This is more like it

Status
Not open for further replies.
highland fox said:
Is it too much to hope they might kill each other ?

Might have done if they were in competition but I'm afraid Shefffield United are probably doomed already - they reckon to have nearly 10m to spend but i think they would need nearer 20m to be viable

Redditch Fox said:
highland fox said:
Is it too much to hope they might kill each other ?

Might have done if they were in competition but I'm afraid Shefffield United are probably doomed already - they reckon to have nearly 10m to spend but i think they would need nearer 20m to be viable

I dont necessarily agree, both Wigan and West Ham have proved that it is possible to survive without spending silly money in the summer. Sheff Utd are a decent footballing side who I think have a chance of emulating the achievements of Wigan and West Ham. Also in Warnock they have a manager who is experienced and passionate, IMO they could be a dark horse next season.

The biggest question mark hangs over the strikers and whether they have the ability to make that step up. Akinbiyi will be a key player, IMO he must sign a premiership quality striker.

i think with warnock its going to be unbearable whether they do well or not he will either be bleating about something if they lose or gloating that its no surprise theyre doing well!!

Redditch Fox said:
If the club has to sell then it wont bring in any real money by getting shut - if that is feasible - of the deadwood - Hammill, Sylla, Hammond etc because it's obvious that they are free transfer material and presumably others will have to be brought in to make up the numbers.

That's assuming the dead wood want to move on. There is a little matter of a still being under contract. This works both ways and if no one comes in for them they may be happy to sit on their arse and do nothing for their wages.

That's the down side of CL giving three year contracts. Rab Douglas is a case in point, I believe he still has two years on his contract. We badly need a better keeper but could not afford three.

harry said:
That's assuming the dead wood want to move on. There is a little matter of a still being under contract. This works both ways and if no one comes in for them they may be happy to sit on their arse and do nothing for their wages.

That's the down side of CL giving three year contracts. Rab Douglas is a case in point, I believe he still has two years on his contract. We badly need a better keeper but could not afford three.

But it is more likely that these players will want to move on to enable them to play regular first team football, remember Levein described many of these signings as hungry and ambitious, and I would be very surprised if too many would hang around just to be fringe players who get an occasional run out in the reserves.

If Levein manages to get back into football management this summer then I can see a few of our fringe players, especially the ex SPL players being reunited with CL.

Last edited:
PFKAKTF FOX said:
Redditch Fox said:
I dont necessarily agree, both Wigan and West Ham have proved that it is possible to survive without spending silly money in the summer. Sheff Utd are a decent footballing side who I think have a chance of emulating the achievements of Wigan and West Ham. Also in Warnock they have a manager who is experienced and passionate, IMO they could be a dark horse next season.

The biggest question mark hangs over the strikers and whether they have the ability to make that step up. Akinbiyi will be a key player, IMO he must sign a premiership quality striker.

Well, we shall see. I hope I am wrong because I would like to see them do ok.

These days given the outlay needed for wages and agents fees - £10m buys very little and I think they will be dead in the water. I will be surprised if a top striker will join them even if they can afford the fee.

I also think that Paul Jewell would do well to get out of Wigan whilst the going is good. West Ham are a slightly different issue. They find it a bit easier to attract quality players being the fourth most fashionable club in London.

harry said:

Absolutely right.

CL undoubtedly brought in some decent prospects....and he also signed up on a long term basis some complete deadbeats and it's difficult to see anyone paying the likes of Sylla, Hammond and Hammill the wages they are likely to be on here.

On Douglas...when i have made the effort to get to matches, I've thought he was about as good as we could expect. Not up to the standard we would like but just about adequate for where we are now. I'm told that Logan is a decent shot stopper - is there any hope there?

Redditch Fox said:
I'm told that Logan is a decent shot stopper - is there any hope there?

I saw him play at Boston when he was on loan there. Looked very composed, good in the air and a good shot stopper.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
Redditch Fox said:

Their defence are getting on a bit, nice to have experience at the back but need youngsters that have the energy to get forward, Stearman a prime example.

Redditch Fox said:
Absolutely right.

On Douglas...when i have made the effort to get to matches, I've thought he was about as good as we could expect. Not up to the standard we would like but just about adequate for where we are now. I'm told that Logan is a decent shot stopper - is there any hope there?

The trouble is Henderson and Douglas are also good shot stoppers just no good in the air or commanding their area.

Stevie Lynex on the wing said:
The trouble is Henderson and Douglas are also good shot stoppers just no good in the air or commanding their area.

my impression too - and because neither inspire confidence in those around them, the position is an obvious weak link.

The goalie is not an obvious weak link. In several of our recent home matches the only thing Henderson often had to do all game was take the ball out of the back of the net, and the occasional goal kick or offside kick, when he had no chance with a shot. With a strong defence both goalies are fine. You only need a better goalie when the defence is weak.
I would much rather priority for what little money we have goes first into a big strong midfielder, then second into a big strong left sided back/wingback/winger.

Stevie Lynex on the wing said:

Have to disagree on Douglas and shot stopping, Hendo is alot slimmer and more agile, he has pulled off some good point saving stops and as I have said on here loads of times I can not remember Rab doing it once. For this reason I would stick with the Aussie.

Naughty Fox said:
Have to disagree on Douglas and shot stopping, Hendo is alot slimmer and more agile, he has pulled off some good point saving stops and as I have said on here loads of times I can not remember Rab doing it once. For this reason I would stick with the Aussie.

Yea I was only saying the other day that I can't remeber one good save by Rab, the kinda one that makes youjump up in celebration.

I think Hendo has made some great saves during this little run he has had, most notably the incredible save he made from Parkin V Hull. His kicking is the major weakness, plus I dont think he is the loudest keeper around. He doesnt seem to organise the defence which is something Rab does.

Douglas just scares me when he has to come and claim the ball at the strikers feet. I am convinced every time he will give away a pen. It all started on the opening day when he was all over the place. Douglas has cost us goals this season but I think on the whole he is as good as we can hope for.

People have very short memories (or havent been to all of our games) if they can't recall any good saves Douglas has made. :icon_roll

Duzza said:
People have very short memories (or havent been to all of our games) if they can't recall any good saves Douglas has made. :icon_roll

I think I've missed five all season (inc away), how many have you missed?

And if I have such a short memory name these saves of wonder!

PONTUS KAAMARK said:
I think Hendo has made some great saves during this little run he has had, most notably the incredible save he made from Parkin V Hull. His kicking is the major weakness, plus I dont think he is the loudest keeper around. He doesnt seem to organise the defence which is something Rab does.

Douglas just scares me when he has to come and claim the ball at the strikers feet. I am convinced every time he will give away a pen. It all started on the opening day when he was all over the place. Douglas has cost us goals this season but I think on the whole he is as good as we can hope for.

We can hope for better, whether we will get it is another matter. :icon_conf :icon_conf ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669