Temporary Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
PFKAKTF FOX said:
Although I didnt like Bassett, it was a good decision bringing in an experienced manager with an up and coming assistant, and when Bassett did step aside Micky hit the ground running.

I don't think anybody has actually mentioned this yet, but Rob Kelly was brought in as assistant manager by the club, not by Levein.. I'd always thought that it may be a similar setup to when we had Bassett/MA. I've always thought that putting Kelly in place when Levein left would've been the plan really.

Graz said:
I don't think anybody has actually mentioned this yet, but Rob Kelly was brought in as assistant manager by the club, not by Levein.. I'd always thought that it may be a similar setup to when we had Bassett/MA. I've always thought that putting Kelly in place when Levein left would've been the plan really.

id forgot about that and your dead right the club did bring him and not cl

humm it gets better dont it

read in the milwall program that ME is taking his coaching course

Graz said:

Good point Graz, I always wondered whether it was a compromise to Levein wanting Bassett out, the board obviously at the time wanted somebody within the management team with connections to English football and Leicester, and IMO Levein will have felt that the influence Kelly could have as assistant manager would be far less than Bassett could exert from a D of F role, also Bassett wanted the manager's job at the time so would appear a threat to Levein. It does make you wonder as to how much faith this board have in Levein when they seem so desperate to have a plan B in place from the start or would you put it down to clever contigency planning.

Last edited:
PFKAKTF FOX said:
a) He is a football man through and through, and he was interested in the Hearts vacancy so there is nothing to say he wouldnt be interested in coming to us, maybe we can use Linekers influence as they do go back a long way, and as a short term solution IMO would be ideal with a young assistant who can learn the ropes off him and it provides Robson with a challenge and the possibility of leaving some sort of legacy through his protege. It would solve the short term issue of a replacement if required, whilst also providing some long term continuity.

b) I do agree with you as regards point B, but I am not one of those posters who believe we need that type of manager, there is many differing way's of motivating and commanding respect, being a thrower of teacups isnt always the way.

c) As for point C, going to bed and hoping to wake upthe next morning sounds pretty good to me. TBH I think it would show we were ambitious and it would also have an impact on the calibre of Assistant we could attract, and I think it would be quite a radical move and allow an up coming manager to learn from one of the best around.
Pretty valid points, not that I totally agree with them, although I am coming from a different perspective, as I want CL to stay. Can't see him coming 'tho.

would anyone want kelly as manager? surely he is having influence on the team as it is, and this isnt working out.

lako42 said:
would anyone want kelly as manager? surely he is having influence on the team as it is, and this isnt working out.

Not necessarily, he is only the Assistant, he can suggest tweaks and tactics but in the end it is Levein who has the final say, a good example of this is Billy Davies at Preston, he was assistant to Craig Brown, and the club was struggling Brown went, and Davies tweaked a few things and the rest is history, on the other hand look at Brian Kidd, was Fergie's right hand man and yet when he went to Blackburn he made a right pigs ear of it, so I think it proves that an Assistant cannot be judged on the managers performance or tactics.

Also at work, you will not always agree with every decision your line manager makes, you may discuss alternatives and the final decision will always be their's but as you are paid by the company and it is your livelihood, on most occasions you have to accept their decison, move on to another company in protest or await them to fail and then sell your vision as a likely replacement.

is clive really from leicester. get keegan in

he definitely played for the tigers for years and for loughborough uni before that, though i dont know if he was actually born and bred around here

webmaster said:
He's from Cambridgeshire.
Ely to be precise webbo. born 6th January 1956.He was educated at HMS Conway Naval College and at Loughborough University.

hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570