They're talking about us

'Highlights' from the LM:

Leicester City CEO Susan Whelan has spoken about running the club and what it means to the community in a rare media interview with the Irish Times

Leicester City chief executive Susan Whelan has explained why she "loves" her job at the club.

Whelan has been in the CEO role since King Power bought Leicester City from Milan Mandaric in 2010. During that time, she has overseen promotion from the Championship, the great escape, the Premier League miracle, FA Cup glory and three seasons of European football.

It is refreshing to hear that the club recognise what they mean to the community of Leicester and Leicestershire more widely, with Whelan also explaining the hardest aspect of running a football club.

Read more: Brendan Rodgers can implement Leicester City plan against Manchester United after year-long wait

Read more: Vardy, Thomas, Albrighton – Leicester City injury news ahead of Manchester United clash

“Of course I love it," Whelan told the Irish Times. "The buzz of a match day is very important. Being able to do the charity side of things, the business, the retail, the hospitality, it’s quite all-encompassing and it’s really great fun.

“It’s how much it means to so many people. It’s so important to remember that. It is for the community and for the fans and that is something that is really important. The visibility of a football club is very different to other businesses from that point of view.

“I think the hardest bit is the fact that there is so much that is outside your control. You have all of the infrastructure in place for success and all of the things that should guarantee success, but because it is sport there is no guarantee of the outcome. I suppose that’s what makes it exciting, but in other businesses you have a lot more levers you can pull to influence what the outcome is. When it’s sport it’s not quite as easy.

"We built it up slowly because we never wanted to be subject to terrible crises if there was a change in our league position. People depend on us for their mortgages, for their livelihoods, for all of those things.”

There is a spirit at Leicester City, among staff and players alike, that is different to what you hear of many other clubs. There is a family feel, a community spirit and a togetherness which makes the club unique in so many ways.

Whelan said: "During the pandemic we didn’t let any of the staff go, we didn’t furlough them, we kept them together, we got them doing outreach stuff into the community to keep them occupied and doing something beneficial.

“I always say to my own team that we have to be about more than football. You can’t win every single weekend and you have to represent something that is bigger than a single result or set of results. We’re very fortunate that we can make – it sounds very cliched – a positive difference to people’s lives sometimes. You hear someone is unwell and you can invite them down to the training ground.”

Good lord.

I remember that world so vividly.

3 months after my first game at Filbert St. I felt really fortunate that having never even remotely considered supporting anyone other than my home town team, they were a top half first division side widely admired for their style of football. I looked forward to an exciting future of title challenges, cup runs, trophies, open top buses & thrilling european nights under floodlights like the ones I'd seen other clubs have on Sportsnight.

****ing middle aged by the time any of it happened.

Meanwhile, punk rock was about to inspire me & take me on a thrilling journey that would change everything. I was going to change the world. Football was the only thing I took with me from before. It was the best of times.

Also. weren't people from the back streets of Leicester awfully well spoken in the 70s ? Wonder if they were putting it on for the telly ?

And for half the period we’ve not even been in the PL, unlike those teams (Villa mostly in the PL)
Good point. If you add into that list that we've won League One, the championship, QF of the champions league and now SF of a European Cup - its genuinely a remarkable period for the club.

Not to mention two 5th place finishes.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4564