The Natives are restless....

Status
Not open for further replies.
DurhamFox said:
CL went in to that game accepting defeat which is unacceptable IMO. Why are so many people happy about our current situation. Just avoiding relegation? damage limitation??? Where the feck has the pride gone???

Please don't get the idea that I am happy. You can be sure that I have been... eeerrr... voicing certain suggestions towards CL, the team and individual players over the last little while.

I just don't think the solution to the problem is in getting rid of CL.

bocadillo said:
I'm just a little surprised that all this has sprung up after we have lost a game that we were not likely to win rather than after, say, the Crewe or Millwall game at home.

perhaps something to do with the fact that CL has suggested over the past few weeks that we seem to play better against better teams? And yet when we played one of them he decided we had no chance of winning the way we had been playing against Sheff Utd?

anyway, it is probably a culmination of those 3 games to be honest

bocadillo said:
Please don't get the idea that I am happy. You can be sure that I have been... eeerrr... voicing certain suggestions towards CL, the team and individual players over the last little while.

can i ask your opinion on the sollution?

Bobby Smith said:
Should we expect all of the lower placed clubs that are playing higher opposition in the F.A cup to exercise damage limitation?

Norwich are above us on a good run, do we try to limit the damage or try to get a much needed win?

The amount of goals we ship is imaterial unless CL thinks we need to be relying on goal difference at the end of the season. We need points, we got none, that's maximum damage to me.

Shouldn't we be going into games saying lets go and win this b*stard.

If you take the damage limitation argument to the logical conclusion, we should go into damage limitation mode for all Clubs above us in the League. :rolleyes:

Feriol said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocadillo

and what would you think if we got a maximum of 2 pts from the weekend?

PFKAKTF FOX said:
No the reason I feel distraught Boc, is down to the fact that I was willing to buy into Levein's masterplan and blueprint for the future, I listened to what he was saying in pre season and I was prepared to write this season off as building for the future with a squad that was going to develop and improve throughout the season and MAKE PROGRESS on what was a diappointing season last season. I never expected the play offs or promotion.

The first dozen or so games were always going to be littered with inconsistent performances as the side gelled together, the problem is results have actually got worse, and the manager IMO has learnt nothing from his experiences last season. I am afraid as we sit on the edge of a relegation battle I am no longer prepared to accept this, he has been given more than adequate finances to deliver mid table safety, and I do not see why he should be given any longer, his record is comparable to other failed SPL managers in Bobby Williamson and Jim Jefferies, and I think it proves managing down in England is a lot harder than most Scots believe.

Then you should remember that it was not just CL's masterplan but also that of the Board - and campaign to get rid of them as well.

I am convinced that we are in a better position (not a better league position!) than we were in when CL arrived. Yes, I know he will be sacked (or walk) at some time - the pressure of public opinion will push the Board sooner or later - but I think he will leave a better legacy than either of the last two managers did.

The worrying part for me is that we seem to struggle against the lesser teams, CL's own admission, and now we are going to play damage limitation against the stronger sides, will somebody please tell me when we are supposed to win a fecking football match, because with that mentality and approach it is a point a game average for me and that means brown trousers and bicycle clip time !

Feriol said:

You can.

And I will tell you that I have no idea. No more than the people who want CL out have any idea - if they did have any idea, they would actually be singing with one voice about who they wanted to replace him. The cry of "CL out" is no more than one of frustration - it needs more than that to mark it as a solution.

If the school is falling down, get the kids out, knock it down and then decide how to re house them. Less injuries that way.

bocadillo said:
You can.

And I will tell you that I have no idea. No more than the people who want CL out have any idea - if they did have any idea, they would actually be singing with one voice about who they wanted to replace him. The cry of "CL out" is no more than one of frustration - it needs more than that to mark it as a solution.

aha. i have no idea. i have opinions of course, but i accept they may be wrong we all have our own thoughts of what should be done.

but what worries me is that the man who is paid to know, doesn't.

that is enough for me to believe he should go.

Last edited:
bocadillo said:
Then you should remember that it was not just CL's masterplan but also that of the Board - and campaign to get rid of them as well.

I am convinced that we are in a better position (not a better league position!) than we were in when CL arrived. Yes, I know he will be sacked (or walk) at some time - the pressure of public opinion will push the Board sooner or later - but I think he will leave a better legacy than either of the last two managers did.

I agree with you there Boc, and that is the strange thing about Levein's reign if he was to leave today, he would leave with quite a bit of recognition for the squad he has left behind, I have no doubt that he is very good at spoting and progressing younger talent as individuals, the problem seems to lie in the fact that he cannot make it gel into a side capable of winning football matches.

