The Natives are restless....

Status
Not open for further replies.
glyn said:
I'd like to know from Boc and Webbo what you would think about the situation if we got at most a point or two from the weekend's matches?

I'd start to look more closely at the map for routes between the County of Kent and League One grounds.

glyn said:
as I've said in an earlier thread I think the whole Director of Football nonsense is a complete waste of time, and is basically only used to keep someone in employment. I can't think of a single situation where it has worked, yet it is touted about everytime we (or anyone else) are thinking of getting a new manager.

Also the young/old combo is a myth....Micky Adams had done very well at Fulham without needing any help from Bassett so I would have imagined he would have done just as well here without DB being in place.

Another option always mentioned is bringing in another 'young manager with potential'. Wasn't that what we had in Taylor, Adams and now Levein?

Basically none of the 'formulas' I've described are guaranteed to work, so we should concentrate on getting the right man (one man - a manager) in whatever his age or experience.

I have suggested because, I honestly dont know whether we can afford to sack Levein, also he has done some good work off the pitch - a role that can be carried out by a Director of Football, we need to make a change because IMO Levein is not good enough on matchdays but do we cut our nose off to spite our face, he is very good at producing long term plans that bear fruition, so this way hopefully it can bring about the necessary changes on the pitch to enable an improvement in results, whilst not tearing up a blueprint that can deliver a very good platform. Plus it provides the much needed stability within the club.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
I have suggested because, I honestly dont know whether we can afford to sack Levein, also he has done some good work off the pitch - a role that can be carried out by a Director of Football, we need to make a change because IMO Levein is not good enough on matchdays but do we cut our nose off to spite our face, he is very good at producing long term plans that bear fruition, so this way hopefully it can bring about the necessary changes on the pitch to enable an improvement in results, whilst not tearing up a blueprint that can deliver a very good platform. Plus it provides the much needed stability within the club.

I understand your thinking and it makes logical sense but I'm just not happy with the whole idea. Too many chiefs etc.

I'm sure that's the idea Spurs had with Pleat and we had with Bassett but it didn't work. In fact, Spurs have only become a decent team since they got rid of Pleat.

Also, hasn't CL prepared the groundwork now and wouldn't he therefore be a bit superfluous eventually?

glyn said:
I understand your thinking and it makes logical sense but I'm just not happy with the whole idea. Too many chiefs etc.

I'm sure that's the idea Spurs had with Pleat and we had with Bassett but it didn't work. In fact, Spurs have only become a decent team since they got rid of Pleat.

Also, hasn't CL prepared the groundwork now and wouldn't he therefore be a bit superfluous eventually?
yeh about 18 months from now.;) :icon_bigg

glyn said:

A true Director of Football would have responsibility for Long term planning, the academy, the structure of the club from top to bottom, controling of financial budgets, performance reviews of the various departments and the strategy for continious improvement.

He shouldnt have any involvement in the day to day decisions made regarding the first team, as regards new signings, tactics or team selections that would be the responsibility of the head coach and backroom staff.

The problem with Bassett from what I could see, was that he wanted to control Micky and still have an influence. For it to be a successful working relationship there would have to be clear parameters and guidelines set as to who is responsible for what and ensure there was to be no cross over. As long as these guidelines and parameters were in place I cannot see why this type of arrangement couldnt work. This way you can have a CL type who is concentrating on putting together a long term blue print, and this can be done without the short term pressures of trying to achieve instant results, whilst the head coach would be solely responsible for results without the added pressure of building for long term goals.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
As long as these guidelines and parameters were in place I cannot see why this type of arrangement couldnt work. This way you can have a CL type who is concentrating on putting together a long term blue print, and this can be done without the short term pressures of trying to achieve instant results, whilst the head coach would be solely responsible for results without the added pressure of building for long term goals.

Fine in principle - but can you give me an example of a successful arrangement (in the UK not the continent)?

If not, then why would it be any better for us?

glyn said:
Fine in principle - but can you give me an example of a successful arrangement (in the UK not the continent)?

If not, then why would it be any better for us?

Spurs - Frank Arnesen and Martin Jol.

So successful that Chelsea then poached Arnesen.

webmaster said:
No.

But if we sack him now we might never find out how good he is, that's the point I'm trying to make - just like Fergie etc might not have gone on to achieve what they did if they'd been sacked as soon as there was a bit of fans unrest.

We don't know how good CL can be. The decision that needs to be made is whether we give up on him now, or whether to be patient and give him a bit longer. There are lots of examples of managers who have needed a bit longer, and have come good. I think CL has shown signs of promise and needs a bit longer.

You still avoiding my question.

After a year in the job was fergie and clough hovering above relegation winless in 7 games?

Chrysalis said:
You still avoiding my question.

After a year in the job was fergie and clough hovering above relegation winless in 7 games?

I wasn't avoiding the question, I just didn't know the answer!

Anyway in Fergie's case he'd been there three years when they wanted him out.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
Spurs - Frank Arnesen and Martin Jol.

So successful that Chelsea then poached Arnesen.

ok that's a fair example, but I don't think Arnesen had enough time to put all the long-term plans in place that you mentioned and therefore Jol is the key factor behind the Spurs revival.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669