Schlupp to Brentford

Status
Not open for further replies.
[YOUTUBE]QfDO0CoOMl0[/YOUTUBE]

Bit like Ryan Giggs then?

Adam Johnson, Ashley Young, Jack Wilshere, Jordan Henderson four English prospects off the top of my head very one footed.

All viewed by some has England internationals for the long-term.

Winger, Winger, Winger, Midfield, Midfield... name me many strikers???

Schlupp, is a great young prospect.. all i suggest is that he works on this area

Schlupp, is a great young prospect.. all i suggest is that he works on this area

Lukas Podolski and Marco Borriello are both very one footed. Podolski especially always cuts in on his left foot rather than shooting with his right.

Diego Maradona and Ferenc Puskas were also both famously very one footed too.

Last edited:

Tons of strikers. In fact, it's been the biggest weakest point of numerous Leicester strikers in recent years.

The whole reason Schlupp is at Brentford is to 'work on those areas' in a competitive game environment hence he did it on Friday night. What more can he do?

Last edited:
woeful defending

Also, Arthur Rowley's right foot by all accounts was utterly useless, but with his left foot he could hit the ball like a rocket.

Pretty sure he had a decent spell with us. :icon_wink

Also, Arthur Rowley's right foot by all accounts was utterly useless, but with his left foot he could hit the ball like a rocket.

Not a patch on Arthur Chandler though, who could use both feet and his head and despite his never scoring a single penalty still topped Rowley in the all-time scoring stakes; Rowley's cartload of spot kicks only got him into second place.
:icon_wink

I'd say the quote is just what a striker (one-footed or not) should be doing - just hit it - as long as it goes in.

Seems a long time ago now, but when Michael Owen burst on the scene, his fantastic pace would get him into goal scoring positions, then he'd lose the advantage by desperately trying to avoid shooting with his left, usually with tragically comic results. When he eventually did start using his left foot a bit, it wasn't bad at all - but by that time he'd lost the edge speedwise.

I don't remember Arthur having a useless right foot. Sure he used his left foot when he scored from 35 yards, but inside the penalty area he would shoot with his right foot when the ball was on that side.

I don't remember Arthur having a useless right foot. Sure he used his left foot when he scored from 35 yards, but inside the penalty area he would shoot with his right foot when the ball was on that side.

Fair enough. I never saw him play, so if you saw him play you obviously know better, just from the stories I've heard often talk about how left footed he was.

Not a patch on Arthur Chandler though, who could use both feet and his head and despite his never scoring a single penalty still topped Rowley in the all-time scoring stakes; Rowley's cartload of spot kicks only got him into second place.
:icon_wink

Cartloads of penalties getting him into second place is a bit unfair. He'd still be well above Ernie Hine in 2nd (who seems to get forgotten a bit, despite being one of the most important players in the club's history) and he also played a lot less games than Chandler and has a much higher goal to game ratio. I am aware of course though, that most of Chandler's goals were in the first division and that most of Rowley's were in the second division.

For quite a few English clubs Ernie Hine's 156 goals would be enough to make him the club's record goalscorer at any rate.

Hine is actually Barnsley's all-time record goalscorer in fact and he scored less for them than he did for us. Rowley is also Shrewsbury's all-time record goalscorer despite scoring less for them than he did for us.

Both Chandler and Rowley deserve all the plaudits they get and more. It's rare for a team in England to have a player who scored over 250 goals for them, let alone 2 separate players. Would be interested to know if there's any other of the 92 league teams who have had 2 separate players reach that landmark.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670