Thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Gwilliam

I have for some time been sending American friends a Thanksgiving message called Thank You America. More recently I sent another which was not specifically American. When I offered to send this to people who were interested as private messages it was suggested that I post it here. So I will post the Thank You America one first and then do a second post with the more general message. Apologies for the prejudices shown and for how long it is. The message was, of course, originally intended for American readers.

THANK YOU AMERICA

Thank you America
For Sonny Liston, Mohammed Ali, Jack Dempsey, Rocky Marciano and so many more great fighters but not for Mike Tyson
For Elvis
For Gene Vincent, Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis
For Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennet and Buddy Greco
For all those country singers in small American towns who have no real talent but are really enjoyable - America is truly the land of song
For writers like Janet Evanovich, Raymond Chandler and Ray Bradbury
For Bob Hope, Jack Benny and Groucho Marx who made the world laugh
For private eyes like Sam Spade, Jim Rockford and above all Philip Marlowe
For bounty hunters - now that takes real guts
For Jack Daniels and Jim Bean
For Philly Steaks and Subway sandwiches but not the weak American coffee
For American magicians who make British ones look amateurish
For those wonderful cookies - the best biscuits in the world
For John Wayne, James Stewart and Clint Eastwood but not those cissy De Caprio types
For Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy and Gabby Hayes who were so important to boys growing up in the 1950s
For the songs by Frankie Laine that went with the westerns
For Maureen O'Hara, Jane Russell and Rhonda Fleming
For neoclassical buildings like the Capitol and the Lincoln Memorial but not those bloody skyscrapers
For the Arlington war memorials which are far more impressive than the ones in Europe
For Generals Pershing, Eisenhower and Bradley but not General Patton
For Republicans like Ronald Reagan, Calvin Coolidge and Henry Kissinger
For Democrats like Franklin Roosevelt, Harry Truman and Robert Kennedy
For Jackie Kennedy who should have been royal and Grace Kelly who became royal
For Jed Bartlett (West Wing) and Professor Kingsfield (Paper Chase)
For the people who hung the paintings at the Smithsonian; the Louvre could learn a lot from them
For the Museum of American History which was a model of how a museum should be.
For biscuits in gravy which sound so dull but taste delicious.
For truckers breakfasts and Country Buffets
For Vegas showgirls – we need some in Aylestone Village
For America's astronauts and everyone at NASA - History will admire you when todays celebrities are long forgotten.
For small towns in places like South Dakota and Wyoming
For Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons and Zion National Park
Above all for the Grand Canyon.
For whoever invented the idea of National Parks - a truly great idea
For coyotes and chipmunks
For all those who have saved the buffalo
For all those trying to save the wolf

For those Americans who came to Britain in World War Two - some never went home again
To those Americans who have visited Britain and fallen in love with our monarchy, cathedrals and castles
To all those American friends who have shared my love of history and architecture on our European tours
To all those waitresses, taxi drivers, hotel workers and casual strangers who made an Englishman so welcome on my trips to America.

This was originally an e-mail to people I knew rather than a post on the forum

I have always thought that the American festival of Thanksgiving was a wonderfully life-affirming idea. For years I have been sending American friends a "Thank You America" letter. I realised this year that there were only two Americans I have not sent it to and it was time to try again

I see Thanksgiving as a chance to thank the unsung people. Such a letter also has the advantage that it can be sent not only to Americans but friends anywhere.

Cheers to the walkers. People who walk dogs are themselves a cheerful breed. Then there are the people who take the children from the computer screen and into nature to feed ducks and look for frogs and Learn to fish; they are especially to be praised. One of the most wonderful sights is a bird in flight I envy those who can instantly tell which bird it is or one tree or flower from another and are happy to share their knowledge. A love of the countryside brings wisdom and a generosity of spirit .

Cheers to the amateur historians. The people delving into their family history; the rail and canal enthusiasts; the people studying their own town and village. Their enthusiasm often puts professionals to shame. "Amateur" is too often used as an insult but it comes from the Latin "amatorum" to love; these people do it for sheer love of the subject.

Cheers to everyone who has ever passed on their enthusiasm for history, science, literature to the young. Well done to anyone who has ever taken children to museums. Thank you for those real experts - Niall Ferguson, Carl Sagan, John Romer etc - who use television to explain complicated subjects to ordinary people without gimmicks, re-enactments and talking down.

Thank you to old soldiers. I love hearing from people who were actually involved in events I have only read about. The death in Iraq of the son of a friend and neighbour has brought home the sacrifice so many soldiers made in the wars of our time and let us not forget the old wars in which past generations defended liberty against Napoleon and the Kaiser. Americans have a good bumper sticker: "If you can read this thank a teacher; if it is in English thank a soldier."

Thanks to the people with accents. Was there ever as warm and friendly an accent as the Geordie. I only have to hear an Australian accents remind me of nights spent laughing and drinking. The museums cafes of London seem always to be staffed by young women with East European accents that remind me of Hammer movies and
Transylvania. The Scottish accent is redolent of History – it reminds me o0f stories of Bonnie Prince Charlie and the Great Montrose. Above all there is Italy. There is no music on earth to compare with a young woman with an Italian accent.

Thank you to the men who created whiskies. Whether they be Jack Daniels or Jim Bean in America or Mr Whyte and Mr Mackay in Scotland what good company they must have been

Cheers to those members of "the old guard" at work who have helped and been patient with young people and passed on their experience. The debt can never be repaid; the obligation is to do the same when you are old and experienced.

Thank you for the people who do underpaid and so-called "menial" jobs and yet are always helpful and cheerful. Thank you for waitresses who smile. Thank you for cheerful bus drivers. Thank you for helpful shop assistants. Thank you to librarians who seem to take infinite trouble to get hold of quite obscure and out of print books. Thank you for the women at the Coop checkout who call me "darling" "my love" or best of all "miduck".

Thank you to everyone who has sent me funny, strange and wonderfully inconsequential e-mails. The first thing I do each morning is to check my e-mails and the more the better.

Of course nothing I might write about the unsung heroes compares with one of my favourite quotations:from George Eliot
"...that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs."

It's an American thing, like a harvest festival, but much bigger (like xmas) and at the wrong time of the year.

Have you never watched any American TV/films?
No, I don't really care about America, they go too over the top on everything.

You can **** George Eliot and all other covvers.

If there had been no George Eliot, Nuneaton's hospital could be named after Larry Grayson instead :)
I can't think of any other famous people from there, unless Matty Fryatt counts as famous.

Larry Grayson was born in Oxfordshire - Banbury, I think.

Mary Whitehouse was born in Nuneaton. Whitehouse Hospital sounds OK to me.

Thank you America, for all the illegal wars that you've conducted, for all the countries that you've destabilised, for all the economies that you've destroyed, for all the nations you've invaded, for all of the innocent men, women, children and babies that you've brutally murdered.
Thank you. God bless America.

America - Thanks for Seinfeld.

Truly the greatest comedy of my time.

Oh :icon_eek: That's supposed to be a comedy?!?!?
Imagine how stupid I feel, I hadn't realised that at all.

What is thanksgiving?
Thanksgiving is where they celebrate the memory of the settlers first harvest. They shared it with the local native americans as a way of thanking them for their help.

Then they stole their country, destroyed their race through disease, alcoholism and widespread slaughter, desecrated their sacred burial grounds and allowed them to semi-exist in pockets of barren desert.
Nice one chaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670