Sky Sports - All-Time Greatest Leicester Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good old Pontus - what a class act. Such a shame he got injured. I was upset about that.

How do you define "Greatest"? Is it the player who won the most trophies? Or the player who scored the most goals? The most skillful? Loyal?

Whilst I'm proud that Leicester have had some great names playing for us ie Worthington, Banks, Shilton, Glover, Chandler, Rowley etc etc, I have never seen these play so they could never make my list. And whilst I have been to some games that Lineker played in, I was 5 years old and I can't remember him so he can't make my list either.

There are 4 players that I would have without even thinking about it. They are Steve Walsh, Gary Mills, Muzzy Izzett and Neil Lennon. My reason is that at the time they played for City they were my favourite players.

The others are players that, I believe, have made watching City a pleasure. I'd sling Tim Flowers in there, Tommy Wright (the good one), Steve Thompson, Julian Joachim, Gerry Taggart and probably Mr. Savage.

It would be interesting to know whether anyone who saw both Keith Weller and Muzzy believes Muzzy was the better player. IMO Leicester will never have players as good as Shilton, Weller and Worthington again because these days players of that quality want to play in the Champions League.

If greatness involves a player being memorable and the ability of one player to turn a game then I have to mention Spider Kalac. I only saw him play once (I think he totalled two games) but that one last appearance is seared on my memory. We thoroughly outplayed Bolton and lost in a five goal thriller of which kalac deserves credit for three of the goals.
Does anybody know if it is actually true that Radio Leicester commented "There stands Kalac with his head in this hands; lets hope he does not drop it."
No Leicester player in my lifetime has had the impact that Spider kalac had.

It would be interesting to know whether anyone who saw both Keith Weller and Muzzy believes Muzzy was the better player. IMO Leicester will never have players as good as Shilton, Weller and Worthington again because these days players of that quality want to play in the Champions League.

If greatness involves a player being memorable and the ability of one player to turn a game then I have to mention Spider Kalac. I only saw him play once (I think he totalled two games) but that one last appearance is seared on my memory. We thoroughly outplayed Bolton and lost in a five goal thriller of which kalac deserves credit for three of the goals.
Does anybody know if it is actually true that Radio Leicester commented "There stands Kalac with his head in this hands; lets hope he does not drop it."

Interesting post.

I saw the Bolton game which was under the lights at Filbert Street. Two thoughts crossed my mind: first that Kalac had never played before in a floodlit game and second that perhaps he was a complete impostor and wasn't a professional goal keeper at all.

The point you make about Leicester never again having players like Weller is probably valid - at least not at their peak. However, Weller was not always that highly rated before in signed for Leicester. Spurs, after a promising start, sold him off to Milwall and he was only a fringe player at Chelsea.

It's very difficult to compare Weller and Izzet. Weller was more of an old fashioned winger and Izzet a more modern midfielder. However, Weller was exceptionally gifted whilst I think Izzet was a very good player.....with the obvious limitation that his tackling was generally rather lacking which led him into giving away more than his fair share of free kicks. I would say that Davie Gibson from about 1962 - 1965 was about as good a player as any attacking player in the old first division.

Part of the Muzzy-factor is also the years of achievement with MON and that whole era I think....There is no way ability-wise Muzzy was up there with Worthington or Weller for me....but then I am only old enough to remember the likes of Peake and McAllister really.

Part of the Muzzy-factor is also the years of achievement with MON and that whole era I think....There is no way ability-w*s* Muzzy was up there with Worthington or Weller for me....but then I am only old enough to remember the likes of Peake and McAllister really.

I think he gained more of a reputation after MON left. He was the star of the team during our promotion season under Mad Micky and the following season in the Prem. Under MON he was just another cog (Kog?) in the machine.

I think he gained more of a reputation after MON left. He was the star of the team during our promotion season under Mad Micky and the following season in the Prem. Under MON he was just another cog (Kog?) in the machine.

Pretty much. He was the star in the Micky Adams team, when MON was manager he was regarded as a great player, but so were Walsh, Lennon, Claridge, Cottee, Elliott, Flowers, Taggart, Heskey, Savage etc. I think it was his place in Micky Adams' side that earnt his reputation above all those, bar Walshie.

Not old enough to remember the Bolton game, but I've heard the legends. Though changing a league game on his own, surely Claridge, with the 2 shinned winning goals in 2 of the biggest games in the club's history had more of a "match-winning" impact though.

And again, not old enough to see him play but from what I've heard, Kevin Russell was the ultimate match-winner for us.

Part of the Muzzy-factor is also the years of achievement with MON and that whole era I think....There is no way ability-w*s* Muzzy was up there with Worthington or Weller for me....but then I am only old enough to remember the likes of Peake and McAllister really.

Bugger! I forgot about Gary Mac. Can I have him as my 11th man or do I have to kick somebody out. Kick Joachim out then.

And again, not old enough to see him play but from what I've heard, Kevin Russell was the ultimate match-winner for us.

Kevin Russell was so good...........that he generally got on for about 10 minutes (if he was lucky).

Of course -to be fair - he did go on to hit the dizzy heights with Notts County, Bournmouth and Wrexham not forgetting loans to Hereford and Peterborough.

Kevin Russell was a serious trier and that appeals to most supporters at all clubs, but I doubt if he would claim to be in the top 250 Leicester City players.

Kevin Russell was so good...........that he generally got on for about 10 minutes (if he was lucky).

Of course -to be fair - he did go on to hit the dizzy heights with Notts County, Bournmouth and Wrexham not forgetting loans to Hereford and Peterborough.

Kevin Russell was a serious trier and that appeals to most supporters at all clubs, but I doubt if he would claim to be in the top 250 Leicester City players.

He's just outside the top 250 at 253

What are you talking about? Are you saying football now is better than it was before you started watching it? And why is 'CLIPS' in capital letters?

It's 'Akinbiyi'. And no, you can't.

What is it to say then?

So by not agreeing that he's the greatest player to have ever lived (or whatever it is you're saying), everyone on here is being disrespectful?

What does disgard mean?

football is blatantly better now then it was you'd be a fool to think otherw*s*. I never said Izzet was the greatest player that ever lived but in my era he has been one of the best. and i'm sorry to say you could make Aknbiyi look good in clips not for leicester though. have you never made a typing error i obviously meant discard BLUE MANIAC YOU NEED TO SORT YOURSELF OUT SON!

Last edited:
Btw, I never knew we had a word filter on the word "w*s*" before this thread, brilliant! :icon_lol:

Last edited:
BLUE MANIAC YOU NEED TO SORT YOURSELF OUT SON!

What an angry little man! You do realise you're having a hissy fit about some pointless Sky Sports list? Yes, Muzzy was a good player. Leicester have had other good players too. Some people think other certain Leicester players are better than others.

Now may I suggest you take a deep breath, count to ten and sort yourself out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669