The RIP Thread

Mark E. Smith has left The Fall.

Ah well.

The mardy old bastard.

If he only died today he definitely hasn't noticed yet. I worked for him once & he was exactly as annoying & unpleasant as I expected him to be...which was absolutely fine.Give me that over insincere ****s who want to be your best mate any day. Ripped me off on the pay as well.

RIP you git.

A true original in every sense of the word & not a fake bone in his body.

I worked for him once & he was exactly as annoying & unpleasant as I expected him to be...which was absolutely fine

When was this, roughly?

In early-mid 80's (when with Brix) he was happy and almost reasonable at times. He did become totally wired and unreasonable later on tho. Difficult chap.
I'd still prefer to have a pint with him than many others.

In early-mid 80's (when with Brix) he was happy and almost reasonable at times.

I read an interview with Brix last night and she commented on MES being happy then... beggars belief, MES "happy"... I'm sure it was meant in a context.

I had the fortune to meet MES once (and Brix twice, but that's another story), in the green room after his 'Hey, Luciani' play at the Riverside in Hammersmith. He was banjoed (of course) but still affable and coherent.

When was this, roughly?

In early-mid 80's (when with Brix) he was happy and almost reasonable at times. He did become totally wired and unreasonable later on tho. Difficult chap.
I'd still prefer to have a pint with him than many others.
1992 if I remember right...during a tour which ended with half the band being sacked in one night

..during a tour which ended with half the band being sacked in one night

A strange time. I remember that happening and having read Steve Hanley's book, I kind of realise what MES must have been like then. Thankfully he cleaned himself up else he would have featured in the RIP Thread many years sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken Dodd.

Ubiquitous on the telly all through my youth.

Every sad arsed Saturday variety extravaganza they tortured you with when you were too skint to go out on a freezing winter night,there he was. Along with fellow Scouse bore Tarbuck, talentless **** Brucie & Des O' Frigging Connor.

The only reason the stars of that era got so big was because there was **** all else to watch on 2 channels & **** all home entertainment apart from TV.So it was them or **** all. I'd have voted for **** all personally.

Unfunny Scouse twat. Never made me laugh once.

RIP

Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don't just give up.

RIP Professor. :icon sad:

One of the funniest men I’ve seen. RIP Doddy.

Ken Dodd.

Unfunny Scouse twat. Never made me laugh once.

RIP

I would guess that the difference is that SJN Fox actually saw him.

Tastes in humour vary. I do not enjoy nasty humour - Bernard Manning, Jo Brand, Frankie Boyle. I prefer "mirth that has no bitter springs" Ken Dodd on stage was never nasty.

I saw Ken Dodd three times at De Montfort Hall and regret that I will not see him again.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00
9Fulham00
10Ipswich00