Post Match Southampton 0 - 2 Leicester City

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought drinkwater looked very promising and a typical nige signing - not flash but hardworking and comfortable on the ball.

I believe in Nigel

Powerful, disciplined, hard working performance against a surprisingly average side, given their position

Mills and Sledger looked excellent in a genuine partnership - same can be said about Nugent and Beckford

Wellens as good in the second half as he was utterly hopeless in the first. Danns tireless. Dyer completely pointless

Drinky-winks looks a very decent signing indeed

Onwards and upwards we go.....

Dyer looked great for the first 5 minutes, but he only has one trick and can't use his right foot. As soon as teams figure this out he becomes useless.

Strange. I thought Sven had filled the squad with useless money grabbing wasters.

Tonight Mills, Nugent, Danns, Peltier, Konchesky, St Ledger all played well. Mills especially was superb. That is not to mention Beckford, Kasper and Bamba.

The more you look at Sven's signings the better some of them look. With the exception of the loan midfielders, Pantsil and Ball I can't say he did a lot wrong based on that performance.

Fair play to Pearson, he has them playing well now.

Personally, I think Peltier is still the weak link in our side. He's alright going forward but then gets caught out of position a lot from what I've seen (not just on the counter attack either).

I still don't understand how Pantsil has been as bad as people say (haven't really seen him play for us, so will take people's word for it). I'm hoping Pearson can get the best out of him too.

not wanting to sound like Alan Young but I feel we may be playing better without Bamba at the back. Sorry, Mr Bamba..... ahem. I may be wrong but we seemed to be holding our shape better, especially when getting caught on the counter or when Danns played the odd dodgy backpass.

Superb in every department last night. Pressed the ball like the Pearson team of the previous regime and looked pretty handy at keeping it too. Worked in partnerships and as a team all over the pitch, and thoroughly deserved the result.

If, however, you read the Telegraph's match report, you will be told that the first goal was entirely against the run of play, Gallagher put in an excellent cross for Mills' goal, Southampton battered us in the second half and Pearson's tactics of employing no ball winners paid dividends in the end. Jebus wept...

Personally, I think Peltier is still the weak link in our side. He's alright going forward but then gets caught out of position a lot from what I've seen (not just on the counter attack either).

I still don't understand how Pantsil has been as bad as people say (haven't really seen him play for us, so will take people's word for it). I'm hoping Pearson can get the best out of him too.

I have to agree about Peltier sadly. As much as I liked him at the start I think a few positional faults have crept in. There was at least two occasions last night when he was horribly exposed. He'll be fine though, he has plenty about him elsewhere to be optimistic about.

Has St. Ledger saved his City career with that performance? I'd love to know what Pearson is thinking right now about him. Even Mills looked like the man we paid for in the summer. Very encouraging partnership in consecutive matches.

All in all last night was excellent from front to back. Dyer caused them problems, Wellens had an excellent second half and Beckford put in a shift up front alongside Nuge. Now can we please make this count?

not wanting to sound like Alan Young but I feel we may be playing better without Bamba at the back. Sorry, Mr Bamba..... ahem. I may be wrong but we seemed to be holding our shape better, especially when getting caught on the counter or when Danns played the odd dodgy backpass.

It's Mister Young to you!

Seriously, the Sledger Mills partnership is the one I've wanted to see right from the start of the season.

Sol is a great player and I love watching him but I've never felt we are totally comfortable at the back when he is playing.

His apparent unpredictability possibly makes it hard for those playing alongside him.

Considering the mess that he's inherited it hasn't taken Pearson very long to start to get the team playing with energy and organisation. We looked like a physically strongteam that is hard to beat and moves the ball quickly from the back. This has always been the most likely way to progress in this league.

I don't have any doubt that cutting costs is also high up on Pearson's marching orders from the owners. This had to be done before things spiralled out of any hope of control.

Just remind me where is Sven employed at the moment?

I'll be very disappointed if St Ledger wants to leave us now. He was a revelation last night. Great to see him and Nigel doing a high five and also him and Kasper celebrating in each others arms.

I'll be very disappointed if St Ledger wants to leave us now. He was a revelation last night. Great to see him and Nigel doing a high five and also him and Kasper celebrating in each others arms.

Set up the second goal brilliantly too.

Last edited:
We had to win and we did, playing effective football and looking to attack.

We didn't sit back at 2-0 and restricted Saints to one real chance in the second half which Kasper saved.

Something to build on.

You mean the second? ;) Mills set up the first.

edit: @ ted

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673