Scarbys Football Manager 2007 Diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems too easy. I downloaded the demo, brought in Sheringham, Jon Parkin on loan (great signing), Alan Dunne on loan and Boazzer on loan. Had to play Hughes as Williams got injured and has been a revelation, hammering in 30 yarders totally dominating the play, given the playmakers role and allowed to roam free, fantastic, even getting plaudits from Lennon and other managers. Havnt yet dropped out of the top 6!

Maybe the game isnt easy and you are just all really really good managers! :)

Last edited:
Re: Joe's FM07 Diary

Chapter One: The Beginning
The fans were against my appointment from day one as I had never managed a club before, but the board still expected a mid table finish. With a measly 100k transfer budget, my target in pre season was to get as many loan signings as possible and also raise some funds.

My first action was to offload Nils-Eric to Leeds for 550k! Paddy Mac soon left to QPR for another 80k. I now had enough funds to make a proper splash in the market, albeit with a considerably weakened defence.

After scouting the Scottish leagues I had two Hibernian defenders in my sights. Unfortunately Celtic beat me to David Murphy's signature so I had to settle with the influential centre back, Rob Jones, for 40k. Although new to the club, I saw him as McCarthy's replacement as club captain.

My team lacked spark and energy and Mike Stowell agreed with me that we needed strengthening in every department. I brought in two young wingers, Paul Evans from Man United and Paul Anderson from Liverpool on loan. I also managed to capture Agbonlahor on loan for a season from Martin O'Neil. He is probably the fastest player in the Championship and I will play him up front even though he has poor finishing stats.

I picked up two old heads next, Mark Crossely as No1 keeper for 14k and Don Hutchinson from the other side of the M69 for 1k.

To compliment the speed of Agbonlahor I searched for a big target man with good heading and strength stats, so he could hold up the ball and feed Agbonlahor with his flick-ons. My scouts recommended Teddy Sherringham, but I felt it would be a waste of money for a old decrepit player who wouldn't even last 90 mins. In the end I went for Marc Nygarrd from QPR, and managed to knock the price down to 190k. This was the majority of my transfer budget but it was vital to my long ball tactic that he signed.

A few days later I brought Ronny Johnsen back from Norway, a move that was criticised in the press because he was 37 years old!!

I was worried I was turning Leicester back into Micky's Old Peoples Home, so Joe Clarke told his scouts to find a promising youngster, and Joe Clarke ended up signing left back Tommy Spurr from Sheff Wed for 140k! He would not join until January though, so I had to settle with Darren Kenton at left back. Chris O'Grady also fecked off to Yeovil on loan.

My first choice XI was:

Crossley

Maybury
Jones
Kisnorbo
Kenton

Anderson
Johnsen
Hume
Evans

Nygarrd
Agbonlahor

I managed to convince Humey to play in the centre, and Johnsen's defensive nature allowed Hume to break forwards whenever possible. Hume also became good backup across the midfield thanks to extensive training in different positions.

I was planning to make Jones captain but decided to give Ronny Johnsen the armband after he convinced me he would be in the starting line up due to pre season.

Pre-Season was over and I started with two very tough games, especially with Nygarrd injured...

Leicester 2-2 Crystal Palace
Even though Anderson was sent off on 33, goals on their debuts from Agbonlahor and Rob Jones saw a promising team performance from city.

WBA 1-1 Leicester
They got the early goal but after Matty Fryatt equalised in the second half we held out for a valuable away point.

Leicester 2-0 Sheff Wed
Jones got another and Nygarrd scored a thumping header after coming off the bench for his debut.

Norwich 0-2 Leicester
They had a man sent off after 6 mins and then we were always in control with Nygarrd and Agbonlahor getting one each. Hume was MOTM in the middle.

Leicester 0-3 Port Vale (League Cup First Round)
I foolishly fielded a weekend team for this game infront of the cameras. It was an embarrassing defeat but their keeper picked up man of the match after a string of fantastic saves.

Leicester 1-2 Southend
A poor home display saw us lose to 10 man Southend thanks to a 90th minute winner.

