Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded winter 2021/22 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allow me to explain myself.

We have three strong right backs. That's one too many. For nearly two years this hasn't mattered because at least one is always injured. However it is silly.

Meanwhile, on the left side, we have Bertrand who I'm happy to write off, and Thomas, who is a good but inconsistent prospect.

Our current solution to this imbalance appears to be to pretend that Justin is a left back. I don't agree.

So there is suddenly an experienced and highly capable left back available and we desperately need one. However, by BRs own admission, we have no money to spend in January. To just say buy Digne is a nonsense because we can't. We have to sell.

So my view is why not sacrifice a good right back for a good left back? Everton need a right back and Castagne would be a good signing for them.

I'd argue that Ricardo/Justin and Digne/Thomas is stronger than we have now. And of our three right backs, Castagne is the only one with a decent current market value. And in my opinion, he's the weakest of the three.
JJ was fantastic at LB for us. He will continue to be.

How quickly his performances there have been forgotten.

Not by me. He's first choice left back as soon as fit. Unfortunately he's also first choice right back and right sided centre back of a 3!

Him and Richarlison have two of the most slappable faces in football.

Nobody does swap deals any more, so a completely pointless argument

JJ will obviously be first choice left back when he's fit and if he can get back to his best, and Castagne will be first choice right back unless Ricardo can get back to fitness, which I very much doubt will happen

Swap deal FFS

With Richardo not being back to his best, and JJ not even on the pitch, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why we'd entertain losing Castagne
Same here, I think he's generally been very good for us.
I think Castagne is our current player of the season. Not saying much mind.
I agree. He rarely makes mistakes (the ridiculous passback stands out as an obvious one before anyone else points it out). He's the only one that looks accusatory when we concede daft goals, the others seem to have perfected the art of looking gormless. They need more gorm.

I agree, He's still our third best right back though.
And we'd have been up shit creek without the nearest hint of a paddle without him this season.

He'll be our regular RB with JJ on the left. Both have proven they are excellent in those positions. Until the real Ricardo shows up, and that may not happen, then any talk of getting rid of Castagne is ludicrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566