The Reborn Foreign Football Thread

Last night Lecce played brilliantly to come back at Milan, only to have a super third goal chalked off by... you guessed it.. VAR. A foul in the buildup that no one saw or was bothered about until Milan kicked up a stink. I've watched it over and over and I think it's ridiculous.

Have a look and see what you think;

It's shit. I hate it.

The same can't be said for the match last night with Granada v Getafe. The fans were handed a red piece of paper at the turnstiles. I didn't know what it was for, maybe to protest against Mason Greenwood. It became clear as the match started, they were for the referee, who was shown a red card by the Granada fans and told to go. I'd forgotten that he has been in charge of some dodgy games in recent history.
He carried on as previously. There were two clear penalty calls for Granada and the ref told them to play on and refused to consult VAR, giving a yellow card to one player who protested. In this case, VAR perhaps should have been used, but was refused. As far as I can tell, it wasn't used at all during the match. It seems that VAR can easily be underused as well as overused.
According to an article the referee has officiated 42 La Liga games, awarded 233 yellow and 7 red cards. He awarded 6 more yellow cards last night. Greenwood made a few good runs forward, but had a so-so game and was substituted with about 15 minutes to go.

I've just got back from the Granada v Bilbao match. After around 15 minutes there was noise and activity further down the side where I was. People were shouting at the officials and were ignored. Fans were shouting for the game to be stopped, many others standing to see what was happening, one fan tried to run onto the pitch to attract attention, the opposition goalkeeper went and spoke to a linesman.
The ref played on for several minutes, about seven somebody told me, and eventually blew the whistle. The security people didn't turn up to stand around the pitch until the match had stopped. Eventually the opposition doctor came over, then somebody running over with a defibrillator. Lots more standing around with no notifications at all. After around half and hour the ref sent the teams off the pitch and after lots more time an announcement was made that due to a grave medical incident the match had been abandoned.
I have now heard that a fan had a heart attack and has since died. I imagine there will be an enquiry, but the ref has to take some blame for ignoring pleas and Granada CF need to take some responsibility for incompetence . We'll wait and see if there are sanctions in some form or another, but that ref should be banned from officiating again, the delay to treatment perhaps cost a life.

I've just seen a message that the match is being replayed tomorrow night and will restart at minute 17. A bit quick and slightly strange. If the same ref is officiating there wil probably be riots.

I've just got back from the Granada v Bilbao match. After around 15 minutes there was noise and activity further down the side where I was. People were shouting at the officials and were ignored. Fans were shouting for the game to be stopped, many others standing to see what was happening, one fan tried to run onto the pitch to attract attention, the opposition goalkeeper went and spoke to a linesman.
The ref played on for several minutes, about seven somebody told me, and eventually blew the whistle. The security people didn't turn up to stand around the pitch until the match had stopped. Eventually the opposition doctor came over, then somebody running over with a defibrillator. Lots more standing around with no notifications at all. After around half and hour the ref sent the teams off the pitch and after lots more time an announcement was made that due to a grave medical incident the match had been abandoned.
I have now heard that a fan had a heart attack and has since died. I imagine there will be an enquiry, but the ref has to take some blame for ignoring pleas and Granada CF need to take some responsibility for incompetence . We'll wait and see if there are sanctions in some form or another, but that ref should be banned from officiating again, the delay to treatment perhaps cost a life.
How sad. I remember people on this forum moaning about matches being stopped for medical incidents in the crowd. It's good to see that a crowd simply would not let those people get what they want - though I would like to roll you post up and stick it up a few of those people's arses.

How sad. I remember people on this forum moaning about matches being stopped for medical incidents in the crowd. It's good to see that a crowd simply would not let those people get what they want - though I would like to roll you post up and stick it up a few of those people's arse
The crowd were chanting the Bilbao goalkeeper's name (Unai Simon) in appreciation, because it took his actions to get the ref to blow the whistle.

Not long ago today, the clubs and La Liga said that the game would be replayed at a future date to allow the fans and the deceased's family to come to terms with the grief.
Bearing in mind that is the norm in Spain is for funerals to be held within 24 hours, it is very disrespectful to have the rematch the following day, to suit the travelling players (Bilbao is about 800km away) and officials and them only having to stop overnight in Granada. The funeral will probably even be still happening!!
It has been announced that the squads and officials will remain the same for tomorrow's match. Since they are the same officials I, and several others I know, won't be going, to show real respect for the family :mad:

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363
9Middlesbro4463
10Preston 4463