The Foreign Football Thread 2010/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, with the Nigeria vs Argentina match fixing allegations as well it's not been a good week on that front.

Surprised Sahin's goal vs Wolfsburg didn't make the top 3, absolute quality.

Some cracking awards on there though. "Rolf Harris Shield for animal friendliness" :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Bojan in talks with Udinese.

Miroslav Klose has joined Lazio.

River Plate have been relegated from the first division in Argentina. They've won the league 33 times & now they are in the second division, sounds like a horrid decline...

Last edited:
River Plate have been relegated from the first division in Argentina. They've won the league 33 times & now they are in the second division, sounds like a horrid decline...

They must have gone bloody awful, their league is designed to prevent this happening. I think relegation is based over 3 years performances or something similar.

They must have gone bloody awful, their league is designed to prevent this happening. I think relegation is based over 3 years performances or something similar.

It's worse than that Beights. They basically play 2 league competitions during the equivalent time period of 1 season and then take an average over a 3 year period. So it's taking an average over 6 competitions and even after all that they have a 2 legged play off. River actually finished 9th out of 19 teams in the most recent championship:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables/_/league/arg.1/argentina?cc=5739

River then lost 2-0 in the 1st leg and then could only draw 1-1 today in the 2nd leg. It is absolutely done to avoid situations like this and so, as you say, it shows how much they have struggled in recent years.

95 injured in the stadium, most seriously are a number of police officers and a River tried to slit his wrists whilst in the stadium.****ing crazy. I'd love to go a game in Buenos Aires though.

They must have gone bloody awful, their league is designed to prevent this happening.

What a ****ed up farcical joke of a league. Almost as bad as what happens in Scotland and in Rugby Union.

What a ****ed up farcical joke of a league.

On the other hand, no it isn't.

Maybe a league structure based around inflationary wage spirals, idiotic ticket pricing, games being continuously shifted, the banning of standing and atmosphere and the guarantee of one of four teams winning the top prize every single ****ing season - maybe that's the ****ed up farcical joke of a league?

On the other hand, no it isn't.

Maybe a league structure based around inflationary wage spirals, idiotic ticket pricing, games being continuously shifted, the banning of standing and atmosphere and the guarantee of one of four teams winning the top prize every single ****ing season - maybe that's the ****ed up farcical joke of a league?

I think I see the point you are trying to make. However, I maintain my premise is still valid. The team that wins the most points over the season should be crowned champions and the teams that finish with least points should face the drop.

Any other method of deciding promotion or relegation isn't worthy IMO.

(I'm not considering the added issue of points deductions here of course!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669