Speculation The annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded Summer 2012 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see who people think we should replace him with, just for a bit of fun like.

IF Beckford is leaving - after an impressive run of scoring since January, without a replacement who will score, at least, a similar 15 goals: then it smacks of little club syndrome. No, big salaries, no big players; a nice little Championship team.

Why should we spend beyond our means? If our finances allow us to spend to a certain level and our success is determined by good management of that budget, then that is where we should be at. Newcastle slashed their wages, sold 'big' names and brought in players who were cheaper and less well known and look where they ended up last season. This was done through good management, not spending large amounts for the sake of it and buying in 'star' players.

Whilst it would be great to think City could challenge at the top end of the game with Man Utd etc, the cold hard reality of the world is that we are 'traditionally' a side who has yo-yo'd between the top two divisions and occasionally done slightly better than that and occasionally slightly worse. Get over it and accept what we are. Spending beyond our means will only put our long term future in doubt and, whilst I accept people may say "it's not your money why do you worry how much we spend?", there are probably Portsmouth fans who were saying the same thing 3 or 4 years ago and look where they are now. Sorry for ranting, but it annoys me when fans expect clubs to spend money they don't have.

Last edited:
Why should we spend beyond our means? If our finances allow us to spend to a certain level and our success is determined by good management of that budget, then that is where we should be at. Newcastle slashed their wages, sold 'big' names and brought in players who were cheaper and less well known and look where they ended up last season. This was done through good management, not spending large amounts for the sake of it and buying in 'star' players.

Whilst it would be great to think City could challenge at the top end of the game with Man Utd etc, the cold hard reality of the world is that we are 'traditionally' a side who has yo-yo'd between the top two divisions and occasionally done slightly better than that and occasionally slightly worse. Get over it and accept what we are. Spending beyond our means will only put our long term future in doubt and, whilst I accept people may say "it's not your money why do you worry how much we spend?", there are probably Portsmouth fans who were saying the same thing 3 or 4 years ago and look where they are now. Sorry for ranting, but it annoys me when fans expect clubs to spend money they don't have.

What puzzles me, is that we are spending a lot of money to achieve our current position. We must be one of the biggest spenders, to date, outside the Premier League. In my opinion, we are spreading that spending too thinly. We are adding numbers, not the odd quality player: yes, before somebody says it, I do not know what some of our recruits will achieve (the French winger, for example, might be excellent, for all I know) but, I will be very surprised if, overall, we are any better than last season.

What puzzles me, is that we are spending a lot of money to achieve our current position. We must be one of the biggest spenders, to date, outside the Premier League. In my opinion, we are spreading that spending too thinly. We are adding numbers, not the odd quality player: yes, before somebody says it, I do not know what some of our recruits will achieve (the French winger, for example, might be excellent, for all I know) but, I will be very surprised if, overall, we are any better than last season.

So you don't think we will be spending less money this season than we did last season?

Not sure I agree with this.... pretty sure our squad is going to be a fair bit smaller this year than last year, so would say the ones we're adding are needed.

While I don't necessarily know about the players themselves, I think all the signings we've made so far address positions that needed it. I'm happy with our summer signings on that basis.

I really don't think we should get rid of Beckford.

The only positions I think we still need are a centre back (who could perhaps cover right back - depends on NP's faith in more) and maybe still that creative attacking midfielder, in the Koren mould.

Big names
Sustainable management of clubs finances
Relative success

Pick two, you can't have all 3.

Big names
Sustainable management of clubs finances
Relative success

Pick two, you can't have all 3.

The point is that I cannot see that we are going to have two of them.

Big names - no, but as has been said, that's not necessary

Sustainable management - I don't think so. Players that were on a high salary and who have left will have, almost certainly demanded a pay off, a raft of signings will have costs - in addition to transfer fees. I think that we are spending the owners' money heavily.

Relative success - what is that? We do not know how we'll fare this season so, I cannot argue against it.

Well put Pork Pie.The same point could be made on 20-25 medium size club"s forums.You are not top 8 Prem and neither are the rest of us.
FFP willl sort out alot of delusional ranting.

Well put Pork Pie.The same point could be made on 20-25 medium size club"s forums.You are not top 8 Prem and neither are the rest of us.
FFP willl sort out alot of delusional ranting.

I don't agree on the FFP, I think clubs will just find loopholes. It isn't in The Premier League and football league's interest for clubs to stop spending big. Without the best players, and therefore the high salaries, they would lose too much advertising revenue.

I don't agree on the FFP, I think clubs will just find loopholes. It isn't in The Premier League and football league's interest for clubs to stop spending big. Without the best players, and therefore the high salaries, they would lose too much advertising revenue.

I do really like being able to agree with you chaps and, the healthy cynicism of this post, seems spot on!

i think Marshall may play in the central creative midfield position, its a physical midfield presence i feel we lack, Danns Drinkwater, James will get bullied against physical teams

i think Marshall may play in the central creative midfield position, its a physical midfield presence i feel we lack, Danns Drinkwater, James will get bullied against physical teams

What are you basing your Matty James theory on?

There have been discussions within the PL to bring in FFP; I'd be surprised if it's not brought in this year at some level.

Sustainable management - I don't think so. Players that were on a high salary and who have left will have, almost certainly demanded a pay off, a raft of signings will have costs - in addition to transfer fees.

Almost certainly they didn't. I'd be very surprised if any of them were given a pay-off.

The thing is, I don't necessarily dispute the right of an individual (or group) to spend their own money, over and above that generated by the club, if they so wish. I do, however, disagree with the ability of a club's owner to spend this money via a loan against the club. In my opinion (and yes I am trying my best to simplify how I could see this situation working) somebody who chooses to invest their own money in this way should have to do so in a ring-fenced cash injected manor. In other words, if I chose to inject my own money into the club, in order that the club could spend beyond it's means, I would have to put the cash in to cover the shortfall and would not be able to do this in the form of a loan.

Please note, I may have explained this badly but I know what I mean (i.e. I've been drinking so it may not make sense to you, but it does to me :icon_bigg)

The thing is, I don't necessarily dispute the right of an individual (or group) to spend their own money, over and above that generated by the club, if they so wish. I do, however, disagree with the ability of a club's owner to spend this money via a loan against the club. In my opinion (and yes I am trying my best to simplify how I could see this situation working) somebody who chooses to invest their own money in this way should have to do so in a ring-fenced cash injected manor. In other words, if I chose to inject my own money into the club, in order that the club could spend beyond it's means, I would have to put the cash in to cover the shortfall and would not be able to do this in the form of a loan.

Please note, I may have explained this badly but I know what I mean (i.e. I've been drinking so it may not make sense to you, but it does to me :icon_bigg)

I have also been drinking and this all makes perfect sense to me.

This is about footballers paying for prostitutes, right?

I have also been drinking and this all makes perfect sense to me.

This is about footballers paying for prostitutes, right?

Absofeckinlutely. For a moment I worried that I was talking gibberish, but clearly I'm not :icon_bigg

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69
9Nottm F69