Sven's Provisional Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wright Phillips wont be there for too much longer IMO, I can see him going out on loan or for half the price Chelsea paid for him. I hope for his sake he leaves anyway. Far too good to be a sub.

im just baffled that darren bent has got more goals then any of those strikers in the premier league yet andy johnson, who has hardly set the championship alight this season has got in ahead-johnson may of got more goals last year but bent has got more from open play-a fooking farce. walcott undoubtly has potential but it makes a joke of getting into the england squad if you haven't made a premiership appearance.

shocking squad IMHO, Lennon may have been ok of late but he's majorly unproven and walcott has not played a premier league game. what is the point of alll the friendlys if he goes and picks untested players. England ain't gonna do anything at the world cup.

Babylon said:
The FA spoke to Wenger... if you think Dein is picking the squad you're in cloud cuckoo land.

Course he's not, but you have to admit it's a little strange to send someone to the world cup who's a) never played a full iinternational b) not played in the premier league c) not played in the first team of his club d) didn't look that amazingly special before he was at Arsenal. The Arse made a massive investment in the kid and everyone who's given a cap suddenly puts 10% on their transfer value, 2+2 =5 and Junior Lewis shot JFK, end of. :028:

Isn't Sol Campbell a work shy, clumsy, blithering idiot that hasn't played football for most of the season because he "got upset".

Fook him off, If I took a few months out of work because somebody called me names I certainly wouldn't expect an invite to the most lucrative job in my trade. Over rated donkey

Mike Hunt Smells said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/england/4750749.stm

The fourth paragraph down may be short, but it is the biggest load of bollocks I think I have ever read. :mad:

Southampton academy director on Walcott: "He has got tremendous ability and pace, which England are short of."

So Gerrard, Rooney, Lampard, Beckham, Cole x2, Terry etc haven't got ability?

WTF!!!!!
Could be a journo punctuation thing... reads differently by moving the comma...

"He has got tremendous ability, and pace which England are short of."

Apart from leaving out Richardson and including Hargreaves, I'm not too disappointed by the squad. There's a lot of players who have had bad seasons, injuries, etc, but we're not talking about building a squad for years to come here, we're talking about a team that can perform over a handful of games and some support players to compliment them.

Also, I'd suggest that any player Wenger feels is worth 12m at 16/17 will probably turn out to be quite good.... :102: :icon_wink OK, we've not seen much of him, but you know he's going to be shit hot.

It will probably look a bit silly when we look back and see we were hoping for "x" instead of Walcott. I remember the debate about who should go in ?86? out of the boy Lineker and.... Kerry Dixon! Dixon was the sensible choice, more tried and tested, more established, etc.

Who would get your hopes up most, get the crowd off their feet and give the team a lift by coming on with 15 mins to go... Walcott, Defoe, Bent or Johnson? In that situation (and it's one that occurs a lot in World Cup football) I'd go with option A, personally. Good call, Sven!

Hargeaves was only picked to save money on the plane tickets

Last edited:
Melton Fox said:
Isn't Sol Campbell a work shy, clumsy, blithering idiot that hasn't played football for most of the season because he "got upset".

Fook him off, If I took a few months out of work because somebody called me names I certainly wouldn't expect an invite to the most lucrative job in my trade. Over rated donkey
He was the only England player to make the "team of the tournament" in the last two world cups? I think? Didn't agree with that, but still...

Like Owen, there are a few players who I'd take just because you know they can do it at that level. Campbell has had a hopeless season, but he's rarely let England down. I'd take him ahead of someone like Anton Ferdinand without doubt. We don't need him for the first team anyway, but if a CB or two pick up a knock, I'd rather have someone experienced in that position to fill in if we happened to fluke our way through to the semis, for example. I think you can throw a kid in up front, but at CB, experience counts for a lot more, especially at international level.

I'm not sure you can really relate the World Cup squad to your workplace, Melts! Somewhat different arena, I suspect...

Although you could (and indeed I will) argue that, even if you'd had a bad year and had a few months off having a strop, but you were one of the most consistent performers in your trade and had proved that at the highest level for the previous ten years, yes, I expect you might still be invited to go for the most "lucrative" job (do they get big bucks - or any bucks - for turning out for England?).

Melton Fox said:
Hargeaves was only picked to save money on the plane tickets
:icon_bigg

Could be the same with Theo, as he may qualify for a kid's seat.

Do we have anyone like Bergkamp that would rather go by boat? That might help as well...

DesertFox said:
He was the only England player to make the "team of the tournament" in the last two world cups? I think? Didn't agree with that, but still...

Like Owen, there are a few players who I'd take just because you know they can do it at that level. Campbell has had a hopeless season, but he's rarely let England down. I'd take him ahead of someone like Anton Ferdinand without doubt. We don't need him for the first team anyway, but if a CB or two pick up a knock, I'd rather have someone experienced in that position to fill in if we happened to fluke our way through to the semis, for example. I think you can throw a kid in up front, but at CB, experience counts for a lot more, especially at international level.

I'm not sure you can really relate the World Cup squad to your workplace, Melts! Somewhat different arena, I suspect...

Although you could (and indeed I will) argue that, even if you'd had a bad year and had a few months off having a strop, but you were one of the most consistent performers in your trade and had proved that at the highest level for the previous ten years, yes, I expect you might still be invited to go for the most "lucrative" job (do they get big bucks - or any bucks - for turning out for England?).
Good post. You got me. But I still think Campbell is a tad clumsy and a liability. But you are right, better him than Ferdinand

Brauny Blue said:
Can't believe Sven wasn't down Belvoir drive yesterday:102:
I think we can now be confident the we are dead certs and no longer need scouting

Well, after some consideration I have thought of a solution to why Sven has picked Walcott, well Sven's Plan B is to play Joe Cole within the Rooney role. Thereby making Walcott 5th choice striker. Gerrard will very possibly play left with Carrick has a holding midfielder.

Robinson

G.Neville Terry Campbell/Rio A Cole
Carrick
Beckham Lampard Gerrard
Owen J.Cole

That will be Plan B, Crouch is the bloke who will come on for the last 20 minutes and prove highly successful. Looks like Reo-Coker will be going, Jenas wont make it in time.

I have said earlier on here, 2010 will be the World Cup England prove their worth.

Robinson
? Dawson Terry A.Cole
Lennon Lampard* Gerrard* J.Cole
Rooney Owen*

*Centre Midfielders could be replaced by a load of good quality players. Owen could be replaced by Bent, Ashton, Walcott, Fryatt?!?

I'm probably one of the very few that is almost quite glad that we will get to see what Walcott can do, lightning pace is a handy asset.. apparently hes a good finisher aswell, plus he could turn out to be a bit of a secret weapon. Nobody is gona know who the hell he is or what to expect of him..

On another note, good to see Lennon in the side but I'm a bit mythed as to why Wright-Phillips was left out, and why Hargreaves is in, I've never been greatly impressed with Hargreaves at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669