Scarborough's Rate and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that, I'll keep an eye out.;)

It's not about watching other Vietnam films, it's all about watching other Stanley Kubrick films. The man should be essential viewing for anyone.

It's not about watching other Vietnam films, it's all about watching other Stanley Kubrick films. The man should be essential viewing for anyone.

Educate me then! What should I look out for?

The Lovely Bones - 7/10 - Visually superb but I was left wanting more by the emotional parts, I didn't feel connected enough and didn't even cry. I was also left very disenchanted by the ending. Do the parents get more closure in the book?

No. Its a bag of shit. And no, she doesnt use her 'powers' to tell people where the ****er that killed her is.

Never been so under-whelmed by a book.

Educate me then! What should I look out for?

If you like FMJ then go for all his stuff from 2001 onwards. Start with A Clockwork Orange, it's not as good as other ones like 2001 and Barry Lyndon imo, but it's accessible and an easy film to like. 2001 and BL are both very slow paced and lack dialogue, though both are incredible displays of visuals and sounds (and pretty much only Citizen Kane is more critically acclaimed than 2001: A Space Odyssey), they're not for everyone.

Not a huge fan of his older films, as beights said Dr. Strangelove though good, tends to get overrated. Paths of Glory is an exception and is amazing though.

Last edited:
As showcased when watching State of Play last night, 8/10.

Watched that recently having just seen the BBC version for the first time. As such it was hard to review completely independently as I knew the story so well, and boy did they stick to it. But it was a very good version, 8/10 from me too

Unthinkable - A very very good film, some top performances form Samuel L Jackson and Michael Sheen. Keeps you on the edge of your seat and some gore thrown in for good measure. Definitely worth a watch, recommended!

:038::038:

FFS, just watched The Road - 9/10, frankly superb. Visually stunning, moody and tense, but has left me blubbing like a twat.

Men Who Stare At Goats - 9/10 - Absolutely great, real laugh and daft and bizarre. I wasn't expecting to like it as I don't particularly like Clooney's films (Ocean's Eleven aside) but it was very good.

'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas' - 8/10

Very good film. One of the few war-time movies (along with 'The Pianist') where the foreign characters speak with the completely wrong accent and is still watchable.

In other words, I can't take 'Valkyrie' seriously.

Last edited:
He's very good in 'Up In The Air', really don't get the hate...maybe it's cos he can be a smug bleeder.

In fact if I ever had the women, he's had - I'd be a right arrogant, smug bastard.

I re-watched Damned United last night...it's better watching it after a time off the book (mainly cos the book's tone is so different).

And Matt's post reminds me to buy The Road.

Last edited:
Excellent film. Clooney is great as a comedy actor. He's very good in 'Burn After Reading' too.

I heard that was shite? Any good?

He's very good in 'Up In The Air', really don't get the hate...maybe it's cos he can be a smug bleeder.

In fact if I ever had the women, he's had - I'd be a right arrogant, smug bastard.

I re-watched Damned United last night...it's better watching it after a time off the book (mainly cos the book's tone is so different).

And Matt's post reminds me to buy The Road.

I just found Michael Clayton so tedious I gave up halfway through, one of the few times I've not bothered to finish a film.

I heard that was shite? Any good?

I thought it was offensively shite, but then I thought Men Who Stare At Goats was pretty shitty as well, big disappointment.
They just desperately tried to hang a story onto Jon Ronson's work, and failed in my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566