This is more like it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ox Fox said:
Don't talk about yourself in the third person HF, people will start to think you are coming down with Adams syndrome.

I don't wear glasses....

highland fox said:
So you would turn down 5 million for Stearman ?

Obviously not, but no-one's going to make a silly offer for our players - all I'm saying is why take £1 m for Fryatt / Hume / Stearman / McCarthy etc. when we have seen their ability and they're only going to get better even if it allows us to bring in 3 'proven' players who may not fit in at leicester, may not get the fans' backing etc. In fact, I think this is a pretty important point as we've been short of anyone who the fans really identify with since Dickov / Muz - someone who kids might call a hero and someone who peaple will pay money to watch. That's something that any of those players have the potential to become and it would take a VERY good offer for me to accept selling them - it's such a backward and unnecessary step. If it aint broke...

highland fox said:
we aren't in a financial position to say No.

Anybody have any figures to give a bit more detail on our financial position? During CL's sacking the board were fairly quick to point out he had slashed the wage bill and done a good job everywhere except on the pitch.

highland fox said:
Agreed but its the only way we are going to get any finance at the moment.

It seems to me that the key issue is whether or not the club has to reduce expenditure below the current level.

If not, then i think they should generally leave alone on the basis that the results achieved since the sacking of the greatly missed Levein have been good enough to give some real hope for next season.

If the club has to sell then it wont bring in any real money by getting shut - if that is feasible - of the deadwood - Hammill, Sylla, Hammond etc because it's obvious that they are free transfer material and presumably others will have to be brought in to make up the numbers.

I would assume that bigger clubs will have noticed the big improvements here and will come in for the better players - my guesses at their transfer value are: Stearman 2 to 2.5m; Fryatt 1.2m and Hume 1m. I don't think any of the rest who would command a fee- e.g. Williams and Hughes would fetch more than a few hundred thousand

Good post Redditch, however I think we have to try and resist the sales of our better players ie the ones you have identified, as they will be key to our progress next season. And we would still have to replace them.

Personally I would like to see Kelly wheel and deal using the free transfer market and maybe a couple of key long term loan deals. I would like to see players like Tiatto, Morris, Sylla, Hamill and possibly Hammond moved on, but I see no reason why these cannot be replaced by decent Bosman signings.

IMO Kelly will have to take a couple of gambles this summer and hope that they come off, be it either promising lower division players, ageing but proven player such as a Lennon type or a talent like Piper who has been beset by injury but could just come in with a fresh start and regain his best form.

Whatever happens it will be a long hard summer for RK and his team and he will really earn his corn.

It would be interested to know what the "Levein plan" is/was in terms of timings. We all know what the objectives were in terms of average age, cut in wage bill etc but when was promotion forecast/expected?

Surely he was not expected to get us promoted this season and then if that is the case the finances we currently have should reflect that fact and therefore we shouldn't have to do that much pruning for the next campaign.

I know gates etc have fallen below expectation but we must have forecast when we signed players on three year deals that we would have to fund tose contracts from non parachute payment subsidised funds.

Fox From The Hudd said:
It would be interested to know what the "Levein plan" is/was in terms of timings. We all know what the objectives were in terms of average age, cut in wage bill etc but when was promotion forecast/expected?

Surely he was not expected to get us promoted this season and then if that is the case the finances we currently have should reflect that fact and therefore we shouldn't have to do that much pruning for the next campaign.

I know gates etc have fallen below expectation but we must have forecast when we signed players on three year deals that we would have to fund tose contracts from non parachute payment subsidised funds.

I have the impression that one of the issues is the fall in the sale of match day tickets. I think that STs represent good value for those who can commit themselves to regular attendance and they are marketed to compare very favourably with paying match by match. However, the downside is that when the team are not getting results that there is no lure for the more casual supporters to buy tickets..and the 'on the day' receipts for some home games this season must have been derisory.

I wouldn't be surprised if the board thought that the club would be challenging for a play off spot this season....although the sale of Connolly would suggest that finance had to be the main priority....obviously.

