The end of Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

From the BBC. :102: :102:

Dell gives the go ahead for Linux

Large firms like Oracle use open source Linux software
Computer giant Dell will start to sell PCs preinstalled with open source Linux operating systems, the firm has said.

No mention of which flavour they'll be offering.

I'm surprised you haven't done one of your bizarre Kubuntu outbursts Steven.

:icon_wink

If people actually start using it on a widescale it can only be a good thing and I guess the vendors will start taking it more seriously. Doubt Uncle Bill will be too happy with Dell though

If Red Hat was better supported by 3rd party software vendors Id be using it now.

that kind of goes against the 'free spirit' of linux, so i can understand 3rd party reluctance. if this proves popular though i expect people to capitalise on it.

another problem is all the pakages and modules vary from computer to computer, there isn't really a stable linux system to develop easily for, unlike windows which installs scores of apis services and processes whether you need them or not.

It will never take of in a huge way. Too many businesses have too much invested in Windows and Office to ever move across, and too many tech support people are long in the tooth to offer this as an alternative.

I like Linux, but I don't use it as I find it difficult to do the stuff I need to on it.

Plus can you imagine the average home user, your mum or dad for instance, trying to learn something they don't use elsewhere?! Mine has only just got the hang of the mouse!

It will never take of in a huge way. Too many businesses have too much invested in Windows and Office to ever move across, and too many tech support people are long in the tooth to offer this as an alternative.

I like Linux, but I don't use it as I find it difficult to do the stuff I need to on it.

Totally disagree, its already taking off in a huge way. I dont think it will ever eclipse Windows in the home market but trust me in the business world Microsoft are shitting themselves.

Looks like Dell are going with Ubuntu.

Story here

To be honest, I'm surprised with this.
I'd guess they will most likely use a 'Dell' version of Ubuntu that will have codecs & the like preinstalled otherwise I can't see this being too successful.

Last edited:
Looks like Dell are going with Ubuntu.

Story here

To be honest, I'm surprised with this.
I'd guess they will most likely use a 'Dell' version of Ubuntu that will have codecs & the like preinstalled otherwise I can't see this being too successful.

I don't think it will be very successful anyway personally.

Are you ignoring Kubuntu? :icon_wink :icon_lol:

Are you ignoring Kubuntu? :icon_wink :icon_lol:

:icon_bigg
Yes deliberately, I'm trying to bully Steven into one of his Kubuntu outbursts, me being the big bully that I am.

Last edited:
I've been using Linux Mint for the past few weeks, it's an Irish deviation from (K)Ubuntu, and have been really impressed with it.

If I can sort out getting WPA to work on my laptop it will be my main OS at home.
Using the laptop wirelessly is the only reason I'm booting into Windows at all when I'm at home now.

i don't think windows will ever die-too many people are used to it and almost instituionalised all will just stick with it

You're right Windows won't die but more & more people are waking up to the fact that there alternatives available that are at least as good, if not better, and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363