Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded summer 2021 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tottenham, Leicester and Wolves are interested in signing PSV Eindhoven's 19-year-old English winger Noni Madueke. (Sky Sports)
I think there's been a thread in the other place on this guy for a while. Alan Nixon (the Sun) reported last week at it depends what happens with PSV's European qualifiers, which I think conclude next week. His thinking was it'll be close to the deadline, if this happens.

Interestingly, he also stated that we have money to spend. Which seems counter to the general opinion, but who knows.

Nixon knows as much as anyone about us these days. Certainly since Percy stopped getting his information.

I remain convinced that we're going to sign a couple more. The problem we have is getting players out because we can't name them all in our squads as it is.

The merc claims that Domenico Berardi has asked to leave Sassuolo. Madueke would seem to fit our established transfer strategy more, but wouldn't it be great to add someone with some experience and who would ideally need much less time to settle in?

Nixon knows as much as anyone about us these days. Certainly since Percy stopped getting his information.

I remain convinced that we're going to sign a couple more. The problem we have is getting players out because we can't name them all in our squads as it is.
I'd be very surprised if we signed two more players but if we do, what a great statement from the club. What is the ideal scenario then? Sign an attacking wide player and a defender and sell Choudhury and Benkovic?

The merc claims that Domenico Berardi has asked to leave Sassuolo. Madueke would seem to fit our established transfer strategy more, but wouldn't it be great to add someone with some experience and who would ideally need much less time to settle in?
Get both in and send Perez back to Rafa.

Both would make good additions but I'd prefer Madueke. He's a young player with great potential who we can improve and let's face it, he's English so we'll be quids in when he takes the league by storm and the likes of Man City start throwing their money at us..

I'd be very surprised if we signed two more players but if we do, what a great statement from the club. What is the ideal scenario then? Sign an attacking wide player and a defender and sell Choudhury and Benkovic?

I'd be surprised if we manage to sell anyone. Buyers for our cast-offs are skint. Loans for the likes of Benkovic, Sowah, Choudhury and Praet seems most likely.

It's obvious we have to sign a right sided attacking player. Hopefully a good one that we've planned to sign but I'm increasingly concerned that it will be a last minute loan like the Under deal.

I still believe we'll sign Coutinho too. It looks to me like we're just playing chicken with Barca over the percentage of wages we'll pay for a year loan.

I'd be surprised if we manage to sell anyone. Buyers for our cast-offs are skint. Loans for the likes of Benkovic, Sowah, Choudhury and Praet seems most likely.

It's obvious we have to sign a right sided attacking player. Hopefully a good one that we've planned to sign but I'm increasingly concerned that it will be a last minute loan like the Under deal.

I still believe we'll sign Coutinho too. It looks to me like we're just playing chicken with Barca over the percentage of wages we'll pay for a year loan.
I know Rodgers worked with him in the past but have there actually been any links to Coutinho? Plus, I though he'd been given Messi's old squad number.

I know Rodgers worked with him in the past but have there actually been any links to Coutinho? Plus, I though he'd been given Messi's old squad number.

Smoke and mirrors.

1. Barca cannot afford for Coutinho to remain there this season.

2. The nearer to the end of August we get, the more desperate to offload they'll be. This means the proportion of his wages they'll have to agree to pay increases. We're in exactly the same boat with a few of our players.

3. BR and our head of recruitment both rate Coutinho as the best player they've ever worked with.

4. When asked last season, BR highlighted finances as the reason we couldn't get him. See point 2.

5. Coutinho hasn't any better options. A league he knows, a manager he knows. A club that could rejuvenate his value.

6. He's been out injured since December but has been training fully for a 6-8 weeks now, both with Barca and Brazil. He knows he needs to play. Another reason we will be leaving it late is to ensure his fitness is as good as it can be.

7. Our only other option in a similar role is Maddison. His fitness is a genuine concern and we'll expect him to be unavailable a lot.

8. It was confirmed that we made a real attempt to sign Eriksen on loan in January. Similar sort of player, similar sort of deal. That didn't fail due to wages, it failed due to an excessive loan fee. See point 2.

Coutinho and Madueke and we’d be title contenders. The only thing holding us back would be the Fofana injury.

A team of:

Kasper

Ricardo
Evans
Fofana
Justin

Tielemans
Ndidi

Barnes
Coutinho
Madueke

Vardy

with a bench including Soyuncu, Soumare, Daka, Castagne, Vestergaard, Maddison, Bertrand, Perez, Nacho, Thomas

****ing hell. The club must be very tempted to “go for it”.

I’ve been contemplating placing a bet for us to win the league this season. I’ve taken the plunge:

Attachments

• E0A8269C-DA7C-4220-9E17-DB326B4B0BF8.jpeg
    E0A8269C-DA7C-4220-9E17-DB326B4B0BF8.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 57
The good thing is that if (hopefully) we sustain a challenge I will get offers to cash out.

2 seasons ago I bet £40 to win it and when we were neck and neck with Liverpool I got offered £600 to cash out, unfortunately my heart ruled my head so I didn’t take it.

If the same situation were to materialise this season though…

Both would make good additions but I'd prefer Madueke. He's a young player with great potential who we can improve and let's face it, he's English so we'll be quids in when he takes the league by storm and the likes of Man City start throwing their money at us..
I’d rather not base a signing on how much the “top four” might pay for him in a few years. And potential is great but if it’s potential or a proven player then I’ll take the latter. Of course I recognize there’s no such thing as a guaranteed success with any signing.

I’d rather not base a signing on how much the “top four” might pay for him in a few years. And potential is great but if it’s potential or a proven player then I’ll take the latter. Of course I recognize there’s no such thing as a guaranteed success with any signing.
We didn't get where we are now investing in the latter. Not that I'd consider Berardi who has never played in the Prem a 'proven player' either...

If Liverpool and co. come waving big bucks then that's just a by product of the fact it has been a successful addition.

I'd be happy with either of the winger options.

From Brendan's comments it sounds like something will happen.

Getting Berardi or Madueke and finally filling that right wing role with someone talented would be a huge and exciting signing for this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669