When you think about it, RK's achievements in lifting the gloom has been quite remarkable....but I have the feeling that the underlying position remains very difficult with the continuing fall out from relegation and administration. I would think that any attractive offer for our best players is bound to be irresistable.

Redditch Fox said:
I have the impression that one of the issues is the fall in the sale of match day tickets. I think that STs represent good value for those who can commit themselves to regular attendance and they are marketed to compare very favourably with paying match by match. However, the downside is that when the team are not getting results that there is no lure for the more casual supporters to buy tickets..and the 'on the day' receipts for some home games this season must have been derisory.

I wouldn't be surprised if the board thought that the club would be challenging for a play off spot this season....although the sale of Connolly would suggest that finance had to be the main priority....obviously.

When you think about it, RK's achievements in lifting the gloom has been quite remarkable....but I have the feeling that the underlying position remains very difficult with the continuing fall out from relegation and administration. I would think that any attractive offer for our best players is bound to be irresistable.

It is a double edged sword, an early sale of one of the star players this summer could spell disaster for season ticket sales, where as a summer of shrewd wheeling and dealing plus the newly found optimism of the new era under RK should provide a decent platform for season ticket sales.

I would hope that the recent restructure will also see significant improvement in the commercial and retail performance of the club and help provide additional revenue which could be vital. Whilst our current situation is far from ideal, clubs like Preston have proved what can still be achieved with a decent manager and some shrewd transfer dealings.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
Whilst our current situation is far from ideal, clubs like Preston have proved what can still be achieved with a decent manager and some shrewd transfer dealings.

Also add Watford and dare I say it Sheffield United to that list.....

Fox From The Hudd said:

Good point well made Fox From The Hudd, Watford have done superbly well with a high proprotion of players signed on long term loans or for free / small transfer fees.

Our run under RK will not have gone unnoticed within the footballing fraternity and I would imagine that would certainly help to attract players in the summer.

Fox From The Hudd said:

Definitely....Warnock has been derided on this forum largely because of the bitter statements he made about our exit from administration, but he has kept Sheffield United competitive in the division for a long period and we would undoubtedly been better off with him than Mickey or the hapless Levein.

I, for one, am quite pleased for him,in that he has ultimately acheived his objective......unfortunately it is most likely to end in the Blades getting immediately relegated...and Warnock getting the sack!

That said I was wrong about Wigan, although I think they have an excellent chance of being relegated next season.

Redditch Fox said:
Definitely....Warnock has been derided on this forum largely because of the bitter statements he made about our exit from administration, but he has kept Sheffield United competitive in the division for a long period and we would undoubtedly been better off with him than Mickey or the hapless Levein.

I, for one, am quite pleased for him,in that he has ultimately acheived his objective......unfortunately it is most likely to end in the Blades getting immediately relegated...and Warnock getting the sack!

That said I was wrong about Wigan, although I think they have an excellent chance of being relegated next season.
Warnock is a blades fan through and through and has got them promoted with sheer determination and motivation but he is a big mouthed pillock.
If only Watford could have capatilised when Sheff Utd had a bad run they would be automatically promoted, could of been worse though as Leeds also couldn't take advantage.

Stevie Lynex on the wing said:
Warnock is a blades fan through and through and has got them promoted with sheer determination and motivation but he is a big mouthed pillock.

Quite....seems just the right qualities to be a successful football manager, don't you think?

Redditch Fox said:
Quite....seems just the right qualities to be a successful football manager, don't you think?
Deffo, You only have to look at MON he wasn't a Leicester fan but he had so much motivation and that reaped our success and he is a Celtic fan and look what he did for them.
I wonder if our very own Gary Lineker went into management instead of presenting tv footie would he have managed us to success.

be interesting when sheff utd play chelsea next season they both have whinging managers

Yorkshire Vixen said:
be interesting when sheff utd play chelsea next season they both have whinging managers

Is it too much to hope they might kill each other ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669