The Talking Balls Book Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love that book.

One of my all-time favourite comedy-reads is "Are you Dave Gorman?". Never fails to make me laugh.

Currently reading "My Boring Ass Life: The Diaries of Kevin Smith"

Round Ireland with a Fridge, Playing the Moldovans at Tennis and Are you Dave Gorman are the very best of the "funny task to complete" genre. Anything after that were just on the bandwagon, not saying they weren't good, just couldn't recapture the originality of those three.

'....Fridge' is one of my all-time favourite books.

Edit: Of course Are You Dave Gorman was a TV show first I think, but what I said still applies

Last edited:
i completed jodi picoult's 'my sister's keeper' in 48hrs, quite possibly the best book ive read. Its about a girl called kate who contracts leaukemia and the only way her parents can try and help her is to have another child with the same make up (her older brother isnt a match) as kate, anna then becomes her sisters donor without being asked if she wants to do it and this goes on til anna reaches 13 when she realises that she doesnt want to do it anymore (not that she wants her sister to die) and is expected to help her sister at a drop of a hat without being asked so she decides to sue her parents..bit of a twist at the end, you can see/understand anna and her parents views on it, highly recommended

theres a film out at the end of month about this book - not sure whether i want to see it as it might not be anywhere near as good as the book

Nearly finished: "American Prometheus - the trumph and tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer", by K. Bird and M. Sherwin. A great (but long!) read, and the most riveting biography I've read since that of Berlioz.

Nearly finished: "American Prometheus - the trumph and tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer", by K. Bird and M. Sherwin. A great (but long!) read, and the most riveting biography I've read since that of Berlioz.

Clearly never read Duncan Norvilles

sorry to bring down the tone hector...

Jonathan ross - why do i say these things

OK, quite entertaining. 6.5/10

just started dial M for merde, the 4th installment of Paul West's overseas problems

Round Ireland with a Fridge, Playing the Moldovans at Tennis and Are you Dave Gorman are the very best of the "funny task to complete" genre. Anything after that were just on the bandwagon, not saying they weren't good, just couldn't recapture the originality of those three.

'....Fridge' is one of my all-time favourite books.

Tony Hawks has started filming a movie of "Round Ireland with a Fridge"
www.roundirelandwithafridge.com

I've finished 1974 and bought 1977 to read during holiday, along with a book about Brazilian footie.

Finished Hunting Ground aswell....don't think I'll finish off Crime and Punishment though.

THe book that accompanied Monty Halls series about living in a croft in the West Highlands in Applecross.Great read but gets me feeling very homesick

THe book that accompanied Monty Halls series about living in a croft in the West Highlands in Applecross.Great read but gets me feeling very homesick

Is it just a rehash of the TV show, a la Long Way Down, or does it give more of the story?

Is it just a rehash of the TV show, a la Long Way Down, or does it give more of the story?

I'm 63 pages in and it does give a bit more in depth stuff about the people of Applecross and the area.He looked at two others places before choosing Beachcomber Cottage,I don't think they showed/mentioned that in the series.He always tells of how he has always had a fascination with the West Highlands and considers it the most beautiful place on Earth,something I can relate to,however if he has travelled the whole world whilst I have only been To Ireland and Boulougne,Buy it Beights but ony if you see it on offer on somewhere

Last edited:
I'm 63 pages in and it does give a bit more in depth stuff about the people of Applecross and the area.He looked at two others places before choosing Beachcomber Cottage,I don't think they showed/mentioned that in the series.Buy it Beights but ony if you see it on offer on somewhere

I'll definately give it a go cheers

Charlie Connolly is your man for humourous travel books,excellent reads
agree, tip top hf
also try tim moore, french revolutions, spanish steps, continental drifter

I've just finished the 4th of Stephen Clarke's 'merde' series. Best one so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690