Schlupp to Brentford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough. I never saw him play, so if you saw him play you obviously know better, just from the stories I've heard often talk about how left footed he was.

Cartloads of penalties getting him into second place is a bit unfair. He'd still be well above Ernie Hine in 2nd (who seems to get forgotten a bit, despite being one of the most important players in the club's history) and he also played a lot less games than Chandler and has a much higher goal to game ratio. I am aware of course though, that most of Chandler's goals were in the first division and that most of Rowley's were in the second division.

For quite a few English clubs Ernie Hine's 156 goals would be enough to make him the club's record goalscorer at any rate.

Hine is actually Barnsley's all-time record goalscorer in fact and he scored less for them than he did for us. Rowley is also Shrewsbury's all-time record goalscorer despite scoring less for them than he did for us.

Both Chandler and Rowley deserve all the plaudits they get and more. It's rare for a team in England to have a player who scored over 250 goals for them, let alone 2 separate players. Would be interested to know if there's any other of the 92 league teams who have had 2 separate players reach that landmark.

Liverpool have had Ian Rush (346) and Roger Hunt (286), haven't checked anyone else but they were the first team I thought of.

Cartloads of penalties getting him into second place is a bit unfair.
[...]
Both Chandler and Rowley deserve all the plaudits they get and more.

I know, I know. The smiley was designed to indicate my use hyperbole. You must have missed it.

Liverpool have had Ian Rush (346) and Roger Hunt (286), haven't checked anyone else but they were the first team I thought of.

Sorry, I'm sure I wrote league goals in that post. I think there's a few in all competitions, but teams like Liverpool have probably played a lot more matches in their history with europe, getting further in cups etc., which is why I was thinking of league goals.

According to wiki (sorry unreliable I know) Hunt scored 245 league goals and Rush 229, Gordon Hodgson also scored 233.

I know, I know. The smiley was designed to indicate my use hyperbole. You must have missed it.

Sorry, that's often the problem about discussing things online, hard to pick up on intonations. :icon_lol:

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm sure I wrote league goals in that post. I think there's a few in all competitions, but teams like Liverpool have probably played a lot more matches in their history with europe, getting further in cups etc., which is why I was thinking of league goals.

According to wiki (sorry unreliable I know) Hunt scored 245 league goals and Rush 229, Gordon Hodgson also scored 233.

Unfortunately you didn't but I did wonder if that's what you meant though so I was aware they hadn't got 250 league goals. I'm still quite pleased with my guess though as I figured that Rush and Hunt would be pretty close (although I'll admit I hadn't heard of Hodgson until I looked at the other two players' records)

I thought Everton might have a couple, seeing as Dixie Dean has the most league goals at any one club in England, but no one else comes close to him for Everton.

Was also quite surprised to see that neither Arsenal or ManUtd have even one player to have scored 200 league goals for them, Bobby Charlton has ManUtd's most with 199 and Thierry Henry Arsenal's most with 174.

Fair enough. I never saw him play, so if you saw him play you obviously know better, just from the stories I've heard often talk about how left footed he was.
Rowley being so left footed seems to be a myth in his obit in the Guardian. I also read on a Man U fan site that he couldn't head!
One of the tributes on
http://www.bbc.co.uk/shropshire/content/articles/2005/03/22/sport_arthur_rowley_feature.shtml
correctly states that he could use either foot and his head.
As well as being powerful, he was a very intelligent footballer. If he had been more mobile, he would have played for England.

Rowley being so left footed seems to be a myth in his obit in the Guardian. I also read on a Man U fan site that he couldn't head!
One of the tributes on
http://www.bbc.co.uk/shropshire/content/articles/2005/03/22/sport_arthur_rowley_feature.shtml
correctly states that he could use either foot and his head.
As well as being powerful, he was a very intelligent footballer. If he had been more mobile, he would have played for England.

I remember a Shrewsbury fan once on another forum saying he is supposed to have scored a header from the half-way line for them.

It's just a shame there was no cameras to capture footage of players like these back then. All I have ever seen of Rowley is about 5 seconds of him controlling the ball and beating his man on the official history DVD. Never seen any clips of Chandler.

Report on Jeff on the OS now and looks like he'll be playing against Carlisle at Wembley and looks like Robbie will recover from injury for that game as well.

Both start at Wembley

BBC Sport's Paul Fletcher at Wembley: "Brentford fans in good song as they try to lift their team. The Bees have been poor overall so far, unable to cope with Carlisle's diamond formation in midfield. On-loan Bees striker Jeffrey Schlupp is very highly rated at parent club Leicester and looks like Brentford's main attacking threat - as shown by that near miss a few moments ago."

_46253405_goal_post_v2_44.jpg

1446: Wembley woodwork! Brentford won't come closer to a goal without an equaliser as Jeffrey Schlupp powers past the Carlisle full-back to get in behind the United defence but, with just the keeper to beat, watches on in despair as his drilled shot cannons back off the near post. So close

FULL-TIME Brentford 0-1 CarlisleCARLISLE WIN THE JP TROPHY
Huge cheers from the Carlisle contingent as Leon Legge heads wide at the back post with Brentford throwing men forward. In more than 95 minutes of football in this JP Trophy final, Brentford have not had a single shot on target. Hhmm.

I watched the last 15 minutes of this, mainly to see Schlupp. Didn't really do anything in that time.

Nielson though looked woeful, even at this level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669