Stoke City

Status
Not open for further replies.
I go along with the bookies who are showing a Southampton home win as the slight favourite result - so on that basis i think we will need to beat Stoke.

None of the bookies have Southampton as odds on, or evens, so if you believe the odds there's more chance of Southampton not winning than winning. Therefore we won't need a win, but we might need a draw.

If we do lose I don't think it will be a hammering. We can't score but we can defend, generally

they think saints will win but also favourites to go down even with stoke favourites to win:102:

I noticed that - but the odds offered largely reflect how the money has been laid on the individual matters. Southampton look to have a decent chance - although the Blades have a mathematical chance of making the play offs, I wouldn't think that they are too convinced about that happening. Also, the Saints turned them over at Bramall Lane earlier this season.

I really think we have to win at Stoke - and expect a close game.

Going to be a close game, Stoke will be under pressure but if they go a goal ahead in the first 20 minutes then we could be in trouble. The longer we can keep a clean sheet the better. As for Southampton, Sheff U still have something to play for, even though its only a slight chance of reaching the play offs they will still be going for the win!!

Last edited:
The problem is that if Palace / Ipswich / Wolves are 2/3 goals up at half time, the news will inevitably filter down to the Sheff Utd players

And THAT is when it all starts going horribly wrong IMO

It could well be a resounding victory on Sunday such is how the season has gone. 3-2 Leicester with a Stearman screamer from the halfway line to win it in the 90th minute!!

we need sheff utd to score 7 goals early - we might just be ok then..
You are such a misery. Change your avatar to something uplifting and people may start taking you seriously. You are the Lee Dixon 'moaning minnie' of talking balls. (unless you change your avatar of course, then you are ok)

Last edited:
None of the bookies have Southampton as odds on, or evens, so if you believe the odds there's more chance of Southampton not winning than winning. Therefore we won't need a win, but we might need a draw.

As usual - and if you take a second glance - you will see that I chose my words quite carefully. As you would expect the odds are tight for that game - but the shortest odds are for a Southampton win. When I said that I went with the bookies - it was in that context but I also have a long held view that more often than not, sides that have to get a result at home in this type of encounter are more likely than not to do so. Unfortunately, that trait does not seem to apply to us.

I think it would be a mistake for us to go to Stoke thinking a draw could well suffice. It might but as I have posted before, I think we should play it as tight as possible but play two strikers and try to win the game on the break.

On a related point, I wonder how many TB's people were like me at Old Trafford in May 1969 when we needed to win the last game to have a chance of staying up. We tore into Man U at the start of that game, took an early lead, but unfortunately ultimately lost.

You are such a misery. Change your avatar to something uplifting and people may start taking you seriously. You are the Lee Dixon 'moaning minnie' of talking balls. (unless you change your avatar of course, then you are ok)

What like they do you ?

The one really big positive is that like ourselves Stoke are going into the game under severe pressure, which offers me some comfort. I would rather be playing a side in need of a result and the pressures that go along with that than against a side who have nothing left to play for. The weight of expectation will be massive on the Home side, and this is by and far and away their best opportunity to secure promotion, they will be well aware that if they feck this up then its the lottery of the play offs and I would be amazed to see them progress through that route following such a bitter disappointment.

Stoke will be nervous as we will be and I can see a very tense, scrappy and untidy game unfolding.

I think it will be very tight and IMO it will be a very low scoring encounter. And it is impossible to predict.

Feckin twitchy 'arris time !!

The one really big positive is that like ourselves Stoke are going into the game under severe pressure, which offers me some comfort. I would rather be playing a side in need of a result and the pressures that go along with that than against a side who have nothing left to play for. The weight of expectation will be massive on the Home side, and this is by and far and away their best opportunity to secure promotion, they will be well aware that if they feck this up then its the lottery of the play offs and I would be amazed to see them progress through that route following such a bitter disappointment.

Stoke will be nervous as we will be and I can see a very tense, scrappy and untidy game unfolding.

I think it will be very tight and IMO it will be a very low scoring encounter. And it is impossible to predict.

Feckin twitchy 'arris time !!

Your favourite kind of time!

Fuller is the danger, he has scored against us for Preston, Southampton, Ipswich and Stoke does anyone know if he has played a match against us and not scored?

Going to be a close game, Stoke will be under pressure but if they go a goal ahead in the first 20 minutes then we could be in trouble. The longer we can keep a clean sheet the better. As for Southampton, Sheff U still have something to play for, even though its only a slight chance of reaching the play offs they will still be going for the win!!

I agree that we need to keep a clean sheet for as long as possible.
I seem to remember going 2 goals up at stoke and still losing.
Better a last minute winner. Or am I going mad ?

Suggest everone goes in brown trousers..

3-2 Stoke

I can see us putting up a bit of fight but ultimately just not being good enough, and I think we will go down, Southampton 2-2 Sheff Utd.

IH has to know that this is his final game in charge. He maybe hopes that he'll hang onto his job if we survive, but I can't see it.

His final team selection is going to require some big decisions if it's got a chance of delivering a win.

Firstly in goal, Henderson or Alnwick. Obvious call is Henderson. I'd go with Alnwick. Henderson has been responsible for a number of bloopers during his run in the side. He also inspires zero confidence. A couple of penalty saves is nothing more than a smokescreen. Alnwick isn't much better, but has a stronger presence.

In defence, he has to leave out N'Gotty. His performances recently have been woeful and he hasn't got the legs for the likes of Fuller. Stearman needs to be moved into the centre.

In midfield, it will be a case of picking whoever is fit. I hope to see Wesolowski, Hendrie, Mattock and Bell in there. I think Oakley has forgotten that he's not still playing for Soton anymore over recent games. He seems to be doing his best to keep them up at our expense. Please no to Hume wide too.

Up front, Howard is a dead weight at present. Has to be Hume and Hayles. In my view, they are the only pairing that might work.

My line up: Alnwick, Chambers, Stearman, McAuley, Clapham, Bell, Hendrie, Wesolowski, Mattock, Hume, Hayles - Subs: Henderson, Worley, Oakley, Campbell, Howard

Shite line up. But the only one I can see having a prayer of saving us by themselves.

Can't help feeling that our best chance will be the 11 representing Sheff U though. I've far more faith in them than our lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00