Speculation Shane Long

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a couple of oddly hyphonated words in there, aren't there? But yes, he would be a masterstroke if we've got 8 million to dick around with.

Why are people so ennamoured by this guy? One good season of chasing down long balls over the top?

His goalscoring record before last season was absolutely abysmal.

Why are people so ennamoured by this guy? One good season of chasing down long balls over the top?

Agreed.. looking now like Yakubu could be a target, iit's up to him to lower his wage demands by $5k, is $35k salary cap to be believed? That's a stonking salary for the Championship.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/9555033.stm

Leicester are ready to table a £7m bid for Reading striker Shane Long as manager Sven-Goran Eriksson bids to beat off competition from Premier League clubs for the prolific forward.
Full story: Daily Mail

Does seem a lot of dosh for a player that many people have never heard of.....

I'm not sure how well known he is will affect how he performs but I do suspect he's not £7M worth!

I completely agree with you.

I'm torn between my own convictions, trusting Sven (who clearly knows a lot more than me) and hoping its all paper talk.

If we're willing to stump up £7million then just offer it to Bristol for Maynard!

If we're willing to stump up £7million then just offer it to Bristol for Maynard!

Perhaps the plan is to get promoted and then as a prem side (he wants a prem move) grab him for nothing when out of contract.

I thought he had an excellent season last year.

He costs what he costs - why does anyone care ?

Still reckon it's Keane the number one target, but I'm usually horribly wrong

Sven said on Swedish TV that Maynard wanted to join us, its more like Waggy reluctant to join them thats holding it up , id be shocked if we were prepared to pay £7m for Long ( he did have one great season but he scores a lot of his goals via penalties!)

Massively overpriced for another Championship side to spend for just one player!! As others have said, only had one decent season to go along with several distinctly average ones. Would rather us put the money towards a season long loan for Robbie Keane if he's interested.

I completely agree with you.

I'm torn between my own convictions, trusting Sven (who clearly knows a lot more than me) and hoping its all paper talk.

I'm with you. I'm really not sure about this deal. He could join us and turn out to be great of course, but all he strikes me as is an average Championship striker who just works hard and so fitted in with McDermott's hoofball tactics perfectly. I'd certainly feel like Maynard would be a much better player with us.

If the deal goes through, I hope I am proven drastically wrong of course.

Hardly 'closing in' on the deal, but this is what the mercury are saying today

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co....signing-Long/story-13062503-detail/story.html

Leicester City are closing in on the club record signing of striker Shane Long, according to reports last night.

City are said to be winning the race to sign the Reading striker, beating off interest from Premier League Newcastle United and West Bromwich Albion and Championship rivals West Ham United.

City have tabled an initial £6 million bid. The deal will rise further depending with add-ons and clauses, including goals targets and promotion.

The Mercury revealed last week that Long had emerged as City’s number one target.

City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson admitted the Republic of Ireland international was on his list on the Football Forum on BBC Radio Leicester on Monday night.

Eriksson has said that if City were to bring in a striker, it would be a big signing.

Should Long join City, the deal would eclipse the £5 million City paid for Ade Akinbiyi in 2000 and take Eriksson’s summer spending to more than £15 million.

The reports contradict Royals boss Brian McDermott’s assertion yesterday that City could forget about signing Long as he believed a Premier League club would come in for him.

When asked about Eriksson’s interest in the 24-year-old, he replied: “They’re interested in every player, so there’s no news there.”

Long, who scored 23 goals last season, has 12 months remaining on his Reading contract, but they are resigned to losing him.

McDermott said: “My experience tells me that with his goal-scoring record and ability someone will come in from the Premier League at some point. Shane is completely faultless as far as Reading are concerned.”

Former Royals skipper Matt Mills has already made the switch to the King Power Stadium during the transfer window.

The Hammers and Albion are both said to have had offers rejected, but the Hammers were expected to return with an improved offer, and Long has refused to rule out a move to Upton Park.

“If it was true they were interested, West Ham are a big club, so it would definitely be something for me to think about,” said Long.

“However, I wouldn’t be that disappointed if nothing happened and I stayed at Reading. I’m happy here and I like playing under the manager.”

Eriksson has admitted he has other targets and has tried to land Bristol City’s Nicky Maynard.

He is also reported to be interested in Nigeria international Kalu Uche, who has been linked with a move away from Spanish club Almeria following their relegation.

City are still working on a season-long loan deal for Swiss midfielder Gelson Fernandes, who joined Eriksson’s Manchester City from Swiss side FC Sion in 2007, and made 59 appearances.

City have also announced their squad numbers for the Championship season which starts at Coventry on Saturday.

There are no squad numbers for Michael Ball and Aleksandar Tunchev, who are still hopeful of landing deals at the club. The full list is:

1 Kasper Schmeichel, 2 Lee Peltier, 3 Paul Konchesky, 4 John Pantsil, 5 Matt Mills, 6 Sol Bamba, 7 Paul Gallagher, 8 Matt Oakley, 9 Steve Howard, 10 Andy King, 11 Lloyd Dyer, 12 Sean St Ledger, 13 Darius Vassell, 14 Martyn Waghorn, 15 Bruno Berner, 17 Michael Johnson, 18 Franck Moussa, 19 Richie Wellens, 21 Chris Weale, 22 Yuki Abe, 23 Neil Danns, 27 Jeff Schlupp, 35 David Nugent

It's not like we need to save the money for other players, so if the owners are happy to spend it why should I care how much he costs? 23 goals for us next season and he's well worth it.

The money doesn't really bother me, but if they're all geared up for sorting it out, and premiership clubs are involved why not do a 'Matt Mills' and get the ****er sorted in hours rather than days and weeks.

The money doesn't really bother me, but if they're all geared up for sorting it out, and premiership clubs are involved why not do a 'Matt Mills' and get the ****er sorted in hours rather than days and weeks.

That would be ideal for fans, but I guess they want the best deal possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566