The RIP Thread

RIP Katie Boyle

Katie Boyle epitomised the early days of TV. She was beautiful, had a posh accent and was skilful at dealing with live television. . It is a surprise to find she was on TV long after the fifties had ended.

She was especially associated with the Eurovision Song Contest which she treated with a respect.it did not deserve. For me Terry Wogan had the right attitude. I have always been surprised that the countries of Bach, Strauss and Verdi treat this nonsense with almost reverence. Katie Boyle would have sympathised with a country that got nil points; Terry Wogan would have enjoyed it.

Whatever her private story Katie's image was pre-feminist. Times change. I liked her in the 1950s but would find her irritating today. My favourite female presenter these days is Bettany Hughes - the total opposite of Katie.You could not imagine Katie Boyle in jeans getting her hands dirty on a mountain in Greece.

I would guess that the difference is that SJN Fox actually saw him.

Tastes in humour vary. I do not enjoy nasty humour - Bernard Manning, Jo Brand, Frankie Boyle. I prefer "mirth that has no bitter springs" Ken Dodd on stage was never nasty.

I saw Ken Dodd three times at De Montfort Hall and regret that I will not see him again.

As you say, tastes vary.

For me...well, I decided to stop being a child around the age of 12 or 13. Gave up watching kid's TV & preferred to watch the news. In the process figuring out that the smartly dressed men & women with impressive titles that appeared on it were mostly charlatans,liars & self-serving cheats who had no regard for me. They were also devoid of any leadership qualities. Functionaries all.

The mainstream, TV variety show type comedians of the 70s always seemed to me to be childish. I couldn't see why adults found them funny. Their humour seemed juvenile.

Although from your list of alternatives...Bernard Manning was about as funny as chemotherapy. Lowest common denominator rubbish aimed at knuckledragging Sun readers. Never been a shortage of those, hence his success.

Jo Brand...just unimpressive & not that funny.

Frankie Boyle however is a barbed wire genius in my view. If lacking a little in terms of having a natural flow to his act.

Doug Stanhope beats all. You'd definitely hate him though.

Reading details of his life it sounds like it would make a good bio pic in a few years.
In the 50's he was wanted by women for his good looks and his fancy cardigan :003:
Earned loads of money then lost it all to the Tax man.

You never know, he is a pal of David’s favourite MMA commentator Joe Rogan.

Oh yes! I'd forgotten about David's appreciation of Rogan. Still, Doug is much more misanthropic & less sporty. Although his routine about gay rape fantasies on an NFL field might qualify!

Along with June Brown & the Queen Mother he was one of those people I always assumed had never,ever been young.

Must have known his face for well over 40 years & he was a middle-aged,fat bald bloke & then an old,fat bald bloke.

Still, as a fat bald bloke myself it does give hope that I might get famous!

His character was based on a relative of someone I played football with. Sad news.

And let’s not forget, he was one of our own ...

At Grammar School Bill was a member of the soccer team and also won an athletic trophy. He signed for the local YMCA team and later began playing inside-right for Leicester City FC's junior team after being spotted by a scout. Don Revie (former England manager) was also part of the junior team and he later introduced Bill to Jackie Charlton (World Cup winner 1966) who became one of Bill's closest friends. Bill's coach at Leicester City was Sep Smith. Bill left Leicester City FC to play for semi-pro club Kettering Town FC (!), as it paid his expenses, unlike Leicester, but Bill's career in football was cut short at the age of seventeen when he received a 'divided cruciate ligament' injury to his right leg during a training session. In those days this irreparable knee injury meant an instant end to any football aspirations.

Oh yes! I'd forgotten about David's appreciation of Rogan. Still, Doug is much more misanthropic & less sporty. Although his routine about gay rape fantasies on an NFL field might qualify!
Have you read the book Stanhope wrote about his mum and his comedy influences? I’ve heard him telling some of the stories on podcasts, they’re so dark they had me crying with laughter.

Have you read the book Stanhope wrote about his mum and his comedy influences? I’ve heard him telling some of the stories on podcasts, they’re so dark they had me crying with laughter.
Digging Up Mother :) Yes I have. Anyone who can make assisted suicide funny has a special talent.Particularly when it's a true story & especially when it's your own mother. Following it up with credit card fraud just made my head hit the desk. Genius.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00
9Fulham00
10Ipswich00