Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded spring/summer 2019 rumours thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the media are suggesting it then we must be

Net spend is irrelevant. If we’d sold Maguire for £40 Million and had and had a plus net spend would it be a better transfer window?

It's about investing in the squad. The club's above and around us are almost all doing it but we're not.

I like the signings we've made if the point is another mid table season. We were a lot of points behind the top six last season and we've not done enough to close that gap. If anything, the gap could widen further.

We have an exceptionally talented team that needed quality reinforcements to make it an exceptionally talented squad.

As it stands, we'll be facing four or five of our players wanting out next summer instead of one. This is the season we had to push on. You cannot stand still in this league.

It's about investing in the squad. The club's above and around us are almost all doing it but we're not.

I like the signings we've made if the point is another mid table season. We were a lot of points behind the top six last season and we've not done enough to close that gap. If anything, the gap could widen further.

We have an exceptionally talented team that needed quality reinforcements to make it an exceptionally talented squad.

As it stands, we'll be facing four or five of our players wanting out next summer instead of one. This is the season we had to push on. You cannot stand still in this league.
It was bell endery to sell Maguire. He would have still been a saleable asset next summer if we didn’t press on as a team this year.

We have invested. To the tune of about £95m by the time Praet comes in. The fact that we made £80m from Maguire doesn't change this. I think the club spending nigh on £100m on players with their wages on top can certainly be considered an investment in our squad.

We've bought Tielemans (who was already here) and Perez, who has potential but is seriously unproven. We've sold our star defender, and in the process directly strengthened a rival where they were the most vulnerable , and then brought a load in a couple of back up players who won't make the first team. All the shite is still here

It's an incredibly unambitious window, and I'm not sure we've improved at all

We've bought Tielemans (who was already here) and Perez, who has potential but is seriously unproven. We've sold our star defender, and in the process directly strengthened a rival where they were the most vulnerable , and then brought a load in a couple of back up players who won't make the first team. All the shite is still here

Me neither. We are worse for losing Maguire.

I think you’re forgetting who was in charge for the majority of last season.

Let's all give up now and prepare for life in the Championship next year then.
I don’t think anyone is saying that. We can express a view that the team hasn’t actually gotten any stronger though if it is an honestly held belief.

Mind boggling that some are saying we've got weaker.

Losing Maguire and not replacing him would be a huge miss in my opinion, but with Perez, Tielemans and Praet our team definitely looks stronger.

And we didn't have a bad squad last year - just a bad manager.

I'd still like to see a winger but we're stronger overall and it's far from being a bad window.

Perez seriously unproven? Yeah I mean he only has 4 Premier League seasons under his belt, with a total of 33 goals whilst barely even playing as a striker.

It's been an okay window. Mostly I'm disappointed that we haven't brought in a quality wide player. It's an area we have been lacking in since Mahrez left. Tielemans counts as an addition as at the end of the day, it was only loan before and he'd be gone if we hadn't made it permanent... All the additions we've made have been good. But yeah, the concern is no wide player and letting Harry leave so late in the window may leave us with issues at the back - particularly if Evans gets injured or suspended. Was it really worth putting the death knell on our European hopes for £80m? It might have been a good price for him but we're now left hoping Soyuncu hits the ground running.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669