Post Match Southampton 2 Leicester 3

There's no reason it can't be used.

It's a 1920s saying that comes from the game of Bridge, as the more spades you had, the more likely you were to win the game. According to Google at least.
1920s is hardly the modern era.
The more spades you (have), the more likely you (are) to win the game? Interesting!

It's not though is it. There is a small but hugely significant difference between the two incidents.

For Vardy, he was 100% stopped from scoring a goal. It was a simple tap in that he was denied by a pull on his shirt.

For the Southampton player, it is impossible to say whether he would have even got to the ball, let alone had an attempt on goal. My guess is he'd have not even got to the ball, the big lumbering donkey.
None of that is remotely relevant.

It's a foul.

And a penalty.

It's absolutely bonkers to suggest otherwise.

1920s is hardly the modern era.
The more spades you (have), the more likely you (are) to win the game? Interesting!
Well, Fatawu set up the first, would have had an assist for number 2 if not for Fraser, then Ayew scored the winner

Someone bring that Canada twat in, we need to know the best racism for this situation. Bear in mind both are Muslamic immagints

None of that is remotely relevant.

It's a foul.

And a penalty.

It's absolutely bonkers to suggest otherwise.

It is relevant though. Because that is the basis for a VAR intervention.

I read somewhere that officials had said that the penalty wasn't awarded because they didn't think the foul was sufficiently relevant to the passage of play, i.e. that the player being fouled wasn't going to get to the ball so it didn't matter enough.

For VAR to intervene, they have to see that the player would have got to the ball and that is impossible to say. Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't.

I'm sure it will be covered tomorrow in the ESPN summary and I'll post the comments in our VAR thread.

It's very obviously not the same as the penalty we were awarded.

For VAR to intervene, they have to see that the player would have got to the ball and that is impossible to say. Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't.
This is not correct.

You've made it up.

Again.

It's absolutely ludicrous to suggest that it wasn't a penalty. It's almost as if the laws of the game don't apply to us as they should.

To add, it's not just the responsibility of VAR to officiate. Both the referee and the linesman should have awarded the foul. Luckily, they were both as incompetent as whoever was on VAR.

Last edited:
We all know that VAR isn’t perfect, but if it was so 100% clear cut and so black and white some are claiming it to be, surely it would have been given on review.

We all know that VAR isn’t perfect, but if it was so 100% clear cut and so black and white some are claiming it to be, surely it would have been given on review.
That's assuming it was reviewed.

To be honest, we came out on the right side of it so I'm glad of their incompetence.

If it was reviewed it should have been a penalty. But I've seen no evidence that it was reviewed.
Fair enough. I’m sure my stream said it was being reviewed so I was going off that.

Don't worry, We'd have saved the penalty!

The only problem with giving it (and it probably should have been given), is that in every single game in every single set piece, shirts are pulled and players are held back. You can’t give 10 penalties in each game can you?

The difference between the Vardy one and this one is that Vardy had a clear goal scoring opportunity denied while the other one is subjective.

Both should have been penalties in the true law of the game, that clearly isn't applied as it's correct that this would lead to a lot more penalties. One was a clear cut stopping of a goal scoring opportunity, one was not.

I think everyone has reached the same conclusion. It's being said in different words.

The only problem with giving it (and it probably should have been given), is that in every single game in every single set piece, shirts are pulled and players are held back. You can’t give 10 penalties in each game can you?

The difference between the Vardy one and this one is that Vardy had a clear goal scoring opportunity denied while the other one is subjective.
Yep, totally agree. For me it's not a penalty as there is no way of saying if the player would have even got near the ball. To add, the player neither goes down or complains about the foul. Russell Martin even acknowledged this in his post match interview.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool821
2Manchester C  820
3Arsenal817
4Aston Villa817
5Brighton815
6Chelsea814
7Tottenham 813
8Nottm F813
9Newcastle812
10Fulham811
11Bournemouth811