The Foreign Football Thread 2010/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the last 10 mins of Roma v Lazio last night on ESPN. Very odd, the players seemed like they would rather scrap than play. Lazio defender walked right up to Simplicio (?) and headbutted him in front of the linesman, because he and Totti were time wasting. There wers scuffles and strong tackles all over the place and the referee looked scared. Is all Italian football that aggressive, or is it just the derbies (or just the last 10 minutes)?

Didn't watch the game, but Italian football is no more aggressive than English football. Lazio are traditionally the aggressors of Italian football though, a bit like Wimbledon were in English football I guess.

Last edited:
Barca looking a shadow of themselves again today. If they continue like this they'll blow could blow the league and the Champions League.

Madrid derby on now.

Last edited:
Just watched the re-run of Dortmund vs Mainz on ESPN.

Exciting game. Hard not to like this Mainz side (well except for Wetklo), regardless of how the game ended.

Last edited:
Milan lost to Palermo, meaning Inter can close the gap to two points if they beat Lecce

And Madrid beat Atletico AGAIN. Benzema starting to live up to his potential too.

Klopp is being linked with the Bayern job after van Gaal leaves in the summer.

Would be ridiculous for him to leave though, given what he's building at Dortmund.

Last edited:
Sevilla winning away at Valencia means that with the 1-0 win by Villareal over 6th place Bilbao, Villareal push up to third

Also Inter won 1-0 against Lecce so only 2 points behind AC now !! :icon_conf

Norwegian league kicked off this weekend. Anyone interested?

Anyone??

Oh well, here I go anyway:

Brann beat Rosenborg 2-1 :041::041::041: Rosenborgs first away loss in the league since 2008!

Couple of other scores:
Stabek-Lillestrom 0-7 :icon_eek:
Sarpsborg-Molde 3-0 (Ole Gunnar Solskjaers debut as manager for Molde ending in humiliating loss against newly promoted and relegation tipped opponent)

Anyone read all this? :102:

Nah! Didn't think so

I heard that it was already a done deal with the Leverkusen manager?

Haven't heard anything myself. You may be right though.

As for the Norweigen league. The only person I am really aware of (other than OGS of course, who I didn't realise was playing there) is Nils-Arne Eggen who has won about 60,000 league titles with Rosenborg. I think he was manager for most of that incredible run when Rosenborg won the title something like 11 or 12 times in a row a few years back.

Last edited:
Oh, fair enough, didn't read it properly.

As for the Norweigen league. The only person I am really aware of (other than OGS of course, who I didn't realise was playing there) is Nils-Arne Eggen who has won about 60,000 league titles with Rosenborg. I think he was manager for most of that incredible run when Rosenborg won the title something like 11 or 12 times in a row a few years back.

OGS isn't playing, he's the manager of Molde. He came from the job as coach of the ManU ressies prior to this season and was received like the new Messiah. He brought with him Magnus Wolff Eikrem from ManU.

Eggen has retired as manager after a comeback last season when Erik Hamren left Rosenborg for Sweden. Rosenborg won the title 13 times in a row from 92-04. Terrible times....:bang:

A few players who has played in England:
  • Lars Hirschfeld, who played one game in goal for City a few seasons ago, plays for VIF.
  • Eirik Bakke (Leeds, Aston Villa), Sogndal.
  • Christian Kalvenes (played a couple of games for Burnley in the Prem), Brann :love:.
  • Erik Nevland (ManU), Viking.
  • Magnus Wolff Eikrem (ManU), Molde.
There might be a few more, but I can't remember atm.

OGS isn't playing, he's the manager of Molde. He came from the job as coach of the ManU ressies prior to this season and was received like the new Messiah. He brought with him Magnus Wolff Eikrem from ManU.

Eggen has retired as manager after a comeback last season when Erik Hamren left Rosenborg for Sweden. Rosenborg won the title 13 times in a row from 92-04. Terrible times....:bang:

A few players who has played in England:
  • Lars Hirschfeld, who played one game in goal for City a few seasons ago, plays for VIF.
  • Eirik Bakke (Leeds, Aston Villa), Sogndal.
  • Christian Kalvenes (played a couple of games for Burnley in the Prem), Brann :love:.
  • Erik Nevland (ManU), Viking.
  • Magnus Wolff Eikrem (ManU), Molde.
There might be a few more, but I can't remember atm.

Cheers. Always find it interesting learning about footy in other countries.

Remember Bakke playing for Leeds. Also is that the same Erik Nevland who played for Fulham a couple of seasons back? I don't remember him ever playing for ManUtd.

Regardless of how annoying that might have been if you hate Rosenborg, you have to admit it's one hell of an achievement. I wonder if any other team in Europe has ever beaten that record.

I'm guessing you support Brann then? What are your prospects for the season? Any up and coming players you think could do really well for you or make it higher up?

Would like to see OGS do well in management too, always had a soft spot for him as a player. ;)

Last edited:
Cheers. Always find it interesting learning about footy in other countries.

Remember Bakke playing for Leeds. Also is that the same Erik Nevland who played for Fulham a couple of seasons back? I don't remember him ever playing for ManUtd.

Regardless of how annoying that might have been if you hate Rosenborg, you have to admit it's one hell of an achievement. I wonder if any other team in Europe has ever beaten that record.

I'm guessing you support Brann then? What are your prospects for the season? Any up and coming players you think could do really well for you or make it higher up?

Would like to see OGS do well in management too, always had a soft spot for him as a player. ;)

Yes, it the same Erik Nevland. My short memory obviously isn't what it used to be.....:icon_redf He only played two games for ManU during his spell there in 1998-2000.

Prospects for the season? According to the "experts"; avoid relegation. Have lost/got rid of several old stars like Bakke to Sogndal, Solli to New York. Also sold Erik Huseklepp to Bari in the last window. And Petter Vaagan Moen went to QPR on a Bosman as well but struggles to push out Taarabt or Faurlin. Brann have struggled financially after winning the league in -07, after several poor signings and believing sky was the limit. So now we rely on youngsters coming through the ranks and success in the "bosman market".
Yesterdays start was fantastic though, and gives hope of a mid table finish (or even better if we start dreaming). Mind you, it is still 29 more games to be played.

Up and coming players? Maybe Fredrik Haugen, 18 year old midfielder with good skills and an eye for the goal. Or Hungarian centre back Zsolt Korscmar. Huseklepp went to Bari, not sure that was the right club for him. Would fit in in a better team than that, I think.

Rosenborg and VIF are the two big favorites with Molde and Viking as the outsiders. Sogndal and Sarpsborg are the hottest favorites for relegation.

And yes, Rosenborg were really impressive for ages. Not only in the league but also in the Champions League. Only problem with that was their success in CL generated money to widen the gap to the other teams in Norway

Sorry for testing your patience (if you read it all...) :icon_wink

Last edited:
Norwegian league kicked off this weekend. Anyone interested?

Anyone??

Oh well, here I go anyway:

Brann beat Rosenborg 2-1 :041::041::041: Rosenborgs first away loss in the league since 2008!

Couple of other scores:
Stabek-Lillestrom 0-7 :icon_eek:
Sarpsborg-Molde 3-0 (Ole Gunnar Solskjaers debut as manager for Molde ending in humiliating loss against newly promoted and relegation tipped opponent)

Anyone read all this? :102:

Nah! Didn't think so

Good Work :038:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675