Summer Holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.

KempsonFox

I'm looking to book a holiday in July for me and my girlfriend, however as I have only been abroad twice and the last time was years ago some tips would be much appreciated.

We would like to go somewhere warm but are not bothered about it being a party place or anything like that as neither of us are too bothered about drinking.

Some tips about the best way to book & good places to go would be appreciated - online/in-store, who you would recommend booking through and whether it is best to book the holiday as a package or do the flights/hotels seperately.

Cheers

Last edited:

Lako42

Pefkos in Rhodes was lovely, really nice beach and a nice town with a bit of life at night, but not the 18-30 'let's get ****ed out of our brains' crowd.

I would happily go there again.

Lindia Thalassa Studios and Apartments, we booked it through 1st choice on their website.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
You really need to decide first about the kind of holiday you want. Sea and Sunshine? - or Lakes and Mountains? Holiday in one place? - travel around a bit? Culture or cult destination? How important is it that you go somewhere English is spoken? Do you want all meals included? etc., etc.

In your position I would get a pile of brochures from a travel agent, look through them together and first decide on what you want to do. When you have done that people may be able to suggest whether you would be better to take a package or to book yourself. Remember that if you book yourself, you have to remember that you are responsible for everything; are you ready to make arrangements to get yourself from the airport to your accommodation, perhaps in the middle of the night?

Over to you. And remember just because it's the best holiday for somebody else, it might be your worst nightmare - and vice versa.

muzzysgal

I've spent two fortnights during July at a lovely resort called La Pineda on the Costa Dorada.

It's got a brilliant beach, a waterpark at the back of the resort, is a short local bus ride from Port Aventura, and has regular buses to Barcelona for a day trip.

I always book online and use one of the Tui group of agents (mainly Portland) as I know that everything (transfers to resort etc) will be sorted for me.

Mainland Spain may not be the most exciting place to say you're going, but this resort is a bit of a "hidden gem" IMO.

KempsonFox

Pefkos in Rhodes was lovely, really nice beach and a nice town with a bit of life at night, but not the 18-30 'let's get ****ed out of our brains' crowd.

I would happily go there again.

Lindia Thalassa Studios and Apartments, we booked it through 1st choice on their website.

Thanks for the tip, sounds good and I will defo look into that. The least time on a plane the better as they are my worst nightmare!

Lako42

Thanks for the tip, sounds good and I will defo look into that. The least time on a plane the better as they are my worst nightmare!

No probs, I thought that was a nice place if you want a package holiday.

If it were me I would take 2 weeks and go on a mini trip around some lesser travelled european countries.

Get an interrail pass and head into eastern europe, it's fantastic.

KempsonFox

I've spent two fortnights during July at a lovely resort called La Pineda on the Costa Dorada.

It's got a brilliant beach, a waterpark at the back of the resort, is a short local bus ride from Port Aventura, and has regular buses to Barcelona for a day trip.

I always book online and use one of the Tui group of agents (mainly Portland) as I know that everything (transfers to resort etc) will be sorted for me.

Mainland Spain may not be the most exciting place to say you're going, but this resort is a bit of a "hidden gem" IMO.

I have actually just been looking on the Thomas Cook store at Costa Dorada! Also seems interesting.

And cheers Boc for the response, I would prefer sight seeing and may be a bit of travelling around, the girlfriend wants the beach. Therefore you can probably guess that it is the beach that we are going for.

Matt_B

I have actually just been looking on the Thomas Cook store at Costa Dorada! Also seems interesting.

And cheers Boc for the response, I would prefer sight seeing and may be a bit of travelling around, the girlfriend wants the beach. Therefore you can probably guess that it is the beach that we are going for.

We had the same problem booking our honeymoon, but in reverse, I just want somewhere to relax and she wants to do some activities. In the end we settled on Mexico which covers it all but might be out of your price range, I know we couldn't have afforded it for a normal holiday.

The area MG suggested is good for that, we went to somewhere an hour from Barcelona (I forget the place) and it had good beeches, OK pubs for at night and we spent a day in Barca looking around.

Cyprus is also very good for having bits to see and do, Catamarans etc and gorgeous weather and beeches.

fcukcov

Kemps. Try Egypt. Relatively cheap to get there and stay and when you get there. Outside the euro and you can mix the beach with some of the best sight seeing out there.

MKFox

we stayed at the hotel at port aventura a couple of years ago. not much more expensive and you get free access to the theme park, which is the best i've ever been to, if you like that sort of thing.

Darth Vodka

Malta is hot but mercifully free of the "Full English" crowd

it also has some historical stuff in Valetta and that

there are still English pubs and all the locals speak English...

i'm assuming your budget is fairly normal and you're just looking for med-but-not-mad...

KempsonFox

We've got family friends that always go to Malta and they can't recommend it highly enough.

Cheers for all suggestions so far, they will all be looked into when I get home.

Last edited:

Lako42

Mablethorpe. You can sit on donkeys there.

You can just down the road from Pefkos at Lindos, except there are no where near the same amounts of 'chisits' knocking about.

KempsonFox

Another question, if you book online or in the travel agents do they give you the option to book now and pay later? Or put a deposit down? I really am new to this!

The Major

Another question, if you book online or in the travel agents do they give you the option to book now and pay later? Or put a deposit down? I really am new to this!

If you put a deposit down you can pay the rest as you can afford it upto a certain time before you go.

We always find a holiday online, print it out and then take it to the travel agents and get them to match the price and book it. That way if something goes wrong you can argue with them face to face rather than online or over the phone.

The way the Euro is you'd be much cheaper going to Turkey.

Last edited:

enderby fox

Not far to go but the south of france is nice and thats where i'll be heading this year.

Not too far from Monaco for a good day out and its got some nice towns such as Antibes, St Tropez, Port Grimaud (mini venice) and the beaches are lovely. Plus Cannes and Nice ain't the worst places you can go.

Were actually camping which is a good laugh and were there while the world cup is on and the resorts are always good but not too lively and full of dick heads.

LCFCmonkey

we stayed at the hotel at port aventura a couple of years ago. not much more expensive and you get free access to the theme park, which is the best i've ever been to, if you like that sort of thing.

We stayed there for the opening of the hotel. One of my favourite resorts (thanks to the theme park), but it wasn't finished. We actually got a load of compensation because it wasn't properly ready for guests, but it was a beautiful hotel. We also stayed at the El Paso the year after. I couldn't recommend Salou highly enough as it is lively both in the day and night, but unlike Benidorm there are places where it is a little more relaxed. I've been there 7 times and we're looking a maybe going back in September.

If you do decide to head to The Costa Daurada, I'd recommend you either go in early-mid May or September. This ensures that you will miss the majority of the crowds for the theme park. This could mean a difference of a queue-time of 3 minutes compared to 3 hours in June-August.

GazLCFC

You can just down the road from Pefkos at Lindos, except there are no where near the same amounts of 'chisits' knocking about.

Not been to Pefkos but Lindos is lovely. I went a few years back. Loads of narrow streets and whitewashed buildings. Also worth heading up to the Acropolis on a donkey.

Rhodes is a great island to visit and all quite accessable. We used a public bus to travel to Rhodes Town and had no problems at all.

Not an official site but this seems to have a lot of info.

http://www.lindoseye.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670