Stoke 0-0 Leicester
The team's morale was down after two defeats in the row and Mark Crossley won us a point we didn't deserve.

sorry whose thread is this? make your own!;)

1/1/2007
Leicester 2-0 Barnsley – League
A fresh start for the new year I told the lads, we have just lost Rab Douglas left before kick off to join his new team, Hibs. It seemed to do us some good Gareth Williams put us ahead after 10 mins, Kisnorbo added a second 9 mins later and that’s how it remained. We are back on winning ways

5/1/2007
Middlesborough 2-1 Leicester – FA Cup 3rd Rnd
Matty Fryatt sent the away fans in raptures after a powerful shot hit the back of the net. Fryatt has now scored in all competitions this season and like the last premiership opponents we encountered he scored away from home and put us 1-0 up. Boro hit back through Yakubu in the second half and it looked like it would be a Portsmouth all over again when Downing put the home side 2-1 up. Fryatt picked up a knock and had to be replaced by Chris Sutton but couldn’t change the scoreline. The league is more important at this stage anyway, however getting knocked out was disappointing as we matched boro on the day and IMO should have got at least a replay!

Fryatt will be out for 2 weeks!!

13/1/2007
Norwich 1-0 Leicester – League
Bobby Earnshaw put Norwich ahead and we couldn’t scrape back a point! Our injury situation is the course of these problems I feel!

20/1/2007 – Stoke and Leicester negotiating terms over a number of weeks and finally its been confirmed Steven Hughes is off to Stoke for a fee of 450K, an offer to good to turn down!

20/1/2007
Birmingham 2-0 Leicester – League
Leicester started brightly with Hume missing good chances, Brum got a peno in the 16th minute but it was saved in style by Hendo and the rebound was put into row Z. Bendtner scored in the 26th and Clemence minutes later made it 2-0. We drop to 3rd.

27/1/2007
Raffaele De Vita Blackburns Italian teenage striker comes to join the squad on loan till the end of the season.

30/1/2007
Leicester 1-1 QPR – League
Kem Izzet and Joe Hart start for their full home debuts. We walked over QPR without scoring until a change of tactics saw Elvis come on for his game since being injured and score with his first touch. Blackstock made it 1-1 after some slow reactions by the city defence, Leicester should have got 3 or 4 in this game easy. Hart looked neat between the sticks and Kem Izzet looks a great little signing.

31/1/2007
Transfer Deadline Day Signing
David Goodwillie, from Dundee Utd for 110K!!! I signed him from the grips of Newcastle United.

:038::038::038:

3/2/2007
Plymouth 2-0 Leicester – league:mad:
Important to get a result here as Plymouth are top of the league. Ebanks-Blake scored for them in the first half, Dele Abebola made it 2. We drop to 4th 8 points of Plymouth

10/2/07
Leicester 1-0 Palace – League:biggrin:
Bouazza got a lopping header mid-way in the second half that gave us the 3 points!! Leicester worked there socks off, Izzet was the centre of most of the play and Iain Hume was fantastic down the right.

Yes I was relegated on the final day of the season. Despite beating champions Cardiff, away, I went down on goal difference behind Q.P.R.:icon_redf

Neil Lennon and Ian Walker have been brought back to help push for promotion from League 1.

Suprisingly the board offered me a new 2 year contract.:eek:

17/2/07
Southampton 1-1 Leicester – League
Southampton started this game in 2nd Leicester in 3rd. Matt Fryatt scored in the 50th but a minute later Kem Izzet got sent off for his 2nd yellow card and the Saints got more confident, Idiakez scored for them.

20/2/07
Leicester 2-0 Cardiff:038:
Fryatt had scored inside 5 minutes and Leicester never looked back. We created numerous chances, had 16 shots on goal before Elvis fired in to make it 2-0. The title race is back on.

24/2/07
Colchester 0-1 Leicester - League
A beautiful pass from Izzet led to a goal by Matty Fryatt Things were going well until Osano brought down a Colchester lad in the box and Iwelumo scored from 6 yards. We missed a good chance to edge nearer Plymouth

3/3/2007
Leicester 2-1 Sunderland - League
Forssell scored first for the Black Cats but just before half time Izzet scored from a corner, he looked delighted. Straight from the 2nd half KO great play by Izzet led the ball into Fryatt who found Bouazza who found the back of the net. Tiatto got the 3rd. Fryatt the 4th. Dean Whitehead made it 4-2 but we got the 3 points.

10/3/2007
West Brom 1-0 Leicester –League:frown:
Curtis Davies for West Brom Oh Dear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675