Robert Enke...

Status
Not open for further replies.

indierich06

...Has died after being hit by a train - RIP. The guy was Germany's No.1, I've always liked him as a player and he was one of those players I always bought on FM. Just starting to get recognition playing for his national team and then something like this happens... It's such a random way to go.

I feel sorry for his wife - their kid died and they'd only just adopted another...

Germany and Hannover 96 goalkeeper Robert Enke, 32, has died after being hit by a train, police have confirmed.

The German football federation (DFB) said in a statement: "The German team has learned of the death of Robert Enke with great shock.
"National team coach Joachim Loew and manager Oliver Bierhoff said: 'We are all shocked, we are speechless'."

Enke played eight times for Germany and also for clubs Benfica, Barcelona and Borussia Moenchengladbach.
He made his international debut aged 31 and became Germany's number one keeper after Jens Lehmann retired from internationals at the end of Euro 2008.

Enke had missed Germany's last four matches with a virus but returned for his club at the weekend.

Loew had indicated that Enke was in pole position for the number one jersey at next year's World Cup finals in South Africa.
Enke's daughter Lara died in 2006 of a rare heart condition when she was just two. He leaves behind his wife, Teresa, and an eight-month-old daughter the coupled had adopted earlier this year.

Dr Theo Zwanziger, president of the DFB, said that he and the rest of the football community in Germany "are deeply distressed and in mourning".
He added: "All our sympathy goes to the wife of Robert Enke and his family."

Horrible news...

Always think it's such a selfish way to go though... train drivers have to go through a lot of counselling to deal with it often. I was on a train before that someone jumped in front of, was horrible.

No sympathy for people who take their own lives. Whatever has happened to him in the past, he has just taken the coward's way out.

No sympathy for people who take their own lives. Whatever has happened to him in the past, he has just taken the coward's way out.

It's probably best to wait for a more official verdict than Harbro-fox's suspicions, before you start apportioning your sympathy and calling a dead man a coward

I don't think there was anything random about it.

When I posted, it was reported as breaking news that it was an accident on the BBC website.

Obviously if it was a suicide then there isn't anything random about it at all, but it's still a pretty awful thing to happen.

What a snobby ****ing comment.

Read up on the bloke's past before calling him a coward.

The bloke had personally been for the shitter in recent years.

I know about his daughter dying, which is obviously an absolutely devastating thing to happen to anyone, but he'd just adopted a child with his wife, which makes his suicide a bit difficult to understand.

But I agree, it's easy to call someone who has killed themselves a coward, but you can't get into the mindset of that person.

I also think there are more considerate ways of killing yourself. Like people have said in this thread - what about the train driver? what about the people who have to clean up the scene? At least if you drink a couple of bottles of whiskey and take a load of pills then no-one else will be traumatised by your death...

You clearly know a lot about this situation then.

Having lost people I know to suicide and having a wife who works with people with mental health issues i obviously don't have much insight into this sort of thing. Please enlighten me as to why I or you should feel no sympathy for him or his family

Please enlighten me as to why I or you should feel no sympathy for him or his family

I do have sympathy for his family. But he has just devestated his family's lives. His wife would have also suffered when her child died, but is now left on her own to look after a child they both adopted.

I hope you realise now that this was a ridiculous comment and one which has not been thought through. Why don't people think before they post such rubbish?:102:

I hope you realise now that this was a ridiculous comment and one which has not been thought through. Why don't people think before they post such rubbish?:102:

It could be thought that yours is the ridiculous comment. Many people will feel that, while sympathising with somebody for the situation which has led them into such a desperate state, such feelings are reversed when that person takes the easy way out rather than facing up to his problems and seeking to do something about them. It's not just religious people who believe that life is the greatest gift that they have ever received and it is difficult to understand why anybody would give that gift away.

The taking of a life always leaves problems for others, whether it is the killing of another or a suicide. Suicide can be seen as a selfish act; the act of somebody not able to deal with his own problems - but presumably having no thought or no care for the problems he is leaving behind for others to sort out. And bringing others unwillingly into the act of your dying is abhorent by any standard. I find it easy to understand why people are not sympathetic in such situations.

It could be thought that yours is the ridiculous comment. Many people will feel that, while sympathising with somebody for the situation which has led them into such a desperate state, such feelings are reversed when that person takes the easy way out rather than facing up to his problems and seeking to do something about them. It's not just religious people who believe that life is the greatest gift that they have ever received and it is difficult to understand why anybody would give that gift away.

The taking of a life always leaves problems for others, whether it is the killing of another or a suicide. Suicide can be seen as a selfish act; the act of somebody not able to deal with his own problems - but presumably having no thought or no care for the problems he is leaving behind for others to sort out. And bringing others unwillingly into the act of your dying is abhorent by any standard. I find it easy to understand why people are not sympathetic in such situations.

I agree with most of what you say - But sympathetic to who?...The only people left to be sympathetic towards are family, friends and loved ones and why would you not be sympathetic towards them?

Who ever said it was the 'easy way out'? I hear the phrase thrown around all the time by people when talking about suicide but how is it easy?

I appreciate that you're maybe playing devils advocate here and take your comments on board but I honestly think that we shouldn't judge all acts the to be the same without knowing everything involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566