They're talking about us

There's a really interesting analysis piece on us by Michael Cox in the Athletic today for those with access.

Highlights:

1. Defensively, we're conceding fewer chances to opponents than anyone else
2. Our conversion of chances created to goals is exceptional (and they argue unsustainable)
3. Maddison and our wingers are all that is letting us down from being even better by not creating genuine chances (we're 17th in the league for it)

https://theathletic.co.uk/1251337/2...linical-finishing-is-propelling-them-upwards/

This piece articulates my criticism/concern better than I have been able to.
Jesus, if you put half of the energy you use trying to show how shit Maddison is into something more productive you could make a fortune. Just give up.

Perhaps had we ayer Maddison where he should have been instead of trying to turn him into a winger or Coutinho or any other such bollocks he'd have created more chances.

He was 8th on the list of top chance creators for Europe last year but, yeah, he's shit and creates nothing.

Last edited:
wasn't it Michael Cox who spent an entire season saying how poor Burnley were when they finished 7th because their XG was so low?

Yep, he’s a complete twat

It’s a complete load of twaddle based on selective meaningless stats

We’ve got talented young players, playing well, scoring goals, winning matches

No amount of horseshit stats can destroy that

Cox definitely is agenda driven, especially as it relates to us. Sure I heard him say on a podcast recently that City has “the second biggest achievement in East Midlands football”. So, yeah.

Cox definitely is agenda driven, especially as it relates to us. Sure I heard him say on a podcast recently that City has “the second biggest achievement in East Midlands football”. So, yeah.
Let's not be precious about it - winning the European Cup twice in a row, even then, was an enormous achievement for a club of Forest's size

Today he actually said he enjoys playing football but has never cared about winning.

This from someone that making his living analysing tactics

Let's not be precious about it - winning the European Cup twice in a row, even then, was an enormous achievement for a club of Forest's size

Malmo and Hamburg.

Titans.

Yes, I’m being churlish. No less than Cox, who is supposed to be considerably more grown up than me on matters of football.

Today he actually said he enjoys playing football but has never cared about winning.

This from someone that making his living analysing tactics

He sounds like one of those stereo snobs from the 70's (they might be still around) who spend more time listening for the faults in the system than the music they're playing.

Cox was on the Totally Football Show this week too, and mentioned this stat on there. But elsewhere in the show mentioned another team - I can't remember who - that are in the top 5 for xG but in the bottom 5 of the league, again using this to argue they're in a false position.

To me, that just highlights the limitations of xG as a stat...

Our players are good finishers, which to be fair they did address, but they said isn't sustainable. I'd beg to differ. Vardy in particular does not need 3 chances to score - 1 good chance and he'll usually find the back of the net.

Cox has already said several times he doesn't think we're as good as people say we are, and I think he's just trying to find stats to back that up.

He also said he didn't think Brendan would be a good hire for us, but had no reason why - and did admit he was wrong on that front now.

I can see his point on the xG thing to an extent, in that I question whether we have enough goals in our team. I still think we're missing that attacking winger ala Mahrez to add in more goals from midfield (or goals outside of Vardy, more accurately), but I don't think it's us not creating enough chances.

We’ve just scored nine goals in a week

Those are the stats I will believe in, rather than those provided by some complete twat with an agenda (Cox, that is, not BN. Although........)

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363
9Middlesbro4463
10Preston 4463