Sven's Provisional Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i thik with walcott being in there, it takes the attention away from the rest of the players, lowering the pressure on them.

I think we'll find walcott doesn't even make an appearance.

What's Sven got to lose - if Walcott does really well then Sven is a genius, if not then he's the chump we all thought he was.

Actually it looks as if old Walcott might be superceded by a late addition to the squad.
From today's daily Mirror:

WORLD AT HIS FOETUS
YOUR WORLD CUP PAPER .JUST 29 DAYS TO GO
By Richard Chaytor
AN unborn baby is showing early signs of being England's soccer saviour. - by apparently lining up a spot-kick in the womb.

Parents Emma and Richard Jackson were astonished by the image on an ultra-sound scan.

It showed their offspring standing over a ball - the nutrition providing yolk sac - while preparing to take a penalty kick.

Proud Richard, 26, said: "It certainly looks like it has good technique."

The nine-week-old foetus has been named Baby Owen for now, in honour of striker Michael.

he won't be out for another 31 weeks. there's more chance of rooney making it! we're fecked without youg owen surely?

I think SGE istaking Wallcott because he realises the alternatives just aren't good enough and theres a chance that Wallcott just might be,he's an unknown quantity whereas SGE knows what the likes of Defoe,Bent,Johnson etc can do and obviously he thinks they aren't good enough

he's there beacuse he provides a different option. Defoe, Johnson, Bent are all very similar.

think about it, you're beating england 1-0 in the quarter final and you see that England are bringing a sub on. who would you prefer to see come on?

Walcott would be very difficult for tired defenders to deal with.

If he's good enough for England why haven't Arsenal picked him yet?

The more I think about this the more stunned I am unless it's just a ruse.

If Rooney and Owen were 100% fit taking Walcott would be an enlightened decision - he'd gain a lot from being at the tournament and training with England's elite. But our first choice are far from fit and there's a good chance neither will play at all!

I agree the alternatives aren't particurlarly exciting but this smacks of media spin deflecting us from the fact that Rooney actually won't make the 23 and he'll be declared unfit before the final squad cut-off.

So in reality Defoe will take Rooney's place in the squad and possibly the team amd Walcott will be there just for the ride...

Last edited:
Fox From The Hudd said:
If he's good enough for England why haven't Arsenal picked him yet?

Because Henry,Van Persie,Reyes are ahead of him:102: :102: I know what you are saying though.

Wenger won't rush these young stars into first team action straight away. Van Persie and Reyes started out by making lots of substitute appearances before being put into the first team. Players like Toure, Clichy and Eboue haven't been rushed in, and I think Walcott will be the same.

He hasn't been on the bench much because Arsenal have been playing brilliantly since they have had him. Bergkamp and Pires have been given probably their last run-outs, Henry has just been fantastic as ever, Reyes, Adebayor and Van Persie have been in good form too. You know what they say, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Wait till next season, he will be the next big thing in English football....

Mike Hunt Smells said:
Wenger won't rush these young stars into first team action straight away. Van Persie and Reyes started out by making lots of substitute appearances before being put into the first team. Players like Toure, Clichy and Eboue haven't been rushed in, and I think Walcott will be the same.

He hasn't been on the bench much because Arsenal have been playing brilliantly since they have had him. Bergkamp and Pires have been given probably their last run-outs, Henry has just been fantastic as ever, Reyes, Adebayor and Van Persie have been in good form too. You know what they say, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Thats not the argumant Mike, you are correct in what you say. The argument is, if he has never played against the best players EVER, how can anybody know he is capable. OK, it's a gamble. But this is the most important tournament in the whole world, not one you should be gambling with. He has been our manager for 5 years, he should no longer be in a position to gamble.

I agree Melton. We have been waiting 40 years for this, we need our best possible squad, and there is no way on earth that an unproven 17 year old is the best we possibly have. I have been excited about the arrival on stage of Walcott, but this isn't his stage...yet.

Mike Hunt Smells said:

I missed out Adebayor...on purpose.Bit of Kanu:icon_roll

Mike Hunt Smells said:
Wenger won't rush these young stars into first team action straight away.

Wait till next season, he will be the next big thing in English football....[/
QUOTE]

I agree your first point MHS and that's the reason he shouldn't be in the squad in the current context

I've also little doubt he'll be a great player but I think it'll be next seson when he starts to make a few sub appearances like the other players you describe.

i dont know what all the worry is about. he'll come off the bench a couple of times at most. there's gonna be 3 strikers ahead of him no matter what. as well as the preferred option of playing gerrard or cole up front. that makes him 6th in line for a starting place

Nathan said:
i dont know what all the worry is about. he'll come off the bench a couple of times at most. there's gonna be 3 strikers ahead of him no matter what. as well as the preferred option of playing gerrard or cole up front. that makes him 6th in line for a starting place

I can see both positive and negative points to Walcott going. I just hope Sven has made the correct decision.

It's emperors new clothes time on here.

There's a very long line of potential world beaters who went to 'bigger' clubs only to come to nothing, I'll start you off with Danny Cadamarteri and Francis Jeffers. First to 50 names gets a gold star and a milky way.

Ox Fox said:
It's emperors new clothes time on here.

There's a very long line of potential world beaters who went to 'bigger' clubs only to come to nothing, I'll start you off with Danny Cadamarteri and Francis Jeffers. First to 50 names gets a gold star and a milky way.

Failed a drugs test last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670