Speculation Riyad Mahrez to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good stuff BN. I do not think Mahrez and Vardy on bigger contracts would be destabilising to the team. If the rest of the team can see that we finish, maybe, top 6, because Mahrez and Vardy have scored 60+ goals between them, everyone in the squad benefits in terms of bonuses and better contracts etc.

It was the likes of Beckford, fecking lazy git, on twice what everyone else is on, and no goals to show for it, that is destabilising.

At some point the status quo at the top has to change, why not it be Leicester to 'break in'.

You largely make good sense PPF.

Personally, I don't think we're quite as far along this track as is being speculated. I think the likes of Vardy and Mahrez are of interest to major clubs but I doubt any are ready to spend serious money on them given less than twenty matches of evidence that they're the real deal.

Having said that, we have been here before. At the beginning of 2000, we had a couple of highly coveted players and we desperately tried to hold onto them. However, when Liverpool called, Heskey went. Ditto Lennon to Celtic. And they went because they wanted to. We didn't need to sell them or want to. In fact, we fought very hard to retain both and massively increased Lennon's wages to keep him for a few extra months. But in the end, they went seeking glory and more money and got both.

The Southampton model is not one to emulate in my opinion. It must be soul destroying to see a constant stream of players head for the exit as soon as they can. Their luck will run out soon enough and they'll be the wealthiest club in the Championship within two to three years.

If we attempt to persuade the likes of Vardy and Mahrez to stay when a genuinely big club comes along, we could well end up suffering. The increase in wages for one or two players way beyond the wages of the rest will end up causing issues and we either overpay the whole group or the spirit will deteriorate anyway.

What we should be doing is announcing plans to extend the stadium and overtly express ambitious medium to long term targets. We should then make sure that we do something impressive in the transfer market at every opportunity and just try to ride this wave for as long as possible.

That pretty much echoes my sentiments. I'm not suggesting we should "know our place", but we have to be aware that doing too much to try to keep a player is potentially destabilising for the squad.

Me? I'm just enjoying the ride.

Me? I'm just enjoying the ride.

This. Pull up a seat, puff up the cushions, get a four pack, relax and enjoy the ride because sure as hell the roller coaster that is currently climbing has to descend at some time.

It's all relative and nothing lasts forever. No one would have been tempted to go to Manchester City just a few years ago when they were in the old third division.

There's no reason why another club, not necessarily ourselves, can't break through like they and Chelsea have done. All it takes is money.

exactly.

This. Pull up a seat, puff up the cushions, get a four pack, relax and enjoy the ride because sure as hell the roller coaster that is currently climbing has to descend at some time.

Bloody negativity.

I still think we will get relegated, Richard Keys said so.

Cannot see Vardy wanting to play for Barcelona or Real Madrid, their play is more like a chess match and too slow, but I could see it being attractive to Mahrez.

So if we finish top 4 and maybe Champions, how do we persuade Mahrez to stay? Apart from money, and I am sure his contract by the end of the year will be several million per year, what would he get in a foreign team that he would not get here? Warmer weather?

Has Vardy ever said he has dreamt of playing for a top European team rather than a top English team?

Cannot see Vardy wanting to play for Barcelona or Real Madrid, their play is more like a chess match and too slow, but I could see it being attractive to Mahrez.

So if we finish top 4 and maybe Champions, how do we persuade Mahrez to stay? Apart from money, and I am sure his contract by the end of the year will be several million per year, what would he get in a foreign team that he would not get here? Warmer weather?
It'd have to be a mixture of paying him what they'd pay him and investing across the squad to show him that he can win medals without moving. Might make as much sense to cash in, assuming we get silly offers.

Don't mean to pick on you Mike but asking "what would Mahrez get in Barcelona or Real Madrid that he wouldn't get in Leicester" is slightly delusional. He'd be off like a shot and quite rightly so.

Why is it delusional? If Mahrez was currently at Aston Vila or Chelsea, I could understand why he would be off like a shot, but if in May we are Champions with money/chief scout to make additions to the squad, why is Barcelona automatically better than Leicester? Bigger stadium? The fans certainly would not be more adoring than they are here.

Why is it delusional? If Mahrez was currently at Aston Vila or Chelsea, I could understand why he would be off like a shot, but if in May we are Champions with money/chief scout to make additions to the squad, why is Barcelona automatically better than Leicester? Bigger stadium? The fans certainly would not be more adoring than they are here.
Barcelona and Real Madrid have been dominating Europe for 60 years. We've had one great season in the top flight. If you think the difference is warmer weather and bigger stadiums I'm afraid I can't help you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566