SAVE THE BOWSTRING BRIDGE.... or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingy_85

The city council have released plans to knock down the old Bowstring Bridge that sits on route to the Walkers....

and quite rightly so, its a bloody eye sore!

People will argue that its about Heritage etc... but lets get with the times, its a useless piece of scrap metal!

They are going to build a gym complex in its place, surely thats going to benefit the community more?

WestEnd resident quoted in the mercury - "the people of this city love that bridge and want it kept" :bang:

Some people.

The city council have released plans to knock down the old Bowstring Bridge that sits on route to the Walkers....

People will argue that its about Heritage etc... but lets get with the times, its a useless piece of scrap metal!

They are going to build a gym complex in its place, surely thats going to benefit the community more?

WestEnd resident quoted in the mercury - "the people of this city love that bridge and want it kept" :bang:

Some people.

I would sooner look at a bridge that has a bit of character than a ****ing gym complex, that's for sure

Some people.

It's a piece of heritage - but a piece of heritage that will cost a lot to keep with no real purpose to it. But be careful about the "gym complex" and worry about how much it will be a community resource.

It is a lovely bridge but I can't see a future for it.

Maybe If the city council didn't neglect buildings such as the bridge they would not just be scrap metal that look like shit.

The council allowed the bridge to fall into a shoddy state so that they could force their plans of removing the bridge on people more easily. If the council had kept the bridge well maintained it could be used for a landmark building such as a restaurant on the bridge etc, the arches could even of been used as boutique shops or cafes or the like.

The possibilities are endless really but the council are far to one dimensional for any real thinking.

I think the proposed Leisure development would be great, A swimming pool is needed in the area and would mainly benefit DMU, So why not redevelop the old Student Union that they leave empty year after year?

Last edited:
Its ugly and covered in weeds/graffiti. Plus if you were to cross it , it would actually take you longer to get to the other side than to just walk over the street.

If it was still used i wouldnt be complaining.

Nobody seemed to care about it before they released the news.

It may be 'ugly' in your opinion, personally I'd see it as a city landmark that is worthy of preserving and I used to use it almost daily when I lived in that area.

Lottery money gets wasted on far more ridiculous projects than preserving a little bit of Leicester's heritage.

Last edited:
They should be sending the ASBO kids up there with a metal wire brush and some primer, get the bugger cleaned up.

You chaps are so funny ! The bridge is a part of Leicester and it would be sad to see it demolished into a heap, I would love to restore that bridge to its former glory and make it a showpiece, we live in a tear down age unfortunately. Anyway very excited about the upcoming season and all that brings .. !

I have to sit at my desk day in, day out looking at it and for one I'm tired of the sight of it. Maybe I should just move desks.

16? I need to double check, I think you've counted the 1936 gas lamp stand by accident.

I do believe there used to be a gas powered street lamp there that gave it the name of 'five lights junction' back in the black & white days

This Bridge is part of the City of Leicester's heritage, the city council in the past have been all to quick to allow the demolition of such sites in the name of progress.

if people sit back another piece of our past will dissappear.

anyone interested in saving the bridge can join the campaign below

http://www.leicestercivicsociety.org.uk/campaign.asp?item=14

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48