Todays Daily Mail article on MA

Status
Not open for further replies.
You seem to misunderstand the meaning of exclusive as well, somehow connecting it with 'a small number' or 'few'. If something is said to be exclusive it is belongs to a single group or source and therefore excludes things not in that group or from that source. Nothing to do with number.

I guess the point I was failing to make was that the term select suggests making a choice from several people, albeit as you say on merit, and so this final 'select band' he's meant to be part of appears from Ox's list, to have just about everyone else in it!

Anyway - one thing I do know is that I've managed to bore myself sh!tless. We need a new signing to argue the merits of.

I guess the point I was failing to make was that the term select suggests making a choice from several people, albeit as you say on merit, and so this final 'select band' he's meant to be part of appears from Ox's list, to have just about everyone else in it!

Anyway - one thing I do know is that I've managed to bore myself sh!tless. We need a new signing to argue the merits of.

Yep - preferably from the select band of professional football players.........

Yep - preferably from the select band of professional football players.........

The select band of professional footballers that aren't old knackers / unheard of / sh!t / last seasons pish that we can't offload / products of the "sacked two"'s scouting debacle.

I'm starting to love this Martin Allen Geezer.

But Blimey O'Riley he better live up to this pre football hype. God help him if he doesn't!!!

But Blimey O'Riley he better live up to this pre football hype. God help him if he doesn't!!!

:018: :018: :018: He is only flirting at the moment. ;)

I just think it's a shame that the season has to start. Things are perfect without any proper matches to play and everyone is so happy now and clearly "this Martin Allen Geezer" is the best manager we have ever had. Look the guy has been here months now and we remain undefeated in all competitive games.

Let's give credit where it is due.

What is there to live up to? All he has claimed is that the squad is getting fit and starting to gel.
He has not claimed anything about their performance in the league. No 'This team can beat anybody' sort of stuff.

What is there to live up to?
Correct, but that's only what the sensible people see. Some others are claiming him to be God like (not necc members of this site) and already has gotten us promoted in their eyes.

THEY will be disappointed if he doesn't do it.

Correct, but that's only what the sensible people see. Some others are claiming him to be God like (not necc members of this site) and already has gotten us promoted in their eyes.

Fair point. But it looks good for this season doesn't it?? Not many teams have got squads like ours in this division. Great variety of player in there.

I've not been this genuinelly optimistic for years.

Come on Leicester!!!

I suppose if people are seeing his enthusiasm and hard work, attention to detail and 'going the extra mile', it would appear to add up to a winning formula.
What we do not know yet is how good the team is compared to others in this league.
Taking to the field with probably at least 9 of the 11 new is not good.

I suppose if people are seeing his enthusiasm and hard work, attention to detail and 'going the extra mile', it would appear to add up to a winning formula.
What we do not know yet is how good the team is compared to others in this league.
Taking to the field with probably at least 9 of the 11 new is not good.

Precisely.

It does appear that the bloke has tremendous enthusiasm (in contrast to the images portrayed by Levein & Kelly - whether a fair representation or not) and an eye for detail (contrast with the 'neglect' of potential problems e.g. La Manga by Adams).

He also has had the benefit of Milan's money (unlike his last 3 predecessors) and has brought in lots of new players.

However - those who are not talking him up will be amongst the first to become disillusioned if the rhetoric is not quickly turned into hard results and as you say with such a turnover of players, logic says it will take time.

The clubs with the best chances are more likely to be those who had a decent base from last season and have added to that base - and of course the relegated sides.....but we can still hope and I have voted in another thread that we will finish on the fringe of the play offs

as you said in the first post he's can talk the talk but can he cut it in this leauge i hope to god he can :icon_conf if he can do what he's done for his other clubs then ill be happy .

and no not get us to the play off then leave :icon_roll

but your right melts some do already think he's god i would only go as far as say he's ST Peter at the min go 46 games unbeaten then ill call him god (hope your right BG :icon_wink)

as you said in the first post he's can talk the talk but can he cut it in this leauge i hope to god he can :icon_conf if he can do what he's done for his other clubs then ill be happy .

and no not get us to the play off then leave :icon_roll

but your right melts some do already think he's god i would only go as far as say he's ST Peter at the min go 46 games unbeaten then ill call him god (hope your right BG :icon_wink)

get us to the play offs then lose :102:

Last edited:
Precisely.

It does appear that the bloke has tremendous enthusiasm (in contrast to the images portrayed by Levein & Kelly - whether a fair representation or not) and an eye for detail (contrast with the 'neglect' of potential problems e.g. La Manga by Adams).

He also has had the benefit of Milan's money (unlike his last 3 predecessors) and has brought in lots of new players.

However - those who are not talking him up will be amongst the first to become disillusioned if the rhetoric is not quickly turned into hard results and as you say with such a turnover of players, logic says it will take time.

The clubs with the best chances are more likely to be those who had a decent base from last season and have added to that base - and of course the relegated sides.....but we can still hope and I have voted in another thread that we will finish on the fringe of the play offs

This is why I would prefer a season of consolidation than immediate promotion. It would give us a better chance of survival (and better) once we do get promoted and maybe temper some of the wilder expectations people have of MA.

This is why I would prefer a season of consolidation than immediate promotion. It would give us a better chance of survival (and better) once we do get promoted and maybe temper some of the wilder expectations people have of MA.

NO, NO, NO! You take promotion as soon as possible. It is economic madness to wait and build a 'stronger' team first!

Even if you come straight back down you enjoy an income of £50 milllion+ over three years!

You can build a hell of a lot stronger team with that than with the approx £4 million per year MM is putting in!

Sionnach & Mike's comments above are both perfectly valid & I see both sides. On the whole I'd go for the slightly more 'reckless' option of going for immediate promotion. Why? Because if we fail, you can be sure premiership clubs and the newly promoted clubs will be trying to sign our best players. And most of them would opt to leave, whereas most might opt to stay if we go up.

Last edited:
NO, NO, NO! You take promotion as soon as possible. It is economic madness to wait and build a 'stronger' team first!

Even if you come straight back down you enjoy an income of £50 milllion+ over three years!

You can build a hell of a lot stronger team with that than with the approx £4 million per year MM is putting in!

What's the point? Surely we'd rather see a successful team built on solid foundations - better for long-term stability as well as fan sanity. Anyway, haven't we already been down the 'chuck-loads-of-money-and-hope-for-the-best' route?

What's the point? Surely we'd rather see a successful team built on solid foundations - better for long-term stability as well as fan sanity. Anyway, haven't we already been down the 'chuck-loads-of-money-and-hope-for-the-best' route?

Nonsense. Using your house analogy, when there is strong house price inflation do you save up your pennies for a year or two and then buy or do you buy and struggle for a while until you get yourself established?

Anyone with any sense does the latter because you'll never save (or build a football team with or without money) at the same pace as you generate house price equity (earn zillions by being in the Prem).

The Prem is secure with another massive TV deal. There is no way that even parachute payments from a dire one season effort in the Prem, are not better than gentle progress in the Championship. Yo-yo teams are more likely to stay in the Prem than those who get promoted after years of steady building in the Champ (Reading being the rare exception to the rule).

Precisely.

Are you sure? I would have thought that those who are not talking him up are the more stoical amongst us - we take things as they are, rather than how we imagine them to be. We therefore have the most to gain if the season goes well and the least to lose if it doesn't.

It seems to me that the ones who are most likely to become disillusioned if the results go against us are the very ones who *have* been talking him up. After all, it is they who have had the illusions - and you can only become disillusioned if you had illusions in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46