But probably "Spion".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572