When / If he does leave IMO, he will leave a decent platform, but that is why it must happen soon, otherwise it could be beyond salvation and that would be a waste of the good work he has put in place.

bocadillo said:
You can.

Not very convincing I'm afraid.

Lets get this straight. You seem to be saying CL should carry on floundering until the spectators en masse and with one voice identify a new manager and at that point Levein gets put out of his misery!!!
Come on, now. In our set up, we have a manager who is responsible for on the field results. This manager doesn't seem able to deliver. The responsibility rests with the board to do something about it.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
I agree with you there Boc, and that is the strange thing about Levein's reign if he was to leave today, he would leave with quite a bit of recognition for the squad he has left behind, I have no doubt that he is very good at spoting and progressing younger talent as individuals, the problem seems to lie in the fact that he cannot make it gel into a side capable of winning football matches.

When / If he does leave IMO, he will leave a decent platform, but that is why it must happen soon, otherwise it could be beyond salvation and that would be a waste of the good work he has put in place.

Couldn't agree more with that really.

He's built what seems to be a fairly decent squad, just needs a few points strengthening, which (with the exception of a LB) CL seems to realise anyway.

I think the team is good enough, just the manager can't get them playing to match their ability. They just have no motivation it seems.

Redditch Fox said:

Lets get this straight. You seem to be saying CL should carry on floundering until the spectators en masse and with one voice identify a new manager and at that point Levein gets put out of his misery!!!
Come on, now. In our set up, we have a manager who is responsible for on the field results. This manager doesn't seem able to deliver. The responsibility rests with the board to do something about it.

If managers had been sacked as soon as fans started calling for their head Fergie would have gone before winning anything at Man U, W*rnock and Coppell would both have left their current clubs before now.
Just because some vocal people (still a minority according to the poll here) want him out doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Redditch Fox said:

No. I'm simply saying that I don't know the solution and I don't think anybody else does either.

webmaster said:
If managers had been sacked as soon as fans started calling for their head Fergie would have gone before winning anything at Man U, W*rnock and Coppell would both have left their current clubs before now.
Just because some vocal people (still a minority according to the poll here) want him out doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

agreed. my belief that CL should go, is with hope that someone else could do better. It is possible that CL can change things. but i see no signs of it.

webmaster said:

Totally agree, don't remember one occasion of fans sacking a manager anyway.

Can't say I claim to know the answer, I wouldn't like to choose a manager but I do believe the board should always be looking around for one (they could well be).

I would like to know if it's true that the team has a motivational coach?
and I would like to know why a club of our size with a decent wage bill cannot compete in this division despite trying 2 different managers?
Maybe somebody from within club could throw some light on it because I ain't got a clue.

Bobby Smith said:
Totally agree, don't remember one occasion of fans sacking a manager anyway.

Can't say I claim to know the answer, I wouldn't like to choose a manager but I do believe the board should always be looking around for one (they could well be).

I would like to know if it's true that the team has a motivational coach?
and I would like to know why a club of our size with a decent wage bill cannot compete in this division despite trying 2 different managers?
Maybe somebody from within club could throw some light on it because I ain't got a clue.

Neither has CL (see numerous post match comments for evidence) If he stood up and pinpointed issues and said how he was going to sort them out then I might be inclined to offer him some more time. But no it's all 'we were unlucky' ' we need more time to gel'.

webmaster said:

For the boring millionth time....football is all about opinions.
Is your opinion that Levein is going to turn out to be as good as Ferguson , Coppell or Warnock?

Put another way, do you think that if any of those three were in charge of the squad that it would be where it is in this crap league?

You are one of the people who posts reasonably worded statements to the effect that patience is needed whilst Levein gells a very inexperienced team. As I mentioned in another thread, your point sounds sensible but it's based on a myth. Levein's squad is littered with full internationals. If you have difficulty in sleeping try to identify how many clubs in this league have as many full internationals - I think you will be struggling.

Redditch Fox said:
Is your opinion that Levein is going to turn out to be as good as Ferguson , Coppell or Warnock?

No, I have never said that, I don't yet know if CL is a good manager or not.

The point I'm trying to make is that it can take a few years for a manager to get a team playing the way they want - with Coppell, W*rnock and Ferguson being some of the most high profile examples at the moment. They all had a couple of years of rebuilding and protest from fans before coming good.

The most successful managers of clubs our size in recent years have been the ones who have been given time to get things right.

Reading is a good example of that. There were anti-Coppell message board postings as recently as last Spring, and the season before last there were Coppell out chants.

Even Brian Clough didn't get f*rest promoted until his third season. Shame they didn't sack him after a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669