Post Match Southampton 2 Leicester 3

Surely it’s a good thing if players are disappointed they are not playing and want to prove they should be with performances on the pitch.

Scooper said in his post-match interview on the BBC "Abdul is transitioning into becoming a Premiership Player, that's not always a straight forward process..... He's taking on board some of the bits we're trying to help him with that will help him improve and become an established Premier League player". Also, "Undeliverable togetherness in the group.... you can't succeed without being together".

Looks like Abdul will continue only doing 40-45 mins a game to me. At least he won't get over-played like Youri T was.

I actually agree with what SC was saying
The first few game AF looked lost
Now he is starting to show how good he is.
You have to credit the manager and back room staff ( goes against the grain with some, but personally , I really don’t give a shit )

Let’s just take in the progress of this talent as we take the Trees to pieces

Pop (and a few others) see the 'new' way of football being played as progressive and important. They see what EM did with the club last season and want that approach to be continued. Pep ball is the future, etc.
This isn't the case, I can assure you. I liked us under Maresca but I also liked us under other managers that had a completely different approach. I'm not attached to any form of football, I simply want us to play to our strengths whatever they are at the given time.

It is exceptionally clear that playing both Fatawu and Mavididi is one of our strengths. It's also clear that employing the FB system we currently have is insane. This has been exemplified in almost every game we have played.

I'll absolutely give Cooper credit when it is due, such as for his attacking substitutions today (I have done this in the past despite the childish one-upmanship desperately peddled at times) but I'm not going to be fooled into thinking he's anything to be excited about until he can get the basics right consistently. He may well do that, but he hasn't yet. I liked Maresca because he had us playing to our strengths, doing the basics really well and that's why we were winning at will. That's what I want in a manager. I don't see the 'future of football' as anything. It's not linear and there will be a million more different ways of playing the game that comes and go.

If Cooper can build on this then brilliant. If we start on Friday with Fatawu on the bench and the same defensive setup then I'll be miffed again because we all know what the outcome will be; the same as it was for the first 60 minutes today.

I just want us the use our squad in the best way possible. I'm not buying this nonsense about us having a 'shit squad'. It's not the best but it's more than good enough to survive very comfortably in this league given those that will be in the bottom eight mix.

This was my point when I asked what on earth was meant by an 'agenda'. It makes no sense hence why it couldn't be answered. I'd be over the moon if we turned up for more than 30 minutes a game. I'm under no illusion we will more than likely lose more than we win this season and that's to be expected; there's no criticism from me when we lose to a team who we just can't compete with if we have at least given it a go. It's when we don't compete simply because our approach to the game is wholly wrong or when we decide to play too safe and crawl into a self-destructive pseudo-protective bubble, that I and many others get frustrated. There's no 'agenda' that's just daft Daily Mail type tin foil hat nonsense. We all want the same thing in reality.

MOTD was very enjoyable. My family have just had to suffer me raving about Fatawu for ten minutes.

(And yes So’ton should have had a pen)

Back to back wins is going to give the players confidence in spades.

Fatawu simply has to start. To make any other argument at this point is folly.

IF Cooper had started with Fatawu and Winks the first half might have been different - but it might not - we'll never know.
I enjoyed the way our fans were calling for Fatawu - then cheered him on every time he was passed the ball - a bit of a throw back to last season...
However, (unlike most subs that SC has made this season) it seemed to me that Fatawu and Winks felt they had a point to prove, and really grasped the opportunity to show the manager what was missing - their contribution (and Ayew's) transformed our performance and we snatched 3 vital points from the jaws of defeat.

A tense watch but a great result for us.
The latter point is important, sometimes dropping players, and then bringing them back in, gives them extra motivation, as well as removing pressure from during the period they not taking part, and yep as you said may have been a factor.

I feel Fatawa is the sort of player that would benefit from coming on second half, as his energy advantage would exploit things, and the player he is up against would have to adapt to him late in the game. So I wouldnt necessarily be putting him straight in a starting line up, sometimes players are better as impact subs. I trust in Cooper on that decision.

The latter point is important, sometimes dropping players, and then bringing them back in, gives them extra motivation, as well as removing pressure from during the period they not taking part, and yep as you said may have been a factor.

I feel Fatawa is the sort of player that would benefit from coming on second half, as his energy advantage would exploit things, and the player he is up against would have to adapt to him late in the game. So I wouldnt necessarily be putting him straight in a starting line up, sometimes players are better as impact subs. I trust in Cooper on that decision.
I'm not sure the theory of bringing your best players on when you're two goals down will always be as successful as it was today.

Pop (and a few others) see the 'new' way of football being played as progressive and important. They see what EM did with the club last season and want that approach to be continued. Pep ball is the future, etc.

CF (and a few others) find the 'new' way of football tedious and overblown. They don't care for the modern reinvention of the game as something more complex and yearn for us to buck the trend.

Southampton are a case in point. They played us off the park for the first hour today using the 'modern' style. They caved in the last half hour because it only works when it works and collapses if there is a red card or players feck up.

Cooper is caught between the styles. He clearly wants aspects to be 'new' and set us up today just like Maresca did. We tried to play 3-2-4-1 in possession, and 4-4-2 out of possession, like last season. We tried to play wide and use patient passing. He knows he has quite a few players that want to play this way. He's changed a few things positionally, but the basic principles he's using are different to anything he's done in management before.

Cooper is, at heart, a pragmatist. He knows that we won't win much with the modern style and mediocre players. See Southampton this season and Burnley last season. So he knows we can't just go 'pure' Pep ball. What's the point of plaudits for style when you lose every week? He also has half a team that weren't here last season.

Given all this, I'm glad we have Cooper navigating us through. He's clearly smart enough to get it. We're clearly going to have a season of chaos football and I'm all in for it. The stats aren't going to be pretty but the wins will be.

Is it a long term route to re-establishing us in the PL? Feck knows. But what should really matter to all of us is the fact that of 24 matches played by the three new PL sides this season, there have only been two wins and we've got 'em both. And. for the first time this season, tonight we're no longer odds on to go down.
Exactly! I can't add any more to that. Succinctly, clear how I feel. How you manage to write so intelligibly having just won a well deserved stash shows you haven't spent it on beer yet.

I agree with this.

We just can't afford to keep getting it so wrong so frequently. He made the right substitutions today and Winks and Fatawu completely changed the game.

Everyone could see that Fatawu needed to start. That was a horrible decision. Persisting with the FB setup which means Kristiansen and JJ have to be in two places at once is also complete madness.

BUT...

He got it spot on on the end by going balls deep and trying to win the game. That was brave. The BIG question is, will he learn from it. He's been slow as **** to learn anything so far but surely he must take note of that second half and use it as a template for how not to end up two goals down to the worst side in the league.

When he shows that he can do this, he will get much more credit from me and many other fans. Until then, it's a mix of the good, the bad and the downright ****ing useless which means there will be inevitable questions about whether or not he's up to

I've said lots of positive things about him in the past. You've ignored them.

#c#childishagenda
You should write down and publish the agenda. Then work on #hiddenagenda

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool821
2Manchester C  820
3Arsenal817
4Aston Villa817
5Brighton815
6Chelsea814
7Tottenham 813
8Nottm F813
9Newcastle812