Sven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good manager? Ok he has a good record in Portugal and Italy but what has he done in the last 10 years?

1). Underachieved with and England squad who could've done much better, especially in 2006

2). Did nothing of great note with Man City to leave after a year

3). Took up a role as Director of Football at Notts County and left

4). Did nothing but take a big fat pay cheque from the Ivory Coast

Suspect. Obviously he has got more of a pedigree than other names we could've been linked with, but he's only here for the money and will bleed us dry. I don't see what skills as a manager Sven has for Championship football.

Funny how you didn't mention any of his achievments isn't it

From what I know...

Sven has agreed to come to LCFC as he believes the new owners have the finances to make LCFC a successful Premiership club which he will feel a part of the making.
Sven has turned down a few 'cushy' numbers for this, as he did for Notts County as he really wants to take a club on the down and make them a club on the up. At Notts County he did a good job prior to leaving due to the financial nonsense.

For those who do not want Sven, can you please tell me why? I can only think that an appointment of this stature somehow changes the club for you? Can anyone honestly tell me why this is not an absolutely incredible appointment for us? Please don't talk Ivory Coast/Mexico crap. That is irrelevant.

Sven's record at club level is way and beyond anything we could have expected at the Walkers. The fact he is coming says that money will be spent to make this club a Premiership side before too long. Perhaps these are the reasons some of you are afraid of this appointment? As in, are we going to be a 'buying success' club? But I am afraid that that decision was made long before the appointment of a manager of the stature of Sven.

I for one am absolutely delighted.

Yep I can, and it is because everything you've written is correct.

It's an impressive signing and signals money and players to come. And success. And ticket price rises. And glory hunters. And more goal music. And a continual alienation of fans like me who remember what real football used to be like in the 70s.

I know I'm a luddite, I know I'm wrong to argue against progress, I know I'm Canute against the tide. But I can help it, it all feels so wrong - no just Sven but all of it. It doesn't feel like my club any more and despite still having all the shirts and programs and pennants and stuff, they don't relate to the current team in the current stadium, the current owners or the management.

As I say, I know I'm "wrong" but there's nothing left at the club for me to love (apart from this forum). It's not what I call football.

Last edited:
I cannot believe the negativity around this appointment. Talking to Lazio supporters in Rome three years ago they spoke of him with awe.

It is easy to forget he was a successful England manager. When we seemed unlikely to qualify for the World Cup of 2002 he turned things round brilliantly. We lost to Brazil - so did Alf Ramsey in 1970. In the European Cup of 2004 and the World Cup of 2006 we qualified and went out on penalties.He was arguably in the four England managers - certainly ahead of Revie, Greenwood, Graham Taylor, Keegan and Maclaren.

It is clear that the Thai owners have their own agenda bringing in top quality Asian players. O'Neill (who would not come to the 2nd division anyway) would never stand for that. Sven is used to owners interfering from his Lazio triumphs.

I have just looked up Wikipedia to check details and find it says that many Lazio fans regard him as their most successful manager ever. That is quite a statement given Lazio's illustrious history and it was the impression I was given by Lazio fans.

Now I shall be off to the match with a spring in my step and maybe lowering to musical tastes to an Abba song in my heart.

It's an impressive signing and signals money and players to come. And success. And ticket price rises. And glory hunters. And more goal music. And a continual alienation of fans like me who remember what real football used to be like in the 70s.

I know I'm a luddite, I know I'm wrong to argue against progress, I know I'm Canute against the tide. But I can help it, it all feels so wrong - no just Sven but all of it. It doesn't feel like my club any more and despite still having all the shirts and programs and pennants and stuff, they don't relate to the current team in the current stadium, the current owners or the management.

As I say, I know I'm "wrong" but there's nothing left at the club for me to love (apart from this forum). It's not what I call football.

I get that totally, I guess I have been gradually resigning to this fact since leaving Filbo and having Mandaric...this is just the latest slip on the sell out slide really.

However, I don't think we could hve imagined such a manager at the Walkers really!!

Pretty much sums up how I feel too, although I wasnt present at matches in the 70's (or early 80's).

Last edited:

Ditto.

Alright then - I'm King Alfred in a world of cake makers.

No you're not. You're the old woman, living in a swamp, whinging at Alfred because he's burnt the cakes, again. And you know it, you haggardly, old bint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669