They're talking about us

According to the Athletic, this is what some historical transfers would have cost in the modern day. TBH, it shows how poor our recruitment has been (even in recent times) at the upper end of the market.

Leicester-City-Top-10-1-1.png

And in today’s episode of completely made up stats, the correlation between the price of munchies, and the number of goals scored by Norwich by players with an S in their name.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the Athletic, this is what some historical transfers would have cost in the modern day. TBH, it shows how poor our recruitment has been (even in recent times) at the upper end of the market.

As I don't subscribe to the orthodoxy that football was invented in 1992, I can point out that the only time we have ever been at the upper end of the market was in 1968 when Allan Clarke was signed for £150k from Fulham or whatever was left after the value of Frank Large was deducted.... Glorious, and a very good classy player, but overall of limited success, and not really repeated since.

Though it probably means that the ownership of the Thais, the extended stay in the prem and money from European football have shifted us a little along the bell curve, and our fee limit is currently around £40m, that's bound to be a mixture of great buys like Tielemans and complete duffers like Slimani and Akinbiyi - it's what happens in that section of "the market"

But one Jamie Vardy every generation makes most of the teeth gnashing moot.

I wouldn't mind seeing a table including money recovered from selling on shit players. We got some of the Akinbiyi money back. Did we get owt for Silva, Salami? Will we get owt for Soumare?

Quite mad we got a fee for Ade.....

...Quite mad we got a fee for Ade.....

Just as mad that we paid that much for him. I was working with a girl who was from Gillingham at the time and she couldn't believe that Leicester along with a couple of other clubs before us would spend that much on him. She never thought he was much more than an good League 1/ average Championship player.

Just as mad that we paid that much for him. I was working with a girl who was from Gillingham at the time and she couldn't believe that Leicester along with a couple of other clubs before us would spend that much on him. She never thought he was much more than an good League 1/ average Championship player.

Can you get her to contact Jon Rudkin? We're looking for a new head of recruitment.

Excellent player.
I remember sitting in the away end at Highbury when he curled in a wonderful free-kick into the top corner right in front of us.

I don’t know if he was an excellent player but he was certainly way above any of the other players that we had at the time.

I remember sitting in the away end at Highbury when he curled in a wonderful free-kick into the top corner right in front of us.

I don’t know if he was an excellent player but he was certainly way above any of the other players that we had at the time.
Was that the boxing day match? The Walsh unlucky deflected free kick own goal that looped over Poole?

was in 1968 when Allan Clarke was signed for £150k from Fulham or whatever was left after the value of Frank Large was deducted.... Glorious, and a very good classy player, but overall of limited success,
I seem to remember he scored the only goal in the semi final that knocked out cup holders WBA and got us to the FA Cup final in 1969.
We were relegated the same year and he moved on to Leeds where he scored loads of goals

Was that the boxing day match? The Walsh unlucky deflected free kick own goal that looped over Poole?
I think it was this game

I remember we were all happy that Ian Wright was out and then Chris Kiwomya set up their goal

That's making me wonder what the oldest pre/ match thread on here is.

Hopefully Jeff will know but we may even need Webbo to answer that one!......

In answer to my own question, it turns out it's quite easy to find them what appears to be the earliest one on here

A rare occurrence in that the forum seemed to be in unanimous agreement on something in that everyone was really looking forward to seeing Paul Brooker start against Barcelona!?!

More true to form though in that the forum got over excited about a completely shite signing who I had forgotten had even existed until just now.

I seem to remember browsing the forum on filbertstreet.net before the first threads on here when ordering by date so I reckon there is older than that.

This one made me chuckle from the first page too:

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669
9Coventry City4664