Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded summer 2020 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just sitting here with fingers crossed, hoping that no one comes in with a deadline day swoop for Matty James in a major transfer coup that shocks the world of football

Only a few hours to go...
He has spent the day in an ambulance station, desperate for a phone call.

I’m looking forward already to the winter transfer thread. Someone shut the window, there’s a draft.

So in summary....

IN
Castagne
Fofana
Under (Loan)

OUT
Chilwell
Diabate
Kaputska (Free)
Silva (Free)
Thomas (Free)
King (Free)
Ghezzal (Loan)
Knight (Loan)

We just need to shift Slimani, Gray and James (also possibly Choudhury).

I think we need to keep Slimani and Gray in the fold as we don't have enough numbers not to, unless we are prepared to sign a championship player who can't play in the Europa League for us (which is allowed i believe).
In my opinion we are still short a left back, we are still short a striker and we don't have anyone who can replace Ndidi.
Based on that i think we will be 10th to 6th this season as Ndidi is out until Christmas and if we have the same level of injuries we are currently experiencing it will be difficult to be super consistent.

Winger
Centre back
Winger
Striker
Backup centre back
Backup Centre mid

These are what I listed as our priorities back in July. That's before Chilwell left, so obviously a new left back went to the top of that list.

So we signed the top 3 priorities
Full back - Castagne
Winger - Under
Centre back - Fofana

And hopefully we've signed well for those positions. So far, it seems that we have. If we have, those 3 could make a big difference to us this season.

Beyond that, we know we wanted a striker in the summer, and Brendan was also keen on an extra centre mid.

I'm surprised we didn't bring in a striker, particularly since we've sent Hirst out on loan.

I still think an extra winger and back-up centre back would've been good to have as well. The winger probably more important than the defender, especially with Amartey stepping in well to a back 3 in the last couple of games.

I still worry about our attacking options with us only signing 1 winger and no striker. We're still light in attacking areas, and I think it means we have to keep Gray (he wouldn't go on loan to the Championship anyway).

I still think we'll be back in for a striker and/or winger in January.

I wouldn't want to name either Vardy or Evans in our Europa League squad. For the group stage only.

Both are vulnerable and are unlikely to survive two games a week for a couple of months.

I'd much rather have people like Benkovic and Gray in there. The group we've got is not a difficult one.

I wouldn't want to name either Vardy or Evans in our Europa League squad. For the group stage only.

Both are vulnerable and are unlikely to survive two games a week for a couple of months.

I'd much rather have people like Benkovic and Gray in there. The group we've got is not a difficult one.
...and they say that the French are arrogant.

I bet Vardy would be delighted to miss out on only his 2nd and potentially last European adventure.

You should volunteer to be the one that tells him.

Qualify for the Europa League and then leave out two of the best players to keep them fit for a league campaign from which the best we can realistically hope for with this squad is..... qualifying for the Europa League.

Just me then?

Okay, we'll see whether we think that their involvement was beneficial to their fitness/form or not. And whether their involvement makes the blindest bit of difference to our qualification.

I'm sure both players would react to being left out of the group stage in exactly the same way they do when rested for cup matches. They'd be happy for the rest.

I think we need to keep Slimani and Gray in the fold as we don't have enough numbers not to, unless we are prepared to sign a championship player who can't play in the Europa League for us (which is allowed i believe).
In my opinion we are still short a left back, we are still short a striker and we don't have anyone who can replace Ndidi.
Based on that i think we will be 10th to 6th this season as Ndidi is out until Christmas and if we have the same level of injuries we are currently experiencing it will be difficult to be super consistent.
No cover for Ndidi - Papy Mendy?

Just me then?

Okay, we'll see whether we think that their involvement was beneficial to their fitness/form or not. And whether their involvement makes the blindest bit of difference to our qualification.

I'm sure both players would react to being left out of the group stage in exactly the same way they do when rested for cup matches. They'd be happy for the rest.
Yes. I'm pretty sure they value their participation in a Carabao Cup match against Rochdale just as much as their being a part of a European Tournament match.....

Leaving them out would be madder than a new contract for James.

I don't want them to play, but leaving them out of the squad altogether would be mad, and I'm not sure what it achieves.

Travelling with the rest of the squad and sitting on the bench isn't going to make them more vulnerable.

While we can be confident for the group stage, we shouldn't be complacent. So while I hope we don't use them in the Europa League, not having them available should we need them (either through injuries or chasing a crucial result) would be insane, send the wrong message to everyone involved, and could derail our season

Europa League should be 2nd priority for us after the league this season, so if we went out in the group stage while 2 of our best players were sat twiddling their thumbs at home would be embarrassing - and not a good career move for Brendan.

Yes. I'm pretty sure they value their participation in a Carabao Cup match against Rochdale just as much as their being a part of a European Tournament match.....

Leaving them out would be madder than a new contract for James.
Speaking of, isn’t it about time he got another 4-year extension?

Surely for the Europa we should be our strongest team out, get the points ASAP and then give the others a chance.

Not playing Vardy would be lunacy.

Surely for the Europa we should be our strongest team out, get the points ASAP and then give the others a chance.

Not playing Vardy would be lunacy.
Winning the Europa League may well be our best chance of being in next year's Champions League.
Or doesn't that happen any more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469