The end of Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whereas DVD's dont perform the same function as VHS tapes?

I don't think you can compare two different technologies. We have a PET in our museum at school and it is, by defenition, a computer, won't run Windows, or Linux though.

I don't think you can compare two different technologies. We have a PET in our museum at school and it is, by defenition, a computer, won't run Windows, or Linux though.

i bet someone, somewhere has got one running linux.

coincidently. there are dvd players that run on linux. even toasters aren't safe

Last edited:
i bet someone, somewhere has got one running linux.

coincidently. there are dvd players that run on linux. even toasters aren't safe

TomTom is apparantly based on Linux, my work colleague has installed the linux movie player, whatever it's called, and is using it to play movies when he gets to his destination.

Also for those who know what it is, apparantly you can run ScummVM on it

they do but they also do much more and can''t be played on a video player-maybe i'm being stupid but im sure it would be possible to put this operating system on any new computer?

Much like you can plug a DVD player in to any new TV?

You were saying that Windows was too popular to die and be replaced by something else. I was just pointing out that VHs was in every home but most of those homes will now have a DVD player. Times change. For the record I dont think Windows is likely to be overtaken in the home market anytime soon, however on corporate networks Microsoft products are in decline and use of Linux based O/S's is growing rapidly.

TomTom is apparantly based on Linux, my work colleague has installed the linux movie player, whatever it's called, and is using it to play movies when he gets to his destination.

cool. Maniac Mansion on a Tom Tom.

Microsoft's X-Box is powered by Linux, even they wouldn't trust shitty Windows.

Microsoft's X-Box is powered by Linux, even they wouldn't trust shitty Windows.

But could Windows do what is asked of an Xbox 360? Why have they chosen to base it on Linux?

Would you want to reboot your Xbox every 15 minutes?

No, but I do not like it crashing quite often! Freezing, disc unreadable etc.

Why would it have to reboot every 15 mins then?

No, but I do not like it crashing quite often! Freezing, disc unreadable etc.

Why would it have to reboot every 15 mins then?

It was a joke, the real reason is because the controller doesnt have the Ctrl, Alt and Delete keys.

It was a joke, the real reason is because the controller doesnt have the Ctrl, Alt and Delete keys.

Oh yes of course.

Maybe they could provide an OS update when the keyboard attachment for the controller comes out - then we could press Ctrl + Alt + Del and therefore be able to have Windows on it!

Oh yes of course.

Maybe they could provide an OS update when the keyboard attachment for the controller comes out - then we could press Ctrl + Alt + Del and therefore be able to have Windows on it!

eh???
How does pressing ctrl+alt+del mean it will be able to have Windows on it?

Currently d/loading the latest version of Ubuntu (7.10).

Anybody got it yet, is it worth changing from Windows?

Currently d/loading the latest version of Ubuntu (7.10).

Anybody got it yet, is it worth changing from Windows?

I tried to do that last night but it crapped out on me at the very end. :icon_sad: :icon_conf

Depends what you use your PC for really, if you use lots of programmes/games etc its not worth it. If you dont I would still say its not worth it because you presuambly have a license to run windows, if you didnt it would be worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669