Southend Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Rob Kelly is going to stick with Tiatto, nominally at left wing, for say the first half until Porter comes on, then why not put him at left back and Nils at left wing. At least Nils will not drift in. He is not much faster than Tiatto but he did try going down the touchline a couple of times.

Cracking idea. :023: ;)

Great Idea, we already have four centre backs playing so why not another in midfield!

I thought Southend were pretty good for this division, though their Goalie and Centre backs were not up to much. I think they will stay up. Interesting also the way they practised quick passing in the warm up, rather than just messing about and hoofing. A well drilled team.

Apart from their handballs their midfield overran ours and they played with proper wingers. Nils had it a lot easier after that nippy winger got taken off.

Both our fullbacks are a bit slow to get forward, though pleased to see that the team kept pushing forward rather than defending a single goal lead, as both CL and MA did too often. Also good to see positive Substitutions adding to the attack. RK seemed to be going for a second goal.

The midfield still wories me. Hughes takes a decent shot on goal, but is rather out of his depth a lot of the time. Still prefer him to shaggy in this role. Low doesnt seem to have settled at this level yet, but makes an effort. I dont know what to make of him yet. Andy Johnson does rather better at distribution and did gain the ball sometimes but does seem way off the pace. Too stationary by half! Apart from the delivery for the goal (!) Tiatto doesnt seem to offer much, and Levi Porter seems a better bet, but less good at linking with Nils. If we had proper fullbacks getting forward then I think the whole midfield would be better supported.

Fryatt seems to have lost cofidence, plays better a little further forward. Doesnt seem the right combination with COG.

... and if Rob Kelly is going to keep Tiatto and Nils on the park, your better idea would be what?

Assuming both are on the park, where they played Saturday is best. Neither can pass the ball, but Nissa's decent in defence (although he struggled for the first 15 minutes against Campbell-Ryce). Tiatto can't be relied on to keep his position (Kenton was far more disciplined and played well yesterday, but if he and Tiatto were our FBs we'd be left with 2 at the back half the time)

Personally I wouldn't play Tiatto, and then the problem doesn't arise. But given your premise that they are both on the pitch, Nissa has to be LB (he's a defender, and the 2 Paddies are better in the middle).

The only argument could be whether you play Tiatto centrally in a Savage type role, which would mean that he could roam more without leaving gaping holes. But Danny's passing isn't good enough, so if he plays, and Nissa also plays, Tiatto has to be left mid.

What Nissa does is defend the back-post area well from towering CF's, something Twatto would be unable to do as well.

What Nissa does is defend the back-post area well from towering CF's, something Twatto would be unable to do as well.

I think Nissa deserves his spot at left-back for us: the main knock on him is he's not that great on the ball - wish he would swing in more crosses 1st time when the winger lays the ball back to him (or gets ahead of the winger), and his passing is suspect at times. But he is decent defensively, and is definitely better than anyone else who could play there IMHO.

Tiatto unfortunately is well past his best, although if he did stay wide more often he would be far, far better. I thought Porter looked a bit dubious against Cov, but when he came on on Saturday he was much better than Tiatto was in the first, largely because he stayed wider. (Wish he hadn't have stuck his hand up for a cross to the far post though - even if was being marked by their shortest player (Campbell Ryce), he was still four or five inches shorter than him!

nissa at left mid. this place has turned into pat sharps fun house

pat_sharp_boys.jpg

:038: :038: :038: :038: :038:

I've given up replying to half the twaddle put out on here about Southend,

Actually i'll edit that, I didn't bother starting

Last edited:
I think Levi Porter should play in goal.
I can see where that comes from Webbo, did you see Levi Porter defend a corner stood on the goal line? I thought it was quite comical to see a 5ft nothing stood on the goal line but it goes to prove he is dedicated and I see him as a terrier to the opposition running all over the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00