Post Match Southampton 2 Leicester 3

Yep, totally agree. For me it's not a penalty as there is no way of saying if the player would have even got near the ball. To add, the player neither goes down or complains about the foul. Russell Martin even acknowledged this in his post match interview.
Again, none of that is relevant.

It's a penalty.

Definite penalty for Southampton, as you are seeking to gain an advantage by pulling the players shirt, denying him the chance to go and challenge for the ball. That said, there is an awful lot going on at corners/free kicks these days - blocking the goalkeeper, blocking runners, manhandling attackers etc.

I’m in the “definitely a pen” camp here. If it’s a free kick elsewhere on the pitch, which it would be, it should be a penalty in the box. If that means a spot kick every few minutes and 8-10 goals a game until players learn, then it should.

I’m in the “definitely a pen” camp here. If it’s a free kick elsewhere on the pitch, which it would be, it should be a penalty in the box. If that means a spot kick every few minutes and 8-10 goals a game until players learn, then it should.

Happens anywhere else on the pitch it’s a free kick and a yellow card

But because the bloke probably wouldn’t have made it to the ball ahead of the keeper it’s not an offence?

Everybody has gone complete wibble on this one, especially the daft VAR ****s

This has been said for years but it will never happen.

The thing that seems clear to me is that VAR was supposed to lessen controversy. In that it has failed miserably. I think I have said before, one man, the referee, with only two eyes can be excused for getting things wrong. VAR with all its camera angles and the ability to view things frame-by-frame has no excuse for being unable to satisfy everybody on the correctness of its decisions.

VAR with all its camera angles and the ability to view things frame-by-frame has no excuse for being unable to satisfy everybody on the correctness of its decisions.
It will never be able to on grey areas, of which there are and will always be plenty.

The thing that seems clear to me is that VAR was supposed to lessen controversy. In that it has failed miserably. I think I have said before, one man, the referee, with only two eyes can be excused for getting things wrong. VAR with all its camera angles and the ability to view things frame-by-frame has no excuse for being unable to satisfy everybody on the correctness of its decisions.
I think it has made things harder for referees, in that it has removed the leeway they would have if they only get one chance to see an incident. Before, if a referee missed something, they would normally be excused to a degree, in that sometimes things are missed. Now, with VAR, they’re expected to get everything right and, as we see, they don’t always do that, so they get hammered more for it.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool821
2Manchester C  820
3Arsenal817
4Aston Villa817
5Brighton815
6Chelsea814
7Tottenham 813
8Nottm F813
9Newcastle812
10Fulham811
11Bournemouth811