The random football videos thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[YOUTUBE]Yenzdq5g6o[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a bit funny

Moroccan Cup game between Fez and Rabat a couple of nights ago

Perhaps it's what Kermorgant was planning.

Last edited:
Odd, I remember something like this coming up in my referee training, and I'm sure it shouldn't be allowed.

I'd be very interested to know why they thought it shouldn't be allowed.

I'd be very interested to know why they thought it shouldn't be allowed.

my understanding of a penalty shootout is that the ball is classed as dead once it travels away from the goal

Last edited:
my understanding of a penalty shootout is that the ball is classed as dead once it travels away from the goal

Your understanding is incorrect. The matter was clarified after the 1986 World Cup in Mexico after an incident where a French player's shoot-out attempt hit the bar and rebounded into the net off the back of the Brazilian keeper. The referee awarded a goal and uproar ensued, during which a Brazilian player was booked.

Much discussion followed until the Scottish FA tabled a question asking for clarification on the subject the following year which led to FIFA at their annual meeting in Madrid backing the referee's decision. The advice that referee's should follow after this so-called 'Madrid Law' is that ""No matter how many combinations of goalpost, crossbar, goalkeeper's body parts etc. are involved, if the ball ends up in the goal because of the energy imparted onto it by the kicker's boot, a goal should be allowed."

33 years ago and people are still not getting it right.

Your understanding is incorrect. The matter was clarified after the 1986 World Cup in Mexico after an incident where a French player's shoot-out attempt hit the bar and rebounded into the net off the back of the Brazilian keeper. The referee awarded a goal and uproar ensued, during which a Brazilian player was booked.

Much discussion followed until the Scottish FA tabled a question asking for clarification on the subject the following year which led to FIFA at their annual meeting in Madrid backing the referee's decision. The advice that referee's should follow after this so-called 'Madrid Law' is that ""No matter how many combinations of goalpost, crossbar, goalkeeper's body parts etc. are involved, if the ball ends up in the goal because of the energy imparted onto it by the kicker's boot, a goal should be allowed."

33 years ago and people are still not getting it right.

I think I've overslept.

my understanding appears to be wrong, you learn something new every day

I wouldn't worry. For years I thought the goal that won us the play-off semi at Portsmouth was in order. I now know that it was off-side by a massive margin - and all because I didn't know the effect on the off-side rule if the goal-keeper is not where you would normally expect him to be.

Having said that, and largely because of that monumental mistake by the referee, I still regard that as one of my favourite goals in all of my City-supporting years. Portsmouth were, at that time, our biggest rivals and it really didn't matter how we beat them.

This kind of thing does though make me wonder how much the majority of fans and many of the players know about every intricacy of the laws of the game.

Last edited:
Will women ever properly understand the game? This clip suggests not.

[YOUTUBE]7on6av6RlWc[/YOUTUBE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670