The end of Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Linux Mint for the past few weeks, it's an Irish deviation from (K)Ubuntu, and have been really impressed with it.

If I can sort out getting WPA to work on my laptop it will be my main OS at home.
Using the laptop wirelessly is the only reason I'm booting into Windows at all when I'm at home now.
Sabayon :icon_cool

My wireless worked straight from the install - and it picked up my graphics card too. I am delighted with it, the best distro I've run to date.

Running from disk, Gutsy Gibbon did the same - but I had so much grief trying to get the screen resolution decent in 7.04 I'm going to give it a skip...although I may dual boot it as I like the installer package. I'm having grief installing/running Eclipse on Sabayon.

I guess Gibbon's 3D handling is up to Sabayon's? It's the bollocks, pissing all over Vista.

Some people think it's cool to hate windows and everything about it. Probably because Microsoft are so big and powerful.

Pound for pound XP and Vist are far superior IMO. However some people just dont like Windows interface etc.
S'right.

Being into Linux is all about being cool, looking good and pulling chicks.

And laughing at anyone who says XP and Vista are superior to anything...:icon_lol:

Sabayon :icon_cool

My wireless worked straight from the install - and it picked up my graphics card too. I am delighted with it, the best distro I've run to date.

Running from disk, Gutsy Gibbon did the same - but I had so much grief trying to get the screen resolution decent in 7.04 I'm going to give it a skip...although I may dual boot it as I like the installer package. I'm having grief installing/running Eclipse on Sabayon.

I guess Gibbon's 3D handling is up to Sabayon's? It's the bollocks, pissing all over Vista.

The post you quoted was from a few months ago, wireless worked no bother but I was struggling to get WPA enabled with Mint 2.2. Wireless woes all sorted with Mint v 3.0 though.

I had a look at Sabayon about 6 months ago, was quite impressive but I do prefer Minty goodness.

Does Sabayon use Compiz/Beryl for 3D? Vista doesn't even do 3D.

Every piece of software I own is Windows based, some of it is quite expensive like Peachtree Accounting and Photoshop. I also use Excel and Outlook all the time. Isn't very expensive to swap operating systems?

Every piece of software I own is Windows based, some of it is quite expensive like Peachtree Accounting and Photoshop. I also use Excel and Outlook all the time. Isn't very expensive to swap operating systems?
Expensive? Smudgey - it's free.

Open Office is free, GIMP (photo/image editing software) is free...although I haven't got a clue about accounting packages.

Download a disto, burn it to CD and then reboot to run it from CD to see if you like it. It can be installed on a dual boot basis so that you don't have to say toodlepip to Windows.

Expensive? Smudgey - it's free.

Open Office is free, GIMP (photo/image editing software) is free...although I haven't got a clue about accounting packages.

Download a disto, burn it to CD and then reboot to run it from CD to see if you like it. It can be installed on a dual boot basis so that you don't have to say toodlepip to Windows.
Right then Bobules I shall gi hit a goo.

Right then Bobules I shall gi hit a goo.
I'm thinking that Sabayon is best. HERE

Some would argue that a version of Ubuntu rocks, but they are deluded. HERE

Mint succeeded in not identifying my monitor although installing packages was a doddle...but then my computer locked for no reason with a blank screen. HERE

I'm so lovely :thumbs_up

I'm thinking that Sabayon is best. HERE

Some would argue that a version of Ubuntu rocks, but they are deluded. HERE

Mint succeeded in not identifying my monitor although installing packages was a doddle...but then my computer locked for no reason with a blank screen. HERE

I'm so lovely :thumbs_up
And thin(ner)

The post you quoted was from a few months ago, wireless worked no bother but I was struggling to get WPA enabled with Mint 2.2. Wireless woes all sorted with Mint v 3.0 though.

I had a look at Sabayon about 6 months ago, was quite impressive but I do prefer Minty goodness.

Does Sabayon use Compiz/Beryl for 3D? Vista doesn't even do 3D.
Everytime i go to change my screen resolution, 3D effects or any other screen related feature I simply get a wall of white and am forced to hit the kill button.

Can't say I'm big on Mint at the moment at all.

Everytime i go to change my screen resolution, 3D effects or any other screen related feature I simply get a wall of white and am forced to hit the kill button.

Can't say I'm big on Mint at the moment at all.

Yeah, that's the kind of thing that would put you off alright.
Which graphics card do you have?

Running no bother for me with an ATI Radeon & on a laptop.

Yeah, that's the kind of thing that would put you off alright.
Which graphics card do you have?

Running no bother for me with an ATI Radeon & on a laptop.
nVidia Geoforce 7800GTX

Runs perfectly on Sabayon - and on the new Ubuntu but not the old 7.04 which the current Mint is based on (I think).

Maybe the bother will have been removed with the next release.

Do any of these flavours of Linux come with a built in fax program - or is there one available?

There used to be a fax program as part of Windows but it's not in the home versions of Vista. :mad:
I don't want to pay for one as I only need it once every few months.

Or does anyone know of a decent free fax program that works with Vista?
I don't want one that's tied to a particular fax service or time limited shareware, just something that will allow me to plug the PC into the phone line and send a fax.

Do any of these flavours of Linux come with a built in fax program - or is there one available?

There used to be a fax program as part of Windows but it's not in the home versions of Vista. :mad:

I don't want one that's tied to a particular fax service or time limited shareware, just something that will allow me to plug the PC into the phone line and send a fax.
Can you not get hold of a copy of WinFax Pro?

I've been using Linux Mint for the past few weeks, it's an Irish deviation from (K)Ubuntu, and have been really impressed with it.

If I can sort out getting WPA to work on my laptop it will be my main OS at home.
Using the laptop wirelessly is the only reason I'm booting into Windows at all when I'm at home now.

I am posting this whilst running Mint. ;)

nVidia Geoforce 7800GTX

Runs perfectly on Sabayon - and on the new Ubuntu but not the old 7.04 which the current Mint is based on (I think).

Maybe the bother will have been removed with the next release.

Yup, that'd be it then, Mint v 4 will be Gutsy based.

I've seen problems with some nVidia cards being discussed on the forums. Not insurmountable problems but why should you bother?

Not installed by default, not in Mint anyway, but it would only take a couple of minutes to install through the package manager.

I don't know of any open source or free fax apps that will run under Vista, an insane decision by Microsoft not to include the Fax & scan program for home users or to even make it available as an extra download.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363