The end of Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends what you use your PC for really, if you use lots of programmes/games etc its not worth it. If you dont I would still say its not worth it because you presuambly have a license to run windows, if you didnt it would be worthwhile.
I'm bored of Windows and fancied something new, nothing more, nothing less.

If cost is the only benefit to Ubuntu, then I won't bother installing it.

I'm bored of Windows and fancied something new, nothing more, nothing less.

If cost is the only benefit to Ubuntu, then I won't bother installing it.

Some people think it's cool to hate windows and everything about it. Probably because Microsoft are so big and powerful.

Pound for pound XP and Vist are far superior IMO. However some people just dont like Windows interface etc.

Some people think it's cool to hate windows and everything about it. Probably because Microsoft are so big and powerful.

Pound for pound XP and Vist are far superior IMO. However some people just dont like Windows interface etc.
Nope, nothing as complex, just bored.

Personally I think you would be mad to install it, certainly as your only OS. I would advise installing it on a seperate partition if you just want to play with it.
I set another partition a couple of days ago ready for it. Wouldn't dream of getting rid of Windows.

You don't need to install it to try it out, just run it from the CD.
If you do decide to install, take care if you've already created a partition as it won't automatically install itself onto that partition & will try to create its own so you could end up with 3 patitions, 2 of them small.

My only problem with (K)Ubuntu is it's made by a crowd of hippys who refuse to include anything proprietary which means no multimedia codecs by default.
A much better option IMO is LinuxMint which started as a deviation from Ubuntu but with everything working straight out of the box, Ubuntu on steroids.

I only use Mint on my home PCs, wouldn't go back to Windows, not because of any Microsoft hating madness, it's just better IMO. Windows apps aren't a problem either I have several of them, that don't have a Linux version, running quite happily.
I use Vista, XP & Mint on a daily basis & MInt wins everytime.

OK, cheers Macky.

That leads me to another question, apart from Windows, which is the best operating system to use on a pc.

I only d/loaded Ubuntu because it was the first Linux based system I came across whilst searching.

You don't need to install it to try it out, just run it from the CD.
If you do decide to install, take care if you've already created a partition as it won't automatically install itself onto that partition & will try to create its own so you could end up with 3 patitions, 2 of them small.

My only problem with (K)Ubuntu is it's made by a crowd of hippys who refuse to include anything proprietary which means no multimedia codecs by default.
A much better option IMO is LinuxMint which started as a deviation from Ubuntu but with everything working straight out of the box, Ubuntu on steroids.

I only use Mint on my home PCs, wouldn't go back to Windows, not because of any Microsoft hating madness, it's just better IMO. Windows apps aren't a problem either I have several of them, that don't have a Linux version, running quite happily.
I use Vista, XP & Mint on a daily basis & MInt wins everytime.

Stevens gonna go nuts :icon_lol:

OK, cheers Macky.

That leads me to another question, apart from Windows, which is the best operating system to use on a pc.

I only d/loaded Ubuntu because it was the first Linux based system I came across whilst searching.

Have a look here, I'm using the KDE version of "Cassandra"

Ubuntu 7.1 3D effects, pisses all over Vista

[youtube]bvnQE1EAEZY[/youtube]

Im downloading Mint Celena, will put it on a machine at work and see what its like! :)

Good man, it looks superb, haven't tried it yet I'm waiting for the KDE version of Celena which is usually a couple of months behind the main Gnome version but I prefer the KDE desktop.

Good man, it looks superb, haven't tried it yet I'm waiting for the KDE version of Celena which is usually a couple of months behind the main Gnome version but I prefer the KDE desktop.

What are the main differences?

What are the main differences?

The layout & the default apps mainly, they are two different desktop managers/environments, each with their own way for you to configure how you like things.

But I'm just after reading on the site that they're not releasing a KDE version of Celena now, next KDE version will be for Mint 4.0 named 'Daryna'. :icon_sad:

I could still upgrade to Celena & then install KDE desktop myself I suppose.

Im downloading Mint Celena, will put it on a machine at work and see what its like! :)

Downloaded it myself now as well, gonna have a play with it tomorrow.

If anybody else is thinking of downloading it the torrent is running fairly fast 500+ kB/s.

Currently downloading Ubuntu to try as a dual boot option. No reason other than I like to try something new

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363