The last time City played Swindon....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember the feeling of elation and chaos inside the stadium when we equalised, only for it to be crushed pretty quickly

Wierd as it seems it's probably one of my favourite games I've been to just for that feeling when the third goal went in. I realise it didn't last but it's probably like many drugs in that the high was short lived but amazing

I remember the feeling of elation and chaos inside the stadium when we equalised, only for it to be crushed pretty quickly

Wierd as it seems it's probably one of my favourite games I've been to just for that feeling when the third goal went in. I realise it didn't last but it's probably like many drugs in that the high was short lived but amazing

I felt that when Heskey equalised against boro, went from being so low to so high so quickly is a feeling that can't be compared to any other! It was similar in the arsenal 3-3 match. Its the reason i love football so much, though thanks to city post o'neill its only a distant memory unfortunatly.

i would have to agree an unbelievable feeling when the 3rd went in only to feel crushed minutes later. Ellery was a pompous twat

After losing that game, i feared i'd never see us win at Wembley.
That wasn't helped a year later when i missed out on a ticket to the Derby game.
Thankfully there was Claridges shin still to come:icon_bigg

even though we lost it was a hell of a game.

when steve thompson equalised the feeling was of total ectasy,only had that feeling once before(wife not included)and that was the cambridge game in the play off.

after the swindon game i remember my voice had gone and my body totally drained.

The hairs on my neck are standing up just thinking about that game.

I was 12 and it was my first trip to wembley and my first proper season as a fully committed city fan. I remember being so crushed and seeing the look in my old mans face that said "What have I done to my poor son."

I've never forgiven him, bastard couldn't have took me to Old Trafford could he!

I was lucky and got to see the Derby game just days before moving to the states, so a bit of redemption I suppose.

One of the best games I've ever seen, and the best comeback ever. Shame about the result. On watching that again I am reminded of two things - how cool was that finish under pressure from Steve Thompson? And as I thought at the time and have thought since, Kevin Poole was nowhere near as good as a lot of people made out.

What a day of emotions that was, on top of the world when the equaliser went in and then devastated on their fourth, still that's football for you!

One of the great comebacks, great elation in the crowd, about shouted meself hoarse, but crushed when the penno was awarded.

Actually did shout myself hoarse at the Palace final.

Bloody hell was that really 15 years ago!!!!! I feel old.

Never watched that before, was always too gutted.

I remember I was sitting next to some gorgeous blonde that day, when the equaliser went in she threw her arms around me and snogged me.

We'd beaten Swindon 4-2 at Filbo earlier in the season as I recall. Brian Little had given me 2 free tickets to that.

Good days really.

All together now...

"I can't read and I can't write
But that don't really matter
Cos' I come up from Swindon Town
And I can drive a Tractor..."

Cheers for that.If i need anymore old wounds opening up i will give you a shout :icon_roll

I tell you all this for free - the cheer from our fans after Thompson slotted in the equaliser was a higher pitch than any cheer ever made by a Wembley crowd.

There may have been other come backs from three goals down but never in such an importnant game.

In my opinion, the Championship (or First Division as it was then) play-off final is the biggest game in domestic football.

Last edited:
I felt that when Heskey equalised against boro, went from being so low to so high so quickly is a feeling that can't be compared to any other! It was similar in the arsenal 3-3 match. Its the reason i love football so much, though thanks to city post o'neill its only a distant memory unfortunatly.

The Bristol Rovers game when we first equalised and then won it in the last five minutes was great. :icon_bigg Just underlines why I would never leave a match early. :icon_wink

In my opinion, the Championship (or First Division as it was then) play-off final is the biggest game in domestic football.

Because of the riches involved for success, I think that is is commonly accepted that it is indeed the biggest domestic game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669