Summer Holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be in America for a week in April then a few weeks in Mexico in August, looking forwards to both immensely.

Kempson, have you sorted anything yet? And if not, what kind of budget are you looking at for the whole holiday? (Spending money included).

Also, are there any requirements for your holiday, such as "needs to be close to a beach", or "something to do in the day", etc...

He's still got find some pills to knock himself out first....he's shit scared of flying.

I was the same... until I had a real reason to fly. As soon as I realised that I could not get to see City in Madrid unless I flew, I got over it. Now I'm OK.

Actually it wasn't the flying that got me - well not all of it. Taking off I found quite exhilerating - the actual flying is still as boring as it was then - it was the landing that I just couldn't take. I always regarded landing as little more than a controlled crash and it was that that I didn't fancy. Hard to say what finally got be over it. The need to fly certainly helped - and the fact that there was no alternative. I'm not sure whether 'pills' would have helped me.

Kempson, have you sorted anything yet? And if not, what kind of budget are you looking at for the whole holiday? (Spending money included).

Also, are there any requirements for your holiday, such as "needs to be close to a beach", or "something to do in the day", etc...

Not sorted anything yet, budget will probably be around 1k total for the two of us. I'd like to do an interesting holiday whereas she'd prefer the beach. Any suggestions are welcome.

And Boc, landing is the best bit, I hate everything else!

Not sorted anything yet, budget will probably be around 1k total for the two of us. I'd like to do an interesting holiday whereas she'd prefer the beach. Any suggestions are welcome.

Naturist holiday in the south of France! It will definitely be interesting going round a supermarket with fat naked Germans. And you've still got the beach outside.

No need to get the plane either!

If you're seriously travelling to and in Europe by train, you can get loads of information from The Man in Seat 61.

We went to Marrakech in 2008, following his suggestions and had a great time.

Last edited:

Then I would suggest Egypt or Cyprus. Both have great beaches and enough interest to take you away from the beach when you want to do more than just laze around. Cyprus is probably more expensive than Egypt, certainly when it comes to eating out. They both have similar flying times with Egypt being slightly longer, but does have much more to see and do IMO.

Right. Here's a few I found for around your budget.

http://www.firstchoice.co.uk/fcsun/page/details/details.page?packageNumber=2367001954MWHMAG127836420000012783774000003160127898580000012789921000003161&linkName=
Hotel Delfin Azul, Alcudia, Mallorca
7 nights Half Board

Monday 5th July Doncaster Sheffield - Palma Mallorca 22:10 - 01:50
Tuesday 13th July Palma Mallorca - Doncaster Sheffield 02:50 - 04:35

Price for 2 people - £800
Insurance not included.
In-flight meals can be added for £24

You generally can't go wrong with Mallorca. There are nice beaches all around the island, and there are always plenty of activities such as waterparks, mini-golf, etc.

http://www.firstchoice.co.uk/fcsun/page/details/details.page?packageNumber=2385002090WAIUAV127839630000012784092000007214127901760000012790239000007215&linkName=
Hotel Sol Pelicanos/Ocas, Benidorm, Costa Blanca
7 nights half board

Tuesday 6th July East Midlands - Alicante 07:00 - 10:35
Tuesday 13th July Alicante - East Midlands 11:35 - 13:10

Total price for 2 people - £834
Insurance not included
In flight meals can be added for £24

I'm sure you know about Benidorm's reputation, so I won't have to explain much to you. Definately worth a visit is the Terra Mítíca Theme Park, which is easily accessed from the resort.

http://www.firstchoice.co.uk/fcsun/page/details/details.page?packageNumber=1877009472CFTSDO127842750000012784386000007256127902330000012790278000007257&linkName=
Hotel Cala Font, Cap Salou, Costa Daurada
7 nights half board

Tuesday 6th July Birmingham - Reus 15:45 - 18:50
Tuesday 13th July Reus - Birmingham 13:15 - 14:50

Total Price - £852
Insurance not included

Salou is one of my personal favourites. This place has the perfect mix of glorious beaches and fun things to do. On top of the PortAventura theme park, and the various waterparks, Salou is only an hour away from Barcelona, and there are various trips available which include a visit to the Camp Nou.

http://www.firstchoice.co.uk/fcsun/...07684127880370000012788076000007685&linkName=
Santa Monica Hotel, Calella de la Costa, Costa Brava
7 nights All Inclusive

Saturday 10th July Birmingham - Gerona 20:15 - 23:15
Sunday 18th July Gerona - Birmingham 00:15 - 01:20

Total Price - £860
Insurance not Included

Last but not least is the Costa Brava. I don't know as much about the most northerly Costa, but i've been told it's just as good. Like Salou, it is situated about an hour away from Barcelona (in the opposite direction). Plus this hotel is All Inclusive, so this may be of benefit to your budget.

There is four i've found just checking on First Choice's website, in about half an hour.

I have not included in flight meals as the flights are only short, but you can add them if you would prefer.

I have also not added insurance, as I feel it would be cheaper to get elsewhere on the internet. For two weeks travelling around Europe, my fiancée and I got insured for £20-odd quid.

Remember, you will need spending money on top of these prices.

Then I would suggest Egypt or Cyprus. Both have great beaches and enough interest to take you away from the beach when you want to do more than just laze around. Cyprus is probably more expensive than Egypt, certainly when it comes to eating out. They both have similar flying times with Egypt being slightly longer, but does have much more to see and do IMO.

The trouble is that he is looking at going in July. Obviously this is the peak of the season, where the prices will be highest.

I've also found this one in Sharm el Sheikh which works out to £1060 in total, but having only been to Sharm once, i'm not 100% sure on the location.

If you go to Egypt, it is probably ideal to find a hotel/resort that is self-contained so that you make the most of your All-Inclusive deal.

In Cyprus however, you tend to leave the hotel a lot more, so All Inclusive is good for around the hotel, but once you leave it you tend to spend a lot around the town.

But then again, it's all down to preference. There are plenty of options around, so you are probably better off searching the main travel agents' websites.

Calella de la Costa

Been there - full of crazy Dutch ****ers...not a bad thing however. Decent coastline there and Barcelona is not far away at all (train ride which is fairly cheap).

Alcudia

Ain't bad either. Only downside is it's position on the island meaning doing Palma for the day unless on a tour is a mission.

The trouble is that he is looking at going in July. Obviously this is the peak of the season, where the prices will be highest.

I've also found this one in Sharm el Sheikh which works out to £1060 in total, but having only been to Sharm once, i'm not 100% sure on the location.

If you go to Egypt, it is probably ideal to find a hotel/resort that is self-contained so that you make the most of your All-Inclusive deal.

In Cyprus however, you tend to leave the hotel a lot more, so All Inclusive is good for around the hotel, but once you leave it you tend to spend a lot around the town.

But then again, it's all down to preference. There are plenty of options around, so you are probably better off searching the main travel agents' websites.

Your link has timed out. I've been to Sharm a couple of times and loved it on both occasions, admittedly I used it as a base for diving, but there is also loads to do apart from that. (The quad biking in the desert was ace).

Have a look here for some good deals for wherever you want to go

http://www.travelsupermarket.com/

Your link has timed out. I've been to Sharm a couple of times and loved it on both occasions, admittedly I used it as a base for diving, but there is also loads to do apart from that. (The quad biking in the desert was ace).

Have a look here for some good deals for wherever you want to go

http://www.travelsupermarket.com/

Egypt is great and cheap, put you will not have a solid motion for weeks. Shitting through the eye of a needle is expected.

Diving is superb though and is better on a liveaboard.

I'm sure you know about Benidorm's reputation, so I won't have to explain much to you. Definately worth a visit is the Terra Mítíca Theme Park, which is easily accessed from the resort.

Salou is one of my personal favourites. This place has the perfect mix of glorious beaches and fun things to do. On top of the PortAventura theme park, and the various waterparks, Salou is only an hour away from Barcelona, and there are various trips available which include a visit to the Camp Nou.
I went to Benidorm last year on a very late deal and was pleasantly surprised. The area where we were was not at all typical of the image that is portrayed - there were lots of little boutiques and it wasn't at all noisy or rowdy. It was packed with Spanish folk on their own holidays. It was only on our last day that we stumbled upon "The Square".

I wouldn't recommend it for you though, as the beach was/will be packed in July.

As for Salou - I took a local bus there when I went to La Pineda. I couldn't wait to get the next bus back. Absolutely, Blackpool abroad. Enough said.

Try Ice Lolly.com . thats where i got my last holiday to ibiza in October. It was all inclusive and cost £250 each. Cracking holiday. Obviously it was october so a lot cheaper but its still cheaper than most other companies during july.

Theres one for Sharm el Sheikh all inclusive for around £300 quid